Just starting out

Associate
OP
ahah I am perhaps being super suspicious now... Either way, I'm picking up my new bike next week, but it would be good to know the idiots who stole my old one were caught etc

Soldato
Looking at the pictures you posted of your bike and that bike for sale, it might be your bike.

The L plate mount is 100% the same, ziptied to the fork leg. 200 miles more than your bike had? Hmmm. Dodgy pictures which no respecting person who owned the bike and wanted to sell it would take? Bingo!!

I wouldn't have asked for the reg, that just alerts them that you might know is stolen. I'd pick your biggest, scariest mate, go and view it but keep it to yourselves that you know it's stolen, feign interest and try and get a name or 2 - then leave without buying, and give all the information to the cops. They won't meet you at their house of course, probably a petrol station or dodgy back alley. And the names they give will be fake too, but you can at least give a description. It's not worth going with the intent to take the bike home as you never know what these scrotes will resort to.

Edit: Found the ad, it doesn't look as dodgy at first glance. You can also see exactly which driveway and the house the pics are taken on, and the last digit of the reg number. The pics are OK actually, and it's possible that if the dealer sold multiple WR125x's, he would have mounted the L plates the same way for each :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@TallPaul He's added two extra pictures because I asked him for some more. What drew my suspicions is that he's been a member less than 3 weeks, the mileage, and the L plates were exactly in the same place. Interestingly, in the new pics, he's taken the back L off (it's still visibly attached in the earlier pictures.) DA is Birmingham too... It might all be coincidence, but it was enough to catch my attention.

@Wazza They haven't caught them. I actually haven't heard anything else off the police, and as far as I'm aware, they haven't been to look at the CCTV. I guess they just don't bother with bike crime. The fact that within 2 weeks of reported stolen I'd been contacted by a dealership to arrange the replacement shows how little they care.

Associate
OP
Tracking installed and working - I can now sit and watch my bike at the dealership until I can pick it up on Friday... :p

For those interested in TrakKing I found a voucher that gives 33% off subscription: THEBIKEINSURER33

I just used it and it works - phone only though.

Soldato
Since my bike was stolen, I've been checking out various sites for wr125x's or parts for sale - perhaps a pointless, but I couldn't help myself :p.

This morning I discovered a 125x for sale with less than 200 extra miles on the clock than mine. The sale location is also a couple of hundred miles away...

What's making me really suspicious is that my dealer put the L plates on in such a way that I've never seen on any other bike - the bike in the photos has the L plates in exactly the same places... I've sent an email over asking for more pics and the reg.

Is this kind of circumstantial evidence something the police would laugh at me about, or is it worth giving them a call with the info?

l1.jpg

Have you got a link to the Ad?

Associate
OP
I've just checked, and the ad has been removed. I took screenshots of it, and have the guys number, but even if it was my bike, I doubt anything would be done.

I had a call from the police yesterday...

...they were calling to tell me they haven't looked at the CCTV yet. They were doubtful it would be any use anyway(!) - I wasn't really sure what the point of the call was tbh.

Soldato
Tracking installed and working - I can now sit and watch my bike at the dealership until I can pick it up on Friday... :p

For those interested in TrakKing I found a voucher that gives 33% off subscription: THEBIKEINSURER33

I just used it and it works - phone only though.

How much did you pay for install in the end?

Associate
OP
The police have finally got around to viewing the CCTV and...

...they immediately closed the case :p They called me and said they were wearing helmets so couldn't be identified. So that's that. The thieves were riding a scooter - you'd think they could pick up something from its plate (even if stolen.)

Ah well. I'm picking up the new bike tomorrow morning, so it's all good. I'm actually feeling super excited :D.

Soldato
To be honest, even if they did get caught the sentencing would be laughable, based on this

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/prolific-london-bike-thieves-jailed/30640.html

£200k's worth of bikes stolen, 15 months and 10 months in jail, reduced to 10 months and 5 months because of some bail reason. What a joke :rolleyes:

If they walked into a bank with plastic guns and stole £200k there'd be a manhunt for them and years in prison, but they were only stealing bikes so it doesn't matter.

Associate
OP
Picked up the bike today, and the weather was great for a ride tbh. It was weird, I felt more comfortable on the bike today, and had a lot of fun on the way back home. It's like the 3 weeks bike-less have made me appreciate them more :D.

When I got home I fitted the Kriega us10. To get a good fit, because I'm going to carry a lot of weight in it, I took the seat and top and side fairings off so I could get to the frame. I'll attach the bag with my chains etc tomorrow and see if I notice any difference carting it around.

Associate
OP
I'll be doing a fair bit of riding in the dark, would it be worth changing my headlight bulb to something like a philips H4 X-Treme Vision? It should give it a more white colour, so perhaps will stand out against background headlights? I considered the philips diamond vision, but not sure they're road legal (5000k)?

Last edited:
Soldato
I can hear you changing down the gears, when you do, give the throttle a little twist as you let the clutch out, much smoother that way going down the gears. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom