BOINC RAM advice plz

Associate
2 of my machines have cheap h81 boards with 2 dimm slots that currently have 2 x 2GB DDR3 modules in each machine

I am acquiring 2 x 4GB DDR3 modules (same make, speed and timings as the existing 2GB modules)

As these machines only run BOINC would I be better off making each machine have 6GB (1x4GB & 1x2GB) but lose dual channel bandwidth (I have no idea if bandwidth or capacity is more beneficial for BOINC) or just put the new ram into one machine?

Currently both machines are using virtually all of the 4GB physical ram they have installed but both have sata3 ssd's so the virtual ram / page file is reasonably fast.

Associate
It depends on the project. Math projects like PrimeGrid will probably see a speed difference with faster memory. However, if you are doing a project that uses VM's... those projects will require more RAM regardless. There are a few other projects that are RAM hungry, so you really just need to plan them out.

JTG

JTG

Associate
what i would suggest is ...
check the specks on your MB (bios settings) ... see if it supports RAM Bank interleave ... as an example ... dual channel ram could have a 64 bit bandwith on the MB, but with bank interleave ... it would have 128 Bit bandwith ... this would be desirable

ie. 4x 2 gig sticks would be better than 2x 4 gig sticks

i know this doesnt help right now ... but something to keep in mind down the road

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom