iOS Development

Associate
I want to utilise my spare time from my primary vocation in a financially and intellectually useful manner. Considering this course:

https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-ios-9-developer-course/

Anyone have any experience of it? Reviews seem pretty good.

I have a computer science degree (but very old now and I don't work in computers), so I'm fairly confident of being able to make a good job of the course. However, what I'm not so sure about is the likelihood of being able to actually make decent money out of it (say £500 a day) a year down the road after I've put the work in.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Associate
I'm current 25% of the way through this course
Really enjoying it and I'm learning a lot. It has some good quality lectures and it gets you doing a lot
Its not going to get you making loads of money unless you have some great ideas about apps you want to make but I'm confident it will give you the knowledge to enable to you figure out how to make that happen
Just do not under any circumstances pay £169 for it! I paid £13...
Use the promo in this link: http://udemycoupon.learnviral.com/coupon/95-off-the-complete-ios-9-developer-course-build-18-apps-10/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks. I probably would have been one of those people who paid full price for it if someone hadn't told me otherwise! Cheers!

Associate
There's also vouchers around if a course doesn't appear to be on sale. If you can find the maker's website/youtube channel, they often have codes for 90%ish off as well on their courses.

I have that iOS course, just not had the time to get to it. Work has been keeping me busy. I also have that guy's android course. So many courses, so little time :(.

Associate
However, what I'm not so sure about is the likelihood of being able to actually make decent money out of it (say £500 a day) a year down the road after I've put the work in.

I will tell u now, you won't be making £500 a day a year down the line, maybe 3 or 4, but not one, and only in London. A junior level iOS developer would be looking to get a 25-32k (depending on the part of the country you are in) a year in a perm position, there aren't very many contract positions for juniors.

If you are getting into it just for the money I would advise against it, you need to have passion for it and really enjoy it to progress. The number of developers I've interviewed who are just in it for the money don't have a clue about even the basics sometimes is staggering. I simply don't employ people who don't have a passion for what they do as they leach of the people who do and most of the time have to have their work re-written as they have the 'it'll do' attitude.

So if I can give any advise then I would say give it a go, but really give it your all. If you do then you will see if you have a passion for it. Just bare in mind there is a lot to learn and it's not going to happen over night, so be patient.

FYI I taught myself iOS development from a non CS background and have been doing it for over 5 years professionally, it took a lot of work and Im still learning more every day.

Good Luck :)

Associate
I suspect the OP is just trolling. You can't take a low quality course (or any course for that matter) in mobile application development and expect in 12 months to be able to earn £500 a day.

Soldato
I suspect the OP is just trolling. You can't take a low quality course (or any course for that matter) in mobile application development and expect in 12 months to be able to earn £500 a day.

But that's what the adverts say :p.

Personally I'm self taught I think trying to make something without a clue what you're doing leads to a better understanding that such a course. As inevitably you'll follow instructions in it and your code will work :eek:. Finding out why what you did broke and how to fix it is much more enlightening in my opinion.

Associate
I think it would be naive to expect to take an online course and come out the other side a fully-fledged web/iOS/whatever developer (yes, I know what the course titles say...)

What these courses DO do is give you a little taste of what it's all about so you can decide if you want to pursue it further (and also so you know vaguely where to turn for getting more into it).

As others have said, if your aim is £500/day within a year, I would personally say it's not for you.

Associate
Hope the OP doesn't mind, but maybe a better question would be as a freelancer how much could I make after doing this course?
And maybe what kind of apps are people wanting? How much could you charge for an app? I mean for a company/person not for you to sell on the store?
Is there much demand?

Associate
Not much I imagine. You are probably best off by creating free apps and publishing them to the app store and building a portfolio which may lead to a "starting" job, Maybe build an app or two for friends in the process.

You won't be making £500 any time soon but a trainee role for example with a good portfolio behind you isn't out the question i'd imagine.

Associate
Is there something within your current job that could benefit from an App? Maybe this will be a good starting point to monetize your development. You can use existing knowledge/contacts etc. to build something useful. You can demo to colleagues/customers. Try and build some excitement around it. As the problem with most apps is that they never get used so will never make any money.

Back
Top Bottom