Bike License

Soldato
FWIW, i'm a 'product' of the new restriction methods and licensing, and while I agree with it, i think A) it's ridiculous we don't have any kind of similar restrictions for cars, and B) i think it's ridiculous I have to do the same tests again, two years later on the same bike except it's unrestricted. The restriction will have no effect at the speeds you use on test.

Anywho, I've not had a read through, but i'm sure CBT, Theory, Mod 1 and Mod 2 have been explained.

I did mine in February 2014 and have been riding a restricted SV650S since then. I'm planning to do my Mod 1+ Mod 2 (again) on my bike in either February or April, and will then keep my SV for at least a few months and experience understricted-ness.

Just thinking a restricted 650 may be better for you than a 250 if you'll be riding on a motorway on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think you should just have to do the Mod 1 again to show you can handle the new power, because as you said you've already proven your knowledge of the road etc.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully we'll both ace them! I'm a bit useless with usernames. Are you the member who just put down a deposit on a sweet looking SV650?

I am indeed, I keep leering at it. :o :D :cool:

Do you have a bike in mind for your first?

Which test centre are you tests at if you don't mind me asking? I'm up north in Nottingham. I had a choice of Mansfield or Nottingham, but Mansfield was all booked out!

Last edited:
Associate
If you pass mod 1 on a 125, can you pass mod2 on a 600 etc or are you restricted to a 125 on mod 2 too?

I'm asking because I was looking at test booking, and it seems you can book yourself in and attempt the test without an instructor?

Soldato
If you pass mod 1 on a 125, can you pass mod2 on a 600 etc or are you restricted to a 125 on mod 2 too?

I'm asking because I was looking at test booking, and it seems you can book yourself in and attempt the test without an instructor?

For a full A licence you have to pass on a big bike which is over 40kw & 600cc (or around there, not sure on exact figures). If you pass/take the test on a 125 then you'll only get your A1 licence.

You can book yourself and take it without an instructor if you want, but you need some way of getting the right sized bike to the test centre as you can't ride it on your own on L plates.

Associate
Do you need to pass both mod 1 and mod 2 on a big bike? If I could do mod 1 on my 125, then use a big bike for mod 2 and be unrestricted, that'll be a fair bit of saving. I've been googling but can't find any info on this.

Soldato
OP
So mad, it is snowing. Been snowing for a few hours now, and my first day out on the bike is tomorrow. My gut is telling me that if it gets worse, then it will be cancelled. Typical :mad:. I guess i will find out when phoning the instructor tomorrow morning. :(

Soldato
So mad, it is snowing. Been snowing for a few hours now, and my first day out on the bike is tomorrow. My gut is telling me that if it gets worse, then it will be cancelled. Typical :mad:. I guess i will find out when phoning the instructor tomorrow morning. :(

Why's your first day tomorrow when your test isn't for 2 weeks?

Soldato
OP
Fingers crossed Mother Nature doesn't do one over you. I had a month between my first 2 mod1 training days and genuinely felt the second day wasn't needed

I know what the MOD1 entails, but I still feel apprehensive about it all. I hope after a quick runs around what it is on the bike will make me happy.

As my CBT was cancelled, I decided to take the trials bike out for a spin. Incredibly fun I must say. Really easy to control, and can do slow speed stuff with no issues, so that should transfer over to the road bike I guess.

The trials bike is a Kawasaki KT-250, 1982 (I think? My dad got It new at the time!) :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom