Football manager 2016

Associate
So now after finishing my first season in second (drew the penultimate match which would have made the last game against Chelsea the title decider)

Rooney left in Jan for Arsenal for 30mil. So in the summer was time to splash the cash. I bought Pogba (Final cost of £100 mil) Laporte (£30mil) and Ibrahimovic (13mil) And after tweaking my formation a bit to better suit these players i'm off to a good start. Ibra is 4 in 4, Martial is 3 in 1(2 sub)
And Laporte is controlling the defence much better. No balls over the top causing problem now.
As long as Martial or Barbosa can step up to replace ibra thats my spending for a while done.

Associate
Give Martial and Barbosa game time and you won't need to think about a striker for the next 10+ seasons, although I am currently using Barbosa on the right as an inside-forward - has an average rating of 8.13 this season after 18 games.

Also don't neglect James Wilson, he can turn into an excellent striker with a bit of luck and TLC.

Soldato
Having real issues trying to sign players needing work permits in FM 16. Last years' game you could frequently push a signing through if they were good enough, despite them not having the required international appearances. Now though... not a chance.

Sign them anyway and send them out on loan to Spain if possible. Make sure the team will provide first team football so they continue to improve. Two seasons is enough to give them Spanish citizenship (if they're South American).

You can also request an affiliate from the board, specify that it's so you can get work permits. Unfortunately when I've done this they've only ever offered, French, Irish, or Romanian teams so far, all of which require 5 years.

Soldato
Sign them anyway and send them out on loan to Spain if possible. Make sure the team will provide first team football so they continue to improve. Two seasons is enough to give them Spanish citizenship (if they're South American).

You can also request an affiliate from the board, specify that it's so you can get work permits. Unfortunately when I've done this they've only ever offered, French, Irish, or Romanian teams so far, all of which require 5 years.

Yeah - I've got the affiliate thing going on, but as you say it takes ages with certain countries. I'd noticed a couple of Latam players obtaining Spanish nationality really quickly in the game, but hadn't realised it was that quick! Will definitely do this.

I've got £22m to spend and about £230k in available wages, but I just can't seem to get anyone decent interested, and I'm always loathe to buy ok but average players when you can typically get those types of players on free or loan. I also had forgotten about the maximum loans in from other EPL sides and had to cancel a loan from Man City for a WBL/ML/AML who's not only a wonderkid but also one of the best left sided players in the game :(

Had my first and only EPL game last night, the season opener against a strong Brentford side. Hit the post in the first 30 seconds, then again later in the game, before losing 3-1. Going to be a tough season.

Associate
Give Martial and Barbosa game time and you won't need to think about a striker for the next 10+ seasons, although I am currently using Barbosa on the right as an inside-forward - has an average rating of 8.13 this season after 18 games.

Also don't neglect James Wilson, he can turn into an excellent striker with a bit of luck and TLC.

I have Berardi in that position and he was my top scorer with 20+ goals in the season. Martial got 15ish but i think the problem was my formation.

Soldato
Yeah - I've got the affiliate thing going on, but as you say it takes ages with certain countries. I'd noticed a couple of Latam players obtaining Spanish nationality really quickly in the game, but hadn't realised it was that quick! Will definitely do this.

I've got £22m to spend and about £230k in available wages, but I just can't seem to get anyone decent interested, and I'm always loathe to buy ok but average players when you can typically get those types of players on free or loan. I also had forgotten about the maximum loans in from other EPL sides and had to cancel a loan from Man City for a WBL/ML/AML who's not only a wonderkid but also one of the best left sided players in the game :(

Had my first and only EPL game last night, the season opener against a strong Brentford side. Hit the post in the first 30 seconds, then again later in the game, before losing 3-1. Going to be a tough season.

I double checked and I think I was wrong, I don't think it is two years. Although as I said I did have a weird one where someone got a permit really quickly so I'm not sure.

It's annoying as I have two amazing young players that I cannot get permits for, they'll probably never play a game for me!

Associate
I double checked and I think I was wrong, I don't think it is two years. Although as I said I did have a weird one where someone got a permit really quickly so I'm not sure.

It's annoying as I have two amazing young players that I cannot get permits for, they'll probably never play a game for me!

Think Croatia is only 2 years for a WP, 3 max. Belgium is fairly quick as well and players seem to get more game time in Belgium than the relatively large squads of Spain, Portugal and Italy. I have Dinamo as an affiliate and outside of Red Star they are definitely one of the better ones to have.

Associate

So i thought i would do an update on how these players developed in my game (2020 - 2021 season)

Bernardo Silva - Before/After - this guy is truly amazing he is my main right winger who plays as an inside forward who can just score for fun when he decides to start cutting into the inside middle from the wing

Hirving Lozano - Before/After - I really rate Lozano as brillaint left winger who is world class quality but he can't hold a candle to Depay who is just on a whole another level in the same position, i use Lozano in my backup team which i use to develop the younger talents in my team

Youri Tielemans - Before/After - Well what can i say about Tielemans he is just brilliant in central midfield and a must buy for anyone who knows him in Football Manager because he just never fails to deliver on the pitch and is worth the wait when developing him over the first couple of seasons

Abdelhak Nouri - Before /After - There really isn't much to say about Nouri but he's a very reliable player who can pay well in 4 different positions but i use him as a central midfielder in my backup team

Kuki - Before/After - well what can i say about this failure of a transfer, he didn't develop at all during his time since i bought him so i had to let his contract run out in the end

Thought i would update you lot on some players to considering buy him you need some brilliant English players Dele Alli and Eric Dier who are both from Tottenham and there are just bloody brilliant buys for me, they both replaced world class players who was already in me first team at the time, Dele Alli was a replacement for Koke who was getting a bit old for my liking so i sold him on and i really happy with Alli and i think he his better then Koke but on paper Koke knocks him out the park but performance wise Alli just wipes the floor with Koke and as for Eric Dier he is just bloody awesome right back for me and he gets so many assists when he comes forward it's unreal and if you need more convincing on both of them look at there average rating for my current season.

Last edited:
Associate
Just started a Man U save and won the treble (L, FA, CL) in my first season! Always like to tighten up the squad(s) Main transfers were:

2015-2016
IN: Pogba - 80 mil (splashed due to him being trained @ club)
IN: Youri Tielemans - 25 mil
IN: Gabriel Barbosa - 12 MIL (Bargain)
IN: Christian Träsch - 10 MIL (Backup for Darmian)
IN: Emanuel Mammana - 18 mil (fast becoming the no.1 CB in my team)
IN: Jorge - 10.5 mil, (rest of season spent on loan to Flemish, as good if not better than Shaw)
OUT: Antonio Valencia - 15 Mil to PSG
OUT: Marouane Fellaini - 8 mil
OUT: Michael Carrick - 1 mil to chelsea
OUT: Valdes to Everton

2016-2017
IN: Neymar - 100 mil (replacement for the outstanding Depay)
IN: Vidal - 70 Mil (Kinda wished I hadn't done this one as Javier Mascherano went on sale in Jan for 10 mil)
IN: Eric Dier - 33 Mil to replace the sold Darmian (in which i relized he wasn't trained in the country LOL)
IN: Andre Wisdom - 11.25 mil (backup)
OUT: Memphis Depay - 46 Mil to Real (would rather have neymar, barbosa and Martial)
OUT: Daley Blind - 28 MIL to bayern
OUT: Matteo Darmian - 28 to MIL PSG
OUT: Morgan Schneiderlin - 26.5 Mil to PSG
OUT: Marcos Rojo - 25.5 mil to Bayern
OUT: Bastian Schweinsteiger - 22 Mil Tottenham
OUT: Ashley Young - 10 Mil - Sampdoria
OUT: Christian Träsch - 5.5 Mil to Stoke

few youngsters, too

My development of Youri Tielemans is more geared to making him more physical and quick, as he can make for a great Attacking right winger/Playmaker.

so far squad is:

de gea,
Dier, Mammana (some name LOL), Smalling, Shaw,

Vidal,
Pogba, Tielemans/Mata,

Barbosa , Martial , Neymar

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you cheating? I haven't played ManU but can't imagine them getting a 170mill budget like you spent first season.

Apologies if you aren't but that's huge amount of money.

Associate
It's not that far fetched to be honest, I won the PL in my first season, bloody spurs knocked me out of both cups and I lost to Madrid in the CL final.

I had a budget of 80 million at the start of the second season, so considering he had a better campaign plus sold almost 200 mill in players its not unforeseeable that he had a massive budget.

Associate
Are you cheating? I haven't played ManU but can't imagine them getting a 170mill budget like you spent first season.

Apologies if you aren't but that's huge amount of money.

Not at all. 60 mil budget and sold some players but the reason i got the transfers in is because i ALWAYS spread massive transfers over 48 months which brings the price out of this season's budget WAY down.

i.e Try loading up a new man u save and offer pogba's worth, negotiate to 80-81 then when it's accepted change the offer to 20-30 mil upfront then the rest over 48 months and see how much it takes off your budget ;). this has worked for many players in so many versions of FM now.

the 2nd season, you'll notice, the sales actually paid for the buys (-26 mil i think all in all)

edit: must admit tho the first season was tight up until new year when the board allowed me more cash to spend - which I didn't even bother with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not at all. 60 mil budget and sold some players but the reason i got the transfers in is because i ALWAYS spread massive transfers over 48 months which brings the price out of this season's budget WAY down.

i.e Try loading up a new man u save and offer pogba's worth, negotiate to 80-81 then when it's accepted change the offer to 20-30 mil upfront then the rest over 48 months and see how much it takes off your budget ;). this has worked for many players in so many versions of FM now.

the 2nd season, you'll notice, the sales actually paid for the buys (-26 mil i think all in all)

edit: must admit tho the first season was tight up until new year when the board allowed me more cash to spend - which I didn't even bother with.

Fair play :)

Back
Top Bottom