Just starting out

Soldato
Hopefully not too many changes before the summer, too cold to start right now.

So you reckon find a school that is willing to bring me from rookie to licence holder.
Anyone know how much this could cost for a complete rookie? I did my CBT in 2014 but never got a bike so consider me a complete rookie.

3 day courses start at around £500, that should include test fees, 4 days you are looking at £650-£700 including test fees.

If your CBT runs out before you do your DAS you'll have to do another one before they let you do your DAS.

Soldato
Thanks, I doubt a 4 day course would be enough so maybe I start I'ma 125 with my local school on a pay as you go basis and go to an intensive course once I've ridden for a while.

Soldato
Thanks, I doubt a 4 day course would be enough so maybe I start I'ma 125 with my local school on a pay as you go basis and go to an intensive course once I've ridden for a while.

4 days is plenty even for a novice, I know people who's never ridden and passed their course in 2 days! :)

Soldato
Haha I barely passed my CBT in 1 day lol. I would feel better getting time in saddle at my local school as they are cheap. Maybe a bit during spring then during the summer I will have an intensive 4 day course.

Associate
4 days is plenty even for a novice, I know people who's never ridden and passed their course in 2 days! :)

I personally wouldn't like to see a person who's had 2 days flying about on a r1. Just from my experience I wasn't confident in myself on the road in 2days at all and I had drove for 11 years

Soldato
Hopefully not too many changes before the summer, too cold to start right now.

So you reckon find a school that is willing to bring me from rookie to licence holder.
Anyone know how much this could cost for a complete rookie? I did my CBT in 2014 but never got a bike so consider me a complete rookie.

I'm pretty much a rookie bar the odd time in a field on a pit bike.

Due to where I work I can't really do the extensive course so I have done it they way you described as 'pay as you go' lol.

So far I've done my CBT which was about £135
Theory which was £23
I booked 1 day at the end of November for Mod 1 training - 8 hours for £140
Another day of Mod 1 training and test which I think I paid about £220
I've booked and paid for 2 days training and mod 2 test which was £430

I wish someone would've told me how expensive learning to ride can be!

Remember, I was basically a novice and I think depending how easy you find riding a bike, mod 1 can easily be done with just 1 day training

Soldato
£1k, that's about right for everything from CBT onwards - most places will charge £700-1000 for a 4-5 day DAS course round here. And you've not even got to the expensive bit yet, buying a bike/kit/insurance etc. etc. :D

Soldato
Yeah it's dawning on me how much more I need to spend. I've got boots, gloves and a jacket so far. Need my Helmet and bike next.

Then a lock and chain.............

does it ever end? haha

Soldato
This. It never ends. :D

New bike, new bits for new bike, new helmet/leathers, new exhaust, new levers, more carbon... then once you have everything you could need for the current bike... you get a new one and need new bits for that one. :D

Then there's tyres/satnav/luggage/rucksacks etc...

Soldato
I might as well just keep my car the amount I'm spending! Though I did consider selling my car and getting something smaller engine wise and have the bike for commuting and fun

Soldato
I'll probably start of with cheap kit, currently have a hand me down A* textile jacket! But Once I'm riding I'll gradually buy myself a nice leather jacket and so on.

I think the only bit of kit I'll be getting which is semi decent will be a helmet. Not something super fancy but in the £200-£350 bracket.

Soldato
I'll probably start of with cheap kit, currently have a hand me down A* textile jacket! But Once I'm riding I'll gradually buy myself a nice leather jacket and so on.

I think the only bit of kit I'll be getting which is semi decent will be a helmet. Not something super fancy but in the £200-£350 bracket.

Shark Helmets tend to be at a nice price point, and are lovely to wear. Mine is really comfortable. Have you looked into the s700 or the s900?

Soldato
If you're only doing a few thousand miles a year, only riding when it's dry etc then you can spend a lot less on kit. It's when you're doing 12k a year, in sub zero temperatures, and lashing rain, and 35 degree heat, that better kit is worth the extra money.

Helmet - get one that fits. That's most important thing. A £600 helmet that doesn't fit isn't better than a £100 one that fits perfectly.

Soldato
Shark Helmets tend to be at a nice price point, and are lovely to wear. Mine is really comfortable. Have you looked into the s700 or the s900?

I haven't actually looked into them but now I will, thanks for the recommendation.

Up to £350 it has to be Bell or shoei!

I did have my mind on a Shoei or Schuberth. If only because I know some F1 drivers have them as their helmets :p

If you're only doing a few thousand miles a year, only riding when it's dry etc then you can spend a lot less on kit. It's when you're doing 12k a year, in sub zero temperatures, and lashing rain, and 35 degree heat, that better kit is worth the extra money.

Helmet - get one that fits. That's most important thing. A £600 helmet that doesn't fit isn't better than a £100 one that fits perfectly.

Yeah I think I'll probably find some local motorbike shops and try them on but unless they offer a decent deal I'll buy online for sure.

Soldato
That Shark S900 looks really decent and quite cheap.

That website looks good, Abyss. There's a nice AGV helmet and Dainese textile jacket for quite cheap on there. I only ever look at sportsbikeshop but now I know else where to check :)

Back
Top Bottom