The **Now Eating** Thread

Associate
Im in Budapest and just had a pork shank with mash and red cabbage. It was amaizing.
Also had stuffed cabbage at lunch and some weird but yummy cinnamon bun type of thing! No pictures of anything as we didnt take our phones or cameras to anywhere!

Tea Drinker
Don
I've had oxtail just one time and it was amazing - did it sous vide for 100 hrs :o. This reminds me that I cooked another lot and it's currently sitting in the freezer... might have to get it out :cool:. How long will you be cooking that for in the slow cooker?

It's had 6 hrs today on high and probably another 6 on low tomorrow then I'll check it out. It's for Monday onwards so no rush.

Soldato
Tea Drinker
Don
My thermometer was on silent doh and was taken out at 56c. Slightly over done to my liking but was lovely. The outside was easy to pull and the middle was pink and easy to cut. I loved it family loved it. Bones left for broth excellent

Man of Honour
Ox cheek is great sous vide! How do you do yours? I've always done it at 60C for ~60 hours. Bought more oxtail and put it on today because it's 25% off at Waitrose, if you can order from them where you are (as are the other meats on the meat counter... they didn't have any ox cheek today, but I bought some pork belly)... I think the deal's on for two or three more days.

I actually mostly braise ox cheek, or smoke it. I've not got round to sous-vide though in the sous-vide group on FB that I joined recently (set up by one of the smoking group guys) someone posted a beef wellington they'd made by sous-viding ox cheek and then cooking it as per normal. That sounds like it has potential to be amazing.

Soldato
I get the eggs from my father in law, who farms eggs (approx 12,000 chickens), and we get quite a lot of doubles. They're much more common that you think - the eggs tend to be a bit larger, and shop packs are sorted by size to be pretty uniform, so I suspect they get separated out.

The triple was a bit of a one-off, though, and getting the 1,2,3 was great :)

Just noticed a bit of eggshell in the single one. Didn't spot it at the time, and didn't notice the crunch...

Man of Honour
I get the eggs from my father in law, who farms eggs (approx 12,000 chickens), and we get quite a lot of doubles. They're much more common that you think - the eggs tend to be a bit larger, and shop packs are sorted by size to be pretty uniform, so I suspect they get separated out.

The triple was a bit of a one-off, though, and getting the 1,2,3 was great :)

Just noticed a bit of eggshell in the single one. Didn't spot it at the time, and didn't notice the crunch...

Indeed - getting the extra large sized eggs greatly raises your chances of doubles.

Back
Top Bottom