A good DAC for tight(ish) Budget

Associate
I am just in the process of upgrading the sound on my system and i have found that i need an DAC and get rid of my internal soundcard.
I have ditched my active 2.1 speaker system, logitec Z6323 2.1 THX and gone for a passive set of book shelf monitors powered by a mini amp.

Amp: Amptastic
Speakers:Q2020i

Im currently using an internal sound card, the Creative Sound Blaster Z which sounds great through the amp and speakers, but, and its a big but, i am getting electronic noise coming from my pc and i can hear it through my speakers when they are idol. It annoys me.

So, im looking for DAC so there shouldn't be any interference from inside my case. The main purpose of which is to connect my amp to it so it will need to have analogue left and right line out, headphone amp isnt really need as i use my Kingston HyperX Cloud II's
So whats out there that will give the best i can get for money? Budget is around £100 but i may have to go a little higher.

Im running Win 10 pro so has to be compatible with it.

Soldato
Schiit is where I'd put my money, but then I've not read up on the rPAC much or indeed listened to it.

I believe electromod is one of the official Schiit stockists?

Soldato
I would think the difference in sound quality isn't huge as they both use very good DAC chips and as long as the support circuitry is well implemented a cheap DAC sounds almost as good as an expensive one. That support circuitry is probably going to be a fair bit better with the Schiit as Mike Moffat is an industry leader in digital audio plus the Uber features some filter down tech from the Biftost in it's analogue section.
So while the differences in sound quality will be subtle, they will be there all the same.

Where you will see a difference is in the warranty. The Modi 2 Uber has a warranty with a British company with a very good history of customer service. They will also do repairs (at your expense) on out of warranty equipment, should it fail a few years down the line, which is something a lot of companies won't do. The SMSL is just sold through Amazon by GrandView, who's proper title is "Hong Kong Mint&Jasmine Technology Co.,Limited", so good luck with any warranty there. :D

Associate
Ive just found a UK site for the Schiit gear, out of stock.... Arse

Thanks, ill have a look....

Has anyone had any experience with the Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC or the Optoma NuForce uDAC-3?

I used a uDac2 for about 2 years both as a pre-amp and to run m50 headphones. It was ok but I did get a hum from the speakers when the headphones where plugged in, im not sure how the uDac3 has been improved but personally I would avoid it and go for the Schiit as everyone seems to use that at this price point.

Back
Top Bottom