Six Nations 2016

Associate
I'm actually not very hopeful about scotland's chances this year. A lot of the back line are out form at the moment as evidenced by glasgow's current position in the pro12, and we have a number of injury concerns too.

Soldato
I'll be happy this 6N to see England stop playing 1 phase Rugby and see the likes of Brown & Nowell undrstand where the support is and not run away from it, I can't think of a single game during the WC where England kept possesion for more than 4 phases :mad:

Also want to see the back row far more aggressive to the breakdown with Hartley supporting them at the clear out, George Smith is in the training camp with the squad coaching on an informal basis (along the Jonny Wilkinson) and the back row boys couldn't learn from a better master of the skills and need to show they've stepped up.

Man of Honour
What are people's thoughts on Scotland's chances? The BBC has put a few articles which are positive about their chances. I think it's going to be more of the same with Scotland. They will push teams hard and get close but ultimately finish 5th.

I expect nothing from Scotland, it was a good World Cup so I'm vaguely hopeful but I've seen enough false dawns to know that expecting anything is foolish in the extreme. It does however mean that anything other than abject failure is reason for celebration.

Associate
I'll be happy this 6N to see England stop playing 1 phase Rugby and see the likes of Brown & Nowell undrstand where the support is and not run away from it, I can't think of a single game during the WC where England kept possesion for more than 4 phases :mad:

Also want to see the back row far more aggressive to the breakdown with Hartley supporting them at the clear out, George Smith is in the training camp with the squad coaching on an informal basis (along the Jonny Wilkinson) and the back row boys couldn't learn from a better master of the skills and need to show they've stepped up.

Totally agree, I have reasonable hopes Jones will be addressing these issues, although delivering them on the field of play is always another matter...

George Smith is a class act for sure, you'd be a shrewd club / coach to get him into your team... :D

Associate
Teams are up. I'm feeling a lot better about scotland looking at the line up as I think it's only dunbar and visser that we'll miss.

15.Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps; 9 tries, 2 pens, 51 points
14.Sean Maitland (London Irish) – 20 caps; 3 tries, 15 points
13.Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps, 6 tries, 30 points
12.Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) – 33 caps, 4 tries, 20 points
11.Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 22 caps; 11 tries, 55 points
10.Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps, 2 tries, 3 cons, 1 pen, 19 points
9.Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester) CAPTAIN – 46 caps, 4 tries, 57 cons, 104 pens, 446 points
1.Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 52 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
2.Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 95 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
3.Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 8 caps, 1 try, 5 points
4.Richie Gray (Castres) – 52 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
5.Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6.John Barclay (Scarlets) – 45 caps; 3 tries, 15 points
7.John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby) – 5 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
8.David Denton (Bath) – 32 caps

Substitutes

16.Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps
17.Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps
18.Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – uncapped
19.Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps
20.Blair Cowan (London Irish) – 15 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
21.Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby) – 8 caps
22.Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors) – 21 caps, 2 tries, 6 cons, 10 pens, 1 drop, 55 points
23.Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 12 caps

and England:

Joe Marler (Harlequins, 37 caps)
Dylan Hartley (captain, Northampton Saints, 66 caps)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 28 caps)
George Kruis (Saracens, 10 caps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 43 caps)
James Haskell (Wasps, 62 caps)
Billy Vunipola (vice captain, Saracens, 21 caps)
Danny Care (Harlequins, 53 caps)
George Ford (Bath Rugby, 17 caps)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 10 caps)
Owen Farrell (vice captain, Saracens, 35 caps)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 16 caps)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
Mike Brown (vice captain, Harlequins, 43 caps)

Replacements
Jamie George (Saracens, 3 caps)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 27 caps)
Paul Hill (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 42 caps)
Jack Clifford (Harlequins, uncapped)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps)
Alex Goode (Saracens, 19 caps)
Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

Associate
I'm fairly underwhelmed to be honest, after all the talk of bringing in new young talent into a new look English rugby team, this is just about as safe and conservative a team you could field!!

It's like Eddie Jones has used all his "cahoonas" in changing the captain and has now run out when selecting the rest of the team...

Caporegime
Gutted for Italy.

And hurrah for England, the first half was a bit turgid but I enjoyed the second half. Wasn't exactly pretty but a starting win is important. What a shame the Scottish crowd can't behave themselves and respect the kicker.

Man of Honour
Italy were a bit unlucky there, this was not a vintage France performance but as it's a new coach and they got a win I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

More or less as expected in the Scotland vs England game, well done to England on winning with a dominant perfomance by the forwards (in parts at least) and if the kicker(s) start performing that'll really help. The main thing that annoyed me was Danny Care complaining about squint put-ins at the scrum and then proceeding to put every single one of his in so he practically touched the boot of the Englishman at the back of the scrum - it's annoying when it's squint by either side but if you're going to complain about it and the ref is standing right next to you while you do it wrong every time I'd expect the ref to take exception to that at some point. I doubt it made the slightest difference to the end score as Scotland just weren't quite composed enough in attacking positions but hopefully we can cut down on the errors in for the remainder of the Tournament.

What a shame the Scottish crowd can't behave themselves and respect the kicker.

It is a bit poor but in the interests of balance Laidlaw also got booed while kicking at least once - maybe the crowd were equal opportunities booers?

Back
Top Bottom