Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
No way. it was swimming around the tank when it wasnt rubbing on its zoas and ate before i left for work at 9pm and at 3am that was what i found.

Id put money on the nem eating the first one aswell

Ok, sounds like you have a particularly greedy nem then. This is what puts me off about having one. Such a shame that they couldn't coexist. :(

Man of Honour
I think im gonna see if the lfs will take the nem in and go for an orange/ white and black/white pair. Wont bother buying any others untill i can rehome the nem tho!

Carpet Nems are nasty but seem to sell well so I'd trade it in for a Magnifica or bubble tip which will host clowns without any issues.

Associate
I got rid of my standard tropical setup and bought myself 40 malawi. They're still young but colouring fast... I'll give it another week then post some pictures with progress. I've always wanted to get malawi since I got my fish so glad I have finally got them!

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I'm sadly in the process of selling on an Red Sea Max 250 that I bought for a project that never took off :(

Gutted to see it go especially with me never having got it wet :(

image1.jpg

Caporegime
Such a shame you never used it. I know where you're coming from though. I've sold loads of things that I bought for something that never got off the ground.

I bought an expensive RC helicopter once as I fancied flying them as a hobby.

Never took off.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Wow. Gonna be a bargain for someone there. Looks in tip top condition.

Yeah, I was very careful buying it :( ** Edit ** upgraded skimmer with it and everything. Not getting much interest at the moment either so may end up using it in the end.

Associate
Looks a nice tank, someone is going to be lucky!

Just read through some pages of this thread, some amazing setups. Been wanting a tank since I was a kid, hope to get one soon when finances allow. Would I be mad to just jump straight into marine, or is tropical the way to go for your first?

Don
Looks a nice tank, someone is going to be lucky!

Just read through some pages of this thread, some amazing setups. Been wanting a tank since I was a kid, hope to get one soon when finances allow. Would I be mad to just jump straight into marine, or is tropical the way to go for your first?

That depends on how deep your pockets are, it takes a lot of time to "learn" fish keeping. Starting with a marine tank you will probably end up killing a lot of livestock until you get to grips with the basics.

It's certainly possible to go straight to marine, but it would be wiser to start with cold water / tropical first.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
That depends on how deep your pockets are, it takes a lot of time to "learn" fish keeping. Starting with a marine tank you will probably end up killing a lot of livestock until you get to grips with the basics.

It's certainly possible to go straight to marine, but it would be wiser to start with cold water / tropical first.

I know where you're coming from but I started with marine having never kept fish before! I've found that people who have kept tropical before tend to present more of a challenge where marine is concerned because they think they know it all already when really, you have to go back to the basics :)

Associate
Valid arguments from both of you.

Pockets not endlessly deep at this time, what would you say initial purchase (second hadn most likely)/monthly upkeep is for marine vs tropical?

My mate had a Juwel Rio 180 a good few years back and it was great, I'd be looking for something more along the size of the Rio 240/300 or equivalent.

Soldato
Marine is a lot more time consuming that tropical. Especially with smaller tanks. My big tropical tank gets 20% wc once a month whereas my marine has 20% once a week! Plus livestock is a hell of a lot more expensive can be hundreds of poinds for a single frag of certain corals and fish are more expensive, especially when you find one of yoyr inhabitants has been eating them!

DHR

DHR

Soldato
If carful though it can be done on a budget, I've been running an £80 Rio 125 successfully for 4 years this year, start out slow with cheaper hardy fish and coral. Don't rush anything and think before you do everything, it builds up overtime so don't think you'll have a fully fledged tank in a couple of weeks, it takes months if not a year or more before you start to see the best results :)

Associate
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the advice.

To be honest I hadn't thought of maintenance. I'd normally be up for that sort of thing but as my work takes me away for 2-3 days per week I'd rather have something easy to care for. Projects which take time appeal to me, but not ones that can die.

Any tips on what sort of brands to go for 2nd hand? I'd also get the quietest pump I could (I hate noisy pumps, I had to get rid of my Corsair H80i!), any recommendations? Money not a concern when it comes to my sanity.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the advice.

To be honest I hadn't thought of maintenance. I'd normally be up for that sort of thing but as my work takes me away for 2-3 days per week I'd rather have something easy to care for. Projects which take time appeal to me, but not ones that can die.

Any tips on what sort of brands to go for 2nd hand? I'd also get the quietest pump I could (I hate noisy pumps, I had to get rid of my Corsair H80i!), any recommendations? Money not a concern when it comes to my sanity.

Probably not marine then, if you plan ahead carefully it's not a huge deal, just a risk. For peace of mind though tropical is probably the way to go :)

As for brands, I genuinely can't fault my Juwel Rio 125, a second hand one of the Rio series would be great for you. Start out with T8 (if you have to) or T5 lighting too, don't buy into the "you have to spend a fortune on LEDs now" because most people I know have found them much of a much and when you're starting out, a couple of 15-20 bulbs is much cheaper than a £400 LED unit!

Back
Top Bottom