Formula Boinc 2016

Soldato
OP
Hanluc, I see you have run some WEP work but you are getting mixed 32 (v1.09) and 64 bit (v1.13) work. The 32 bit work is a lot slower so to force it to do 64 bit work only (your primary platform) you need to add this within the <options> to your cc_config.xml...

<no_alt_platform>1</no_alt_platform>

One of my boxes never needed it, don't know why. You just need to remember you set it when you want 32 bit work for other projects though !

Done, thanks for that.
I finding FB quite addictive :)

Soldato
OP
FB is so fast moving it would be nice to see who has gained/dropped points from where, bar taking screenshots all the time it's difficult to know and I think TSBT know how to play this game, they have max points on projects that currently have no work, I think it's a case of get'em while they're hot.

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Back up to second behind TSBT.

It doesn't help when the team total stays the same and you don't notice what went down and what went up !

Slowly creeping up with the monkeys...

Associate
The strategies really are simple. You focus like this:

1. Projects that rarely have work - have everything you can attached calling for work
2. Projects that go down often - higher priority to grab work while you can
3. Projects that are less popular - many teams focus on their favored sciences rather than these challenge sites
4. Leave projects like WCG and other fan favorites as backup projects and challenge projects. Those will be the hardest to ever get positioning anyways.

The problem with the point system is that you can squat on points year round on projects that don't have fair opportunity to progress.

Edit: 5. The last thing to remember is if a new project is added the second half of the year, everyone will be re-adjusting strategies/hitting it hard/or letting the waters settle before diving in after it. Mostly just the mega milestone chasers. So, those projects tend to have a little easier time to accumulate position as large teams that have a bunch of 1 box donors will slowly educate them and trickle them on board. Most teams have their positions locked in the second half of the year. The 4th quarter is a shorter quarter and tend to be when the WCG challenges take place. Since large teams have already had all year to accumulate vast points in those projects and partake in the challenges, it is unlikely any challenge contribution will help you gain scoring points. Also, by focusing on WCG at the end... that is typically when Formula-BOINC is monitoring a teams output for the coming year. So, WCG is low scoring. If you want to stay in League 2.... WCG CPU/SETI GPU. If you want to bump to League 1, well.. you focus on projects like POGS that score higher as well as Collatz/GPUGrid.

Last edited:
Associate
ok i need a new project , any suggestions?
yer i know i got us to 6th place and 8 points in Universe but they kicking out new wu`s that take 12 hours instead of 3 but only give 800 points instead of 333 tho some are 8 hours and they give 800 so it seems 800 max no matter the time they take.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Hopefully the admin will get it sorted, he usually does.

MindModeling sent a load of tasks out yesterday with 6 hour deadlines and estimated run times of 2 hours that could turn into 5 days :eek:

CSG started sending out some DNA work last night, not sure how much is left but Travis seems back at the helm and says he'll be sending more work out.

Soldato
whats the best cpu projects that needs working at? thanks to BaBa ive just had a delivery and as soon as I get the PSU I should be good to go with some cpu boinc projects

p.s have you guys check the freecycle? ba is giving stuff away for the cost of postage

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sztaki Desktop Grid is worth considering running alongside another project, runtimes are short and there is very little work but worth picking some up when they have it.

The lattice project is similar as well, sparce and quick, though it occasionally has some faulty ones that go on forever, just delete those. It hasn't reached 2m points yet but it should soon.

There's Gerasim as well, which only seems to give out 1 WU per update on my box.

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Sztaki Desktop Grid is worth considering running alongside another project, runtimes are short and there is very little work but worth picking some up when they have it.

I put Sztaki on yesterday and have only just received some work for it.
When I checked it seems I'm validating your work !
I need to slow my 4790k down as you are taking 500+ seconds to run and mine are 100-200 seconds, consequently you are looking for a credit of 4-5 but are only getting the 1 that mine is recording :(

Soldato
OP
I put Sztaki on yesterday and have only just received some work for it.
When I checked it seems I'm validating your work !
I need to slow my 4790k down as you are taking 500+ seconds to run and mine are 100-200 seconds, consequently you are looking for a credit of 4-5 but are only getting the 1 that mine is recording :(

Huh, thanks a lot! :D I had never noticed that before, but it seems you are right, they award credit based on the fastest machine, not much of an incentive really to have a fast machine.

Associate
Remember they should overclock, have a look for turionpowercontrol and have a look on the [H] forums for how to use it.

They have unlocked multipliers should get to 2.8 easy.

Back
Top Bottom