A4 2.0tdi sluggish and feels hesitant

Soldato
Well it was the fuel filter. The gunk coming out of it was like treacle!!

Changed filter and added some cleaner additive and much better. Going to fill up with Diesel Ultimate over the next few times and should be nice and healthy again.

We weren't actually too sure if it has ever been changed the state of the gunk inside it!

Mine was in the same state according to VW. However, if the gunk was oil it can be a sign of the seals on the tandem pump failing. This allows engine oil into the fuel system!

May be worth changing it again next year to be sure :)

Glad you're sorted.

Soldato
Well it was the fuel filter. The gunk coming out of it was like treacle!!

Changed filter and added some cleaner additive and much better. Going to fill up with Diesel Ultimate over the next few times and should be nice and healthy again.

We weren't actually too sure if it has ever been changed the state of the gunk inside it!

Sounds about right! My missus had a similar but more severe issue with her focus, would dip, lose almost all power and judder along, You'd get error codes but they were always different, yet always related to fuel so it took the engineers a few attempts to put right. Those fuel filters on the diesels I'm told are quite fine so clog easily.

Man of Honour
I remember talking to someone a few years ago who works for a firm that supply parts to garages. He told me that, often, garages would place an order for a 'full kit' for a service, then return the fuel filter even if it was on the schedule. Presumably the customer would have no idea (especially if the garage didn't charge for the FF), and that car would get sold on as FSH etc.

Soldato
Like I said with my Mondeo, it was always serviced at a main dealer and my (similar) problem happened only a few months after a service. The state of the air filter would suggest it hadnt been changed in a LONG time!

Soldato
OP
Just returned from a 250mile round trip today and car is running sweet, 200 mile round trip tomorrow so going to fill the car with ultimate just to give it a bit more of a chance.

Soldato
OP
600 miles in and running sweet. Must have been such a progressive change to the point of all of a sudden going as I can't remember the car driving as smooth as it does.

Even managed to hi 59mpg average on a trip the other day...I have NEVER seen this figure on the car before!

Associate
With servicing my own cars which are diesels I do the oil/filter every 6-8K and a fuel filter every other oil change.

In all my years of running diesel cars never had a mechanical engine related fault :)

I also check the filters on our cars that are in warranty and are dealer serviced before and after so I know they are done!

Back
Top Bottom