Who here still use old school internet services such as IRC and Usenet (NNTP)?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Usenet is great, it's not something that will ever get old though I imagine, at least not in the current sense anyway. The IRC bantz moved to WhatsApp long ago. Can use the middle finger emoji to much better effect there.

Associate
I haven't been in a chat room for... 15 years? Does anybody else remember...

W1DvVdu.png

Came bundled with Windows 98 for me. It was my first experience of chatting online to somebody, was genuinely amazed at the time. How things change <Chr>

Associate
Quakenet for me. A keen idler..... When not idle I use it for communicating with fellow gamers who are going to the same LAN, and very rarely a pickup game.

Man of Honour
Back in the late 90's into the early 00's we used to have a very popular channel on efnet.demon.org.uk called #WarezStoke that was home to some of the big couriers back in the day and a few of the early scene groups.

Another fascinating channel was #Panties based in Nova Scotia, some really weird folkd in there.

Then of course on Dalnet the XDCC bot channels with the latest movies, app, games etc were a hit.

I was part of a group that ran #chatzone on efnet all the way up to the big efnet split wars when we moved to DALnet. I was an ircop on DALnet for a while. But bowed out quite a long time ago now. Was a beta tester for mIRC during much of that time as well.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The offshoot ocuk room on quakenet is still there but dead, the main one is dead, are members who were in the offshoot still banned from the main? Not that it matters. IRC is dead :p

Soldato
Usenet I probably use a couple of times a week and not used IRC since the gaming clan I was in disbanded 5 or so years ago.

Good times in IRC though.

Soldato
The offshoot ocuk room on quakenet is still there but dead, the main one is dead, are members who were in the offshoot still banned from the main? Not that it matters. IRC is dead :p

I came on the other day to spread some news only to find it was dead, RIP Elite crew. For the best really, most top tier posters have stopped posting here now.

Soldato
I used to frequent a particular Friends (TV Show) channel on Dalnet many years ago, even met a couple of people who I met on there and visited one in Brazil when I was 21.

Just don't have time these days.

Soldato
I haven't been in a chat room for... 15 years? Does anybody else remember...

W1DvVdu.png

Came bundled with Windows 98 for me. It was my first experience of chatting online to somebody, was genuinely amazed at the time. How things change <Chr>

# K.C. Leblanc appears as TIKI

I imagine using MS Chat often got you a swift kick. I know that's how I dealt with that sort of behaviour.

Soldato
Still on IRC Quakenet and a bit on Gamesurge.

Only to chat to a couple of people that still hang out there. I like using it if anyone has any recommendations for active channels.

Back
Top Bottom