ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Soldato
well I don't agree from the 2 asus pg279q ips monitors I just had in the last week. the black level is not as good as my 3 and half year old samsung TN panel and as I said the glow or back light bleed in the corners can clearly be seen when playing games in slightly dark scenes.
I have no problem with the movement in fast pace games (and I am fussy with this) this monitor was quick enough for that but the glow is just not good enough.
the 1st monitor was shockingly bad and the 2nd was a lot better but still I could easily see it. (I didn't even have to look for it)
viewing angles on my old Samsung I agree not as good by a long way next to ips but I don't have any problem with my 27" Samsung from side to side in the view I look at it but up and down sometimes I do notice when I lie back more in my chair.
from what I'm reading the Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz seems like it could be the best choice out there right now.

I think what we're seeing is just a VERY VERY bad example of IPS with this particular panel from AUO. It really is inferior in almost every way to what IPS should be, apart from the 144Hz aspect of course. The quality of some examples I've seen is really shocking, often just in uniformity alone... in 2016 it's really shameful, but I think AUO ignored everything that makes IPS so great and focused on pure speed, realising that the mere fact it was IPS would be a great marketing hook... but in reality it doesn't come close to the high standards of what IPS is capable of. Which is a crying shame really, because for many people it will be their first IPS monitor, having heard all these great things, but then they get this heap of junk! IPS deserves so much better, because it really IS!

You may be right though, the Dell is a very good TN monitor by most accounts... only people who've been used to quality IPS for years seem to have an issue, and for professional colour use I certainly don't think it's the right choice, but for gaming it probably is the best monitor out there right now, and at a good price. Unless you do somehow win the AUO lottery and get one of those gold dust panels! ;)

Associate
I think you are probably right with this panel as I don't think it is a true reflection on what ips should be and I will say if it wasn't for that glow from the corners it would have been a very good monitor but I don't think I can keep sending monitors back until I find one that is not so bad that it bothers me cos that's just crazy and I shouldn't have to. As there is nothing wrong with the one I have I think I will wait a bit longer to se what comes out or if I see that Dell one on some stupid crazy sale price I will give it a go. For now I will just buy a new mouse as I feel the need to buy something :D

Soldato
I think you are probably right with this panel as I don't think it is a true reflection on what ips should be and I will say if it wasn't for that glow from the corners it would have been a very good monitor but I don't think I can keep sending monitors back until I find one that is not so bad that it bothers me cos that's just crazy and I shouldn't have to. As there is nothing wrong with the one I have I think I will wait a bit longer to se what comes out or if I see that Dell one on some stupid crazy sale price I will give it a go. For now I will just buy a new mouse as I feel the need to buy something :D

I'm in the same boat as you. I was really excited about many of these monitors a year or so ago, but now it's just so disappointing that it's become such a lottery. As I say, I went through 4 XB270's before giving up, all having horrendous bleed and/or dirt behind the screen, and I see similar stories all the time... crazy is the right word! I will keep an eye on the XB271 and see if that fares any better, but otherwise I will probably just hang on until another fast IPS monitor is released without these issues... which probably won't be until Pascal/Polaris and DP 1.3 are out. Patience is required lol!

Soldato
but for gaming it probably is the best monitor out there right now, and at a good price. Unless you do somehow win the AUO lottery and get one of those gold dust panels! ;)

I think I won the lottery with one of these. This is my first IPS and so far I believe I am very fortunate and just love this monitor.

If anything the picture seems to have got better since I bought it.

Associate
OP
Anyone having any issues with White uniformity now? I grabbed one at launch and sent it back because the top 3rd of the screen was noticeably darker with a slight yellow tint.

Might not be a deal breaker for some but I noticed it the second I maximized a youtube page. I tried to ignore it but without even thinking about it I saw it every time.

I currently have a XB271HU on pre-order but I really wanted the PG279Q. Only tried once so debating if it's worth another shot now that it's been a few months.

Associate
Got this monitor 2 weeks ago, Initially worked perfect, but then I started getting the Display Port - No Signal warnings. Was In the process of RMA'ing it, and was going to get picked up today. But read about turning off the PCIE Power Link Management in the Control Panel. Haven't had any further issues since (last 4 days) and the card actually runs a lot better.

Don't know if this issue has popped up in this thread already, as too many pages to flip through, and not sure whether this is linked directly to this monitor and 980ti's. But I hope it helps someone else.

Soldato
I'm looking at this versus the new Acer that's coming out, this is a bit more expensive but does seem a bit more "premium" in terms of style and features, even if the panels and performance would be similar.

Worth having a punt at this?

I assume with OCUK I am covered in case of unacceptable backlight bleed. My current screen is fine but it's glossy not matte, and it's only 60hz and not G-Sync or anything. Powered by a 780TI but I fully intend to upgrade to one of the new Nvidia GPU's when they come along for more raw horsepower :)

Associate
I'm thinking of getting one of these monitors are they still a no go or has the quality improved since lunch? If so what month in the production line should I be looking to buy?

Or should I just go with the Acer?

Soldato
Its still a lottery. You could go for it and make sure you carefully unpack it try it. If its a good un then its a keeper, if not return it under 14 day satisfactory return.

Mine arrived today, not unboxed it yet though I'm at work. Doesn't fill me with confidence when the receptionist tells me that the delivery driver wasn't exactly treating it with care! :(

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting one of these monitors are they still a no go or has the quality improved since lunch? If so what month in the production line should I be looking to buy?

Dont know about since lunch but might be alright from 3.30pm?

With this one I dont think there is a specific month that are good. There are horror stories about October ones yet I have an October and its brilliant.

Also read the December ones are the same good/bad lottery. Not sure what the latest one is.

Or should I just go with the Acer?

Nooooooooooo!!!!!! imhE

Soldato
Dont know about since lunch but might be alright from 3.30pm?

With this one I dont think there is a specific month that are good. There are horror stories about October ones yet I have an October and its brilliant.

Also read the December ones are the same good/bad lottery. Not sure what the latest one is.

How does one tell when it was made?

I took this picture in a darkened room, it looks OK to me, but the bottom right corner is the worst, some of this is IPS glow but it also looks like it has some BLB there to me in the flesh.

q9v33mkh.png.jpg

Soldato
What is imhe?

In My Humble Experience. Come on get with the lingo.

I think he means "in my homeostasis envelope", and he's quoting Darth Vader at the end of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, where Darth shouts 'noooo' in his protective life-support suit, which could also be called a 'homeostasis envelope'. Come on, this was obvious surely!!?? :rolleyes:

No just missing Padme.

Associate
How does one tell when it was made?

I took this picture in a darkened room, it looks OK to me, but the bottom right corner is the worst, some of this is IPS glow but it also looks like it has some BLB there to me in the flesh.

q9v33mkh.png.jpg

Where you insert the cables somewhere.

You need to move further back/down and turn off all lights and use an ISO of like less than 400 to see BLB properly.
Though since yours is Yellow im guessing its BLB. Mine is more blue on the left side of the screen and more silvery with a slight hint of a warm tinge on the right. The glow that is.

On mine, the bottom right can be distracting during darker content like dark games or films/series. But its not BLB as the light there vanishes as I move my head down or move back. I really hate IPS displays. Worst invention of all time. Atleast those without the polarizer.

Soldato
Where you insert the cables somewhere.

You need to move further back/down and turn off all lights and use an ISO of like less than 400 to see BLB properly.
Though since yours is Yellow im guessing its BLB. Mine is more blue on the left side of the screen and more silvery with a slight hint of a warm tinge on the right. The glow that is.

On mine, the bottom right can be distracting during darker content like dark games or films/series. But its not BLB as the light there vanishes as I move my head down or move back. I really hate IPS displays. Worst invention of all time. Atleast those without the polarizer.

Yep I changed my settings a bit as per the review on tft central, I think my brightness was too high also when I took that, it's not as pronounced anymore.

I'll stick with it for a bit and see if it bugs me, but playing TR and D3 last night it was alright.

Associate
Has anyone used the colour settings from tft and noticed the BLB disappear or minimised? or turned the digital vibrancy and gamma down, and noticed an improvement?

I could be pursued to buy this.

Soldato
Has anyone used the colour settings from tft and noticed the BLB disappear or minimised? or turned the digital vibrancy and gamma down, and noticed an improvement?

I could be pursued to buy this.

Neither of those things will make a scrap of difference, only the brightness and certain other settings in the monitor OSD affects the backlight.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not been that bothered by the BLB on mine to be honest, especially after dropping the brightness a bit, but what has been bugging me is the colour shift I am seeing, especially on a white background.

The very top of the monitor has a slightly off-white white, where the bottom is pretty much pure white. This means that when I am on a website with a white background, it kind of sticks out to me - for the price this shouldn't really be a thing.

Tempted to look at the latest Acer instead, and send this one back, I'll probably open a thing in the CS section.

Back
Top Bottom