RIP Windows Phone

Soldato
Sorry yes, I'm using another WP right now and its on W10 (XL), but before I always using the WordFlow way of doing it.

So when you were taking the **** about not being able to do something simple, it was actually because my phone can't do it, as was originally stated?

Soldato
One question I didn't see an answer to... Why does the phone come with Messenger and Messenger+? They appear to do the exact same thing and if I try to remove one, it reinstalls itself.

Associate
My 640 keyboard will let me chose a number when I hold down a key on the top row of the keyboard. Think that was available on 8.1 but wasn't running 8.1 for very long. Quite a lot of the other keys will give their foreign keyboard equivalent, ie s gives you š and ß
I like wordflow, never have any problem using my thumb to write txt or email as it has an uncanny knack of getting the word right that your trying to type.
The stock keyboard suits me fine

Soldato
well the contract on my 930 is up next month and seriously doubt i'll be upgrading to a 950 as it seems like a dead end, shame as other than the lack of certain apps its probably been the best handset ive owned. With the vast majority of WP apps being on and better on other platforms it looks like I probably wont be missing out on much.

Associate
It gives me foreign equivalents, special versions etc. but definitely no numbers.

The keyboard acts differently depending on context. You can check this in the Messaging app:
- Entering the recipient's name you do not get the numbers shown on a long press
- Entering the message you do get the numbers

Not sure why it's like that.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope, no numbers regardless of context.

same with me, i have a 830 running 8.1 and cant get numbers when holding down a key, another little irritating, quirk of WP

i have got the moto g 2nd gen back put, waiting for my sim adapter to arrive and giving that ago, a'ready the apps are better, just the phone is slower, so shall see how i get on with it.

Soldato
I have a 1st Moto-G and don't find it slow, but then again I'm comparing to my Lumia 640XL and previous Nokia 625, which are both budget phones themselves. Your 830 is almost certainly quicker than those. And the 1st gen Moto-G has a small screen to update.

Soldato
I'm going over to Android after my long stint with WP.

Managed to bag a HuaWei P8 for £150, decent camera, budget price with flagship quality.

Reasons For Leaving:

Since 6.5, everytime an upgrade occurs, it's two step forwards, one step back.
Mango revamped Windows Phone, Great. Lose a lot of previous MS stuff. No issue, building up again. Then 7.5->8.0/8.1, they build almost everything from ground up again. Windows 10 Mobile is now doing the same.

I took a break between Samsung Omnia to Lumia 800 and been with them since, everytime I think wow, this is better now, I lose the perk on the next x.x upgrade. Zune Music / Xbox Music, now with insistence of no upgraded BT AVRCP since the step forward in WP8.1 in W10m (despite beta/preview), yet this is the platform released on the Flagship 950 / 950XL!?

I don't use a lot of apps, but Outlook / Skype is one of my most used, being MS own isn't the same as Android / iOS.

As much as I enjoy Randy's 6-Apps, official apps such as Instagram is in Beta forever, I can't even gram non-square ratio photos unless I use 6tag.

Nokia Drive works fine on Android, along with plenty of other free apps alternatives.

Will still keep my existing 640XL and Spare 920 for whenever Windows 10 Mobile works to what I need. The UI and Live Tiles will be missed, Cortana as well. For now, I bagged a better deal and I'm ready to take another holiday from MS phone.

Caporegime
Most, if not all of Microsoft apps are available on Android. Outlook, Skype, OneDrive, all of the Office suite, etc. They're pretty good too.

Soldato
Most, if not all of Microsoft apps are available on Android. Outlook, Skype, OneDrive, all of the Office suite, etc. They're pretty good too.

Groove Music have since been updated to work properly too, that was one of my concerns, as I have a pass till mid 2017. Cortana will probably be missed but I'll see what Android's version have vs OK Google.

Back
Top Bottom