We want feedback on the Overclockers UK Booths in GAME Stores

OcUK Staff
OP
Here is one for you.

Why would I want to go into a Game store where the staff are as thick as my dog, when I can go to the OC website and order what I want without having to travel from the comfort of my chair.

What would you do?

It is to capture the people who do not know us. Of course if people know of us they will be ordering on the website, but not everyone has heard of us, and by working with GAME and getting PC Gaming back on the high-street, this makes sense by putting our name in front of a completely new audience. - Anyway this discussion is not for this thread, feel free to chat about it in the main thread in the News Section.

As mentioned before please keep the thread on topic, we want feedback from people who has visited the stores and have seen the displays. :)

I will delete any posts after this one, that are not relevant to the topic of the thread.

Associate
I haven't been into one of the stores personally, but from the image that you have posted.

I don't think your branding is strong enough, from the angle the photo is taken (a few feet away) half of your branding is obscured by the PC. If someone (as short as me) were to stand directly in front of the booth i doubt i would be able to see the branding at all.

just my 2p

Soldato
People moaning about Game are totally missing the point.

A lot of people use Game. The shop is always rammed when I walk past. A lot of those people won't of heard of Overclockers and might not even be aware of what you can do with PC gaming. This opens that possibility and opportunity.

Associate
Walked past game the other day and had to do a double take, I think they look great. And I also think they will sell well in store. Loads of people want a "good" pc.. But for average people that want to just walk in and buy... PC world is the only choice.

OcUK Staff
OP
What is the difference between seeing it instore or in the picture in the OP :confused:.

We have 10 stores, they are all different and we want feedback on the experience and what it is like in store. You cannot get this information from this one photo.

Walked past game the other day and had to do a double take, I think they look great. And I also think they will sell well in store. Loads of people want a "good" pc.. But for average people that want to just walk in and buy... PC world is the only choice.

Thank you Jacksonn, did you go into the store, or could you see it from outside of the store? - Which store was this?

Permabanned
Here is one for you.

Why would I want to go into a Game store where the staff are as thick as my dog, when I can go to the OC website and order what I want without having to travel from the comfort of my chair.

What would you do?

Maybe because it's easier for those of us that live or work in and around the city center where the stores are located? Would seem like common sense to me.

Soldato
Amazing how some magazines get published, even with the simplest of typing errors. How do the editors not notice them?

"Old and wanted hardware can can can can can..."

There are a few more errors, too.

Personally, I think the booths look good and the partnership will help OcUK reach the high street.

Last edited:
Associate
Price and products are a bit too premium.
Sounds dumb, but anyone in game looking at PC stuff, is definitely entry level enthusiast, products should be more entry level too.

Maybe just the screensaver rotates through fancy build pictures, or a leaflet.

Plus a big tower unit, doesnt scream LIVING ROOM to me, nor most i expect. A cute ITX build performing at console levels would attract more attention. PPL in game aren't enthusiasts yet, enthusiast level stuff is wasted on them.

Good idea to seed the branding in ppl's minds long term though.

Man of Honour
It's certainly worth a try. Not everything a busienss does is successful and if you don't try it then it may have been a good opportunity missed. This is probably more about advertising and brand awareness and in that respect is probably quite cheap to do.

I think the "click and collect" idea mentioned previously is a good one; being able to order online and have items delivered to your local Game is a nice suggestion.

Soldato
Yeah small living room itx setups would be best in the stores, try and push steam boxes there when time comes. Show going at them stores with steam big picture mode and demo it to show u can do it with controllers as that's what console gamers are used to.

Associate
I've just been to see the one in St David's 2, Cardiff. The OCUK stand is small and on the left, right next to the entrance so it's very easy to miss.

I had a look at the system and monitor they had set up and grabbed one of the system cards on the side. It looked nice and there were a few items for sale underneath; I noticed a Samsung SSD and an i7 processor. One of the shelves did seems to be missing items, the holders were there but the items themselves were missing...

I'll go back and grill the staff next time to see if they know their stuff.

Permabanned
Popped into the Cardiff store and had a play around with the system, looks decent.

Pretty much the same as the original post, two issues with the booth really, firstly it was tucked away in the corner so will likely go unnoticed, not sure what you can do about that but I had to look around for it.

Secondly there was no OCUK branding on top, there is in the booth in the OP (just a blank white space where it should have been), which also made it difficult to spot.

Soldato
Ok, some constructive criticism here :p

Just had a look at the Chester one, the PC section is at the front of the store so it's one of the first things you see (right next to the big steam display.

Some system was on display in a Corsair Case, but no obvious specs (it had price). Screen below was running TF2 (paused). I'd personally suggest having it run through a looped demo rather than sat on a pause screen.

There was gift card things to the left and right with system specs and prices on, I presume this is what you take to the till if you want something - but there was no obvious information on whether these were stocked or built to order.

Underneath was a glass cabinet with some random components in there and prices with a brief description. Again no idea if I could walk away with this stuff or not.

Personally, if I'm going into a physical store I probably want to walk out with something - but this doesn't seem to fit the bill. Also before I went in I'd imagined a few peripherals on display or available to look at. For me, this would be a bit of a boon as looking at something like a mouse or keyboard in the flesh is beneficial before buying.

I would say the systems need to be clearer labelled if they're built to order (which I'm assuming they are). I'd like to see some peripherals on display to have a look at (and buy) as well as a list of components they actually have to buy on site.

There's obviously only so much you can do in such a small space, but for me it didn't seem to offer much use...

Soldato
You should market these purely on the POWER advantage. Lose the keyboard and mouse, just have a controller and a Steam Big Picture account per booth, with like Witcher 3 running or something. Once you get console-centric passerbys looking at how much more powerful a reasonable spec PC is then you have opened the door to the rest of the package.

Permabanned
Some system was on display in a Corsair Case, but no obvious specs (it had price). Screen below was running TF2 (paused). I'd personally suggest having it run through a looped demo rather than sat on a pause screen.

A looping demo is a good idea but then you would have to stop it in order to try whatever game was running, someone would have to start the looping demo again once users have stopped testing it. I can't imagine the staff bothering to be honest.

More information in general would be a good thing on how you buy the items and if they're stocked or not. I'm assuming the systems are built to order and they have no stock for items on display, I would imagine the staff take details and it's ordered for them.

I would be surprised if I was wrong though

Soldato
TF2 is also hardly a showcase for PC gaming, the graphics are probably the most primitive out there.

Isn't it free though? i.e they don't have to spend £xx per store to license a new AAA on each machine.

In an ideal world if you want to 'showcase' PC gaming then you'd have a demo running the same game (lets say Witcher 3 for instance), once running in console mode with medium graphics running sub 30fps with a comparison of PC mode running high details at 60+ fps. But Game might not want to alienate their console shoppers.

Back
Top Bottom