Preventing I/O Limits on Hard Drive

Associate
I was wondering if a SATA card will give more bandwidth (if that's the correct term) than the SATA ports on a motherboard? For example sometimes I try to burn 2 discs at once and it pauses saying waiting for hard disk to reach activity level. Which means too many other things are trying to access other hard drives connected to my SATA III ports on my motherboard while burning the discs.

Soldato
A SATA card won't help. SATA can physically go no quicker than about 560MB/s.

If you find that the HDD is struggling then get an SSD or get another HDD and go RAID0.

What are the specs of your PC?

Associate
OP
I was planning on getting this:

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel 5960x 16 core @ 4Ghz
64GB DDR4 RAM
M.2 SSD

I currently have a Core i7 2700K 8 Core @3.9Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
SATA III SSD
8TB Seagate Archive SATA III Hard Drives with ISOs on

My problem doesn't happen often, it's just annoying when you're doing several different things that access the hard drive. Is there no way around this problem?

Don
I was wondering if a SATA card will give more bandwidth (if that's the correct term) than the SATA ports on a motherboard?

It's not an issue with bandwidth (as sata bandwidth isn't shared, and a hard drive can't saturate sata bandwidth), it's a limitation of the individual hard drive performance.

For example sometimes I try to burn 2 discs at once

Burning two different discs at once is the issue, as the drive is then having to physically seek to two different locations. A hard drive can't cope with that kind of Random Access - it's a perfect candidate for an SSD.

If you find that the HDD is struggling then get an SSD or get another HDD and go RAID0.

Copy one of the isos to a different drive (HDD or SSD), and you should no issue with burning two images at once.

I was planning on getting this:
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel 5960x 16 core @ 4Ghz
64GB DDR4 RAM
M.2 SSD

Which won't improve anything with regards to burning 2 discs at once - as this is a bottleneck with the single hard drive.

I currently have a ...
8TB Seagate Archive SATA III Hard Drives with ISOs on

The 8TB Archive drives aren't particularly recommended anyway, due to performance issues due to their shingled recording method.
This is more a performance issue when writing to the disk, but if you are downloading to the drive (e.g. torrent client), and trying to burn two isos, that would also be an issue.

burnaware might get around it im not sure

Different software won't get around it, it is a hard drive contention issue, accessing two different files causing the hard drive to seek.

Associate
no, had ssd for c
and would be doing say

d mechanical hdd > f dvd writer
e mechanical hdd > h dvd writer

i think i could do 2 ok most of the time like that
adding a third with usb dvd writer and another hd would give issues.

i think its a software limitation as i burnt at like 4 to 8 times, which isnt requiring a lot from anything

Back
Top Bottom