What watch do you wear?

Soldato
If they made it properly, it wouldn't need lubrication. But hey ho, they did their best!

I am all ear as to how you put a mechanical watch together without lubrication, as is the Swiss watch industry,

if you can put this down in design, then you my friend could be up there with George Daniels, CBE, DSc, FBHI, FSA, AHCI.

who of course invented the co-axial escapement.

as for servicing intervals, there are a few different camps on this, my personal opinion is, if it isn't broken, don't fix it, I have a speedmaster here that has not been serviced for over 10 years, and functions fine, accurate to 10 sec +/- a day,

granted I wouldn't go swimming with it, as the seals have probably perished. but otherwise a great watch, if I purchased a new PO now, I would negotiate a free service into the price, and submit it after 5 years, after that I would expect it to run for 10 more without service.

Associate
I'm currently watching a few omega seamaster watches on eBay, older ones from 1950s to 1970s. They appear to be going between 2 - 400quid. Obviously mint versions are going for a higher price. Worth the effort or too much hassle?

Vintage Omegas are a minefield. Lot's of fakes/redials/frankenwatches around. In addition many vintage watches are small on the wrist by today's standards.

There's some bargains to be had such as the electronic ones of the 70s/80s but I'd spend some time on the Omega forums before you consider buying anything.

Soldato
Vintage Omegas are a minefield. Lot's of fakes/redials/frankenwatches around. In addition many vintage watches are small on the wrist by today's standards.

There's some bargains to be had such as the electronic ones of the 70s/80s but I'd spend some time on the Omega forums before you consider buying anything.

I suspected it would be a mixed bag as I was reading that if you put an omega back for repair / service they send you back the faulty part as proof of the fix they have done so ebay watches theoretically could be made up of parts which aren't one hundred percent 'new' / original. Will take a deeper look into things first though before i decide to take the plunge.

Part of the reason i was looking at things like that was to try a restoration job on something but I'd probably be looking at a variety of parts rather than a fully functioning watch. :)

Soldato
I went through a period of picking up stuff on eBay and you can get stung, I know I did, but I lost a couple of hundred and the deals I got overall have been worth it.
I got a Brosnon Seamaster, auto, full size, mint for 900GBP, sold it for 1400GBP after 6 months.
A quartz Longines Conquest for 250EUR and sold it for 600EUR, mint in box.

Then my Tudor was 440GBP I think, and they're up for ~1450 now, and my wife's Tudor princess white gold was 250 and they're about 700... so some deals to be had, but I've wasted about 250 on gambles!

Soldato
No word of a lie. I love this watch lol. Certainly a conversation starter. I've had fancy watches, multiple watches, dress watches, sports watches. Now I just wear this. because why not.

DSC_0724.jpg

Associate
Just got a rather interesting Dunhill...

The A-Centric Pentagraph.

Dual time zone, second hand and date all from the centre. Movement designed especially for Dunhill by Dubois-Depraz.

Designed by Tom Bolt (this is the first off the run, given to him 000/300).

DNEfzjY.jpg

OxYTrLO.jpg

gWibZ3H.jpg

Associate
That's quite a find! Very impressive dial on it too.

I like their harking-back to their lighters with the butane refill nozzle :D

Seriously though, any idea what that does? Is that the advance for the second timezone?

That particular button advances the date. There's a further two on the other side which advances the local hour back and forward.

You set the second time zone, along with local time with the main crown and then adjust the local time forwards / backwards each hour.

Obviously not so good for timezones with a 30 min difference but quite impressive that they managed to fit it all on the centre pin nonetheless!

Soldato
That particular button advances the date. There's a further two on the other side which advances the local hour back and forward.

You set the second time zone, along with local time with the main crown and then adjust the local time forwards / backwards each hour.

Obviously not so good for timezones with a 30 min difference but quite impressive that they managed to fit it all on the centre pin nonetheless!

Ahh nice, thank you for the information.

Will it be a wearer or a safe keeper? They seem pretty scarce (only 1000 made? Not sure if that's of your particular variation as there are other options out there it seems).

Associate
Ahh nice, thank you for the information.

Will it be a wearer or a safe keeper? They seem pretty scarce (only 1000 made? Not sure if that's of your particular variation as there are other options out there it seems).

Wearer for sure. 1000 Stainless Steel and 300 Gold.

Huge fan of Dunhill. Also have the Facet 1936 (but that's a less than interesting standard ETA movement).

Soldato
So if I had a budget of 1 k what sort of brands should I be looking at? I was settlled on Christainward then friends talk me out of it.

Would love an Omega but 2k upwards is too much for me.

Also where are reputable 2nd hand watch seller?

Back
Top Bottom