Your current Fish tank Setups!

Associate
Carpet Nems are nasty but seem to sell well so I'd trade it in for a Magnifica or bubble tip which will host clowns without any issues.

The problem with bubble tips are the fact many lose there bubbles in the home aquarium :o they also can grow huge and split quite regular.. I have 4 in my 2ft cube now which is a problem on its own - I dislike it stinging my acros!

Note the last picture showing the nems and one of the others showing the acro on the top branch and the colour change in just over a month, you'll probably be able to see the bleached favia :(

DHR

DHR

Soldato
My clowns have hosted in pretty much everything I've put in the tank. They're favouriting ta large hammer at the moment having moved from the frogspawn. They even gave it a good try in a massive toadstool a few years ago. Nems have always fallen into the "too much trouble Vs worth category for me.

Yup, it's not allowed :)

Just noticed this, wasn't intending on selling in this thread :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
The problem with bubble tips are the fact many lose there bubbles in the home aquarium :o they also can grow huge and split quite regular.. I have 4 in my 2ft cube now which is a problem on its own - I dislike it stinging my acros!

Note the last picture showing the nems and one of the others showing the acro on the top branch and the colour change in just over a month, you'll probably be able to see the bleached favia :(

Yeah they can be a pain when they move. Thankfully my Magnifica has been rooted to the spot for over a year :)

_DSC0056_zpsmmckkzcm.jpg

Soldato
So iv bought some arcadia t8 led conversion tubes for my roma as I now own a second tank which uses led over tubes and the light is totally different.. Next up is co2 dosing, I'm using easy carbo at the moment for both tanks but since iv gone hi tech on lights I'll need to now go co2 properly also, my 1ft is already suffering algae booms because the light is crazy compared to co2 balance. Getting a kit from co2 supermarket I think for the soda stream bottle diy setup.

Associate
All my rocks/slate over a day or so, well that I noticed have all come up with green algee type stuff on. Is this because I haven't cleaned the water and filter enough, too much light, not cleaned the rocks?

Associate
Tropical.

I have a 3ft Juwel Vision, with 40 baby malawi in. External filter.

If it's too much light, how much should I have the light on? Should it be on and off or on for the full time and then off? Should it be on during the day or night or both?

Soldato
Tropical.

I have a 3ft Juwel Vision, with 40 baby malawi in. External filter.

If it's too much light, how much should I have the light on? Should it be on and off or on for the full time and then off? Should it be on during the day or night or both?

I have mine come on at 10am - 1pm then off for an hour then back on 2-9

changing to have the break in the middle really helped with my algee growth

Associate
Thanks - I will look at the schedule I have and how many hours it is on for. It currently goes on and off at various points through the day and night.

Soldato
Got round to sorting my tank out today. I posted a while back about a hair algae problem. I'm too ashamed to post a 'before' pic, I really let it get bad! But the algae completely took over, it was inches long, on all the plants, ornaments, filter, everything!

Today went to Maidenhead Aquatics in Grantham, first time I've been, they seem to have a good selection of stuff and very friendly and helpful. So bought some new plants and a new filter, wanted to replace my internal one for an external one anyway as it took up so much room! Binned virtually everything that was in the tank to start fresh.

So done a 50% water change along with it all, scrubbed the glass, set up the new filter and put the new plants in, along with soaking the bogwood in hot water all day to get the worst of the staining out. End result was definitely an improvement.

IMG_20160206_223734.jpg

As advised on here a few weeks back, I'll be doing partial weekly water changes, and also getting some new lighting tubes to hopefully keep on top of the algae in future.

Soldato
Thanks! It's nothing compared to some on here, but I got the tank for free a few years back. It's approx 110-120L from memory. Was going for 20% changes yes, I don't think it's particularly overstocked currently, certainly got a lot less than I used to have, mollies were breeding like mad lol.

Soldato
Made my first big mistake on friday in buying Marine fish, i bought two blue cheek Goby, i knew they were sand shifters not bulldozers as they turned out to be and it was a impulse buy only gone to the shop for some dry goods, they have wrecked the tank, it's like a sand storm 24/7:(, got some flexi tubing coming this week to try and suck them out of their cave they have taken to:mad::mad:

Soldato
Hi guys, im just doing a warehouse clean out of all our old stock and ive found an RO unit stashed away. Are these are any good to the fish keepers out there? i used to keep piranha many years ago and used to use RO for them. Im currently doing a house refit and was thinking of putting a tank in the wall, if i do would it be worth keeping hold of this or should i just stick it on the bay? I remember when keeping fish about 10 years ago RO being quite expensive to fill the tank.

Associate
After being unused for 10 years the RO membrane will need replacing as will any prefilter cartridges/carbon etc.

If you getting into fish again might as well keep as RO water is a great base and can be adjusted to suit any fish you may want to keep.

Soldato
Hi the girlfriend bought a fish for my tank today from pets at home. Trying to do some research on how to care for it I know its a pleco of some kind but not sure what type.
IMG_20160216_202217.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom