Folding@home News 7th - 14th January

Associate
Thanks, I have a few things to sort, and will try and set up folding soon.

Never realized there were teams set up though. I always thought it was a solo venture.

Is OCUK highly ranked? :p

Associate
Thanks for the news I'm hoping to be running again next week. I had to give away a 970 to my brother though, which was supposed to be short term because he couldn't play Just Cause 3 without his Radeon card crashing it all the time.
Haven't got the heart to ask for it back, he's so happy playing that game :D

Not sure what I'll be running, probably just my 980ti's I'm considering selling off my Midas rig now that I'm jobless but maybe not immediately....Would be hard to part with...!

Also thanks for some of the messages I've had privately, appreciate it. :D

Soldato
nice to see you back around colin
but dam... after just reading that build thread of midas again im thinking it would be hard to part with... like selling of a body part!. I hope you find a job ASAP when home and DONT have to sell it, the time and money in that makes it worth far more than youll get selling it

Associate
I kinda waiting on confirmation of my severance so depending on what that is I'll see. I'd hate to sell it, I'd like to let it continue folding. Maybe pick up a shoreside job for a while and get it running again, fingers crossed.

Soldato
hay radec, your not bennon1221 are you?. they have only just signed up so I guess it could be you

if it is , once you get to 10 completed work units, that's when youll get your bonus points

Soldato
techpower up has been slowed down a tad now now and some of the other teams that were due to overtake have gone from months to years now! :D

hopefully col when your home it should slow them down even more :D

I noticed divbod use to be a keen folder with his 970 , and mark001282 did some big numbers aswell.

Associate
Thanks for the news. Got my GTX 980's going and they seem to be stable now :D. These are only part time though. May look at getting another pair for my Xeon rig but that's not much of an option right now :(

Xeon rig has been doing some work with its 24 threads but not getting much due to assignment server issues. It can get work by running 4x6 core instances but that yealds a 40% reduction in PPD which I don't feel is worth it.

Soldato
Mine is failing to get work units now.

14:44:45:WU01:FS00:Connecting to 171.67.108.45:8080
14:44:46:WARNING:WU01:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.45:8080': Empty work server assignment
14:44:46:WU01:FS00:Connecting to 171.67.108.204:80
14:44:47:WARNING:WU01:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.204:80': Empty work server assignment
14:44:47:ERROR:WU01:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment

Soldato
uninstall folding client including data and reinstall, I had that problem before and I searched every were , fire wall blocked blah blah, nothing worked apart from reinstalling

Associate
I downloaded the client today, and kind of had a look.
Ostrava for team 10.

It doesn't really say the difference between light, medium and full. Or at least I couldn't find any information if it does?
Also, is there anything I should be doing whilst folding, checking up on it, or do I just let it do it's thing?

My PC became a little choppy when it was running, so I'd like to be able to tweak it if I could?

Soldato
how many cores does your pc have? what ever it is reduce the number so your gpu has one free , I have a 4 core so I only allow it to fold on 3 cores as the gpu takes a core, or some times ill change it down to only 2 cores if im doing something that needs abit more cpu grunt.

whos skunge :o whos doing some serious points!

Last edited:
Associate
3570k with a gtx 970. So 4 cores also.

Does the CPU and GPU fold two different projects?
And where can I change these settings?
In FAH control?

Thanks

Soldato
a gtx 970 is a seriously good folding card, the cpu & gpu do have different work units, as youll notice the GPU will be doing most of the points.

if you open folding client > configuration > slots > double click on CPU . were it shows CPU folding slot it will say -1 , change this to 3 or even 2

Soldato
your PPD ( points per day ) will be fairly low until you have completed and returned 10 work units, after 10 youll notice that you are then rewarded with a MASSIVE quick return bonus

Associate
I see.
Like I said the other day though, I used to leave my PS3 on all the time with FAH, and wasn't even aware there were teams, and points with scoreboards.

So I'm not really bothered by the points earned. I folded just to add that extra help. :p

Back
Top Bottom