People walking in to you

Caporegime
I find that the likeliness of someone bumping into me increases greatly when I am holding a coffee, the hotter the coffee the more will end up on my hand. I don't understand it, but London.

Associate
I don't get people walking into me that much but what really grates me is people walking ridiculously slowly and taking up the entire pavement so you can't get passed.

Soldato
Had some div bump into me outside of Wetherspoons in Hanley a while back. He was more engrossed in his mobile phone than watching where he was going. It did raise my ire slightly as I was standing still looking through the window for a mate, but that feeling of rage was quickly tempered as he picked up his phone and noticed the shattered screen.

Made my day did that. :D

Soldato
Here is the problem:

I actively try and avoid people as much as possible when walking

And here is the solution:

If you walk with purpose (not fast, not slow, just with confidence and purpose) I find most people try not to walk into you as they realise you probably won't avoid them.

Essentially, be more Alpha :p

If there's someone who's clearly not going to avoid you/stop, then continue on your trajectory until the moment before impact, then stop dead.

Chances are, they'll end up walking into you (a stationary object) and feel like a right idiot. At which point they'll probably mutter something like "sorry I didn't see you".

Now, this next step is critical: it is imperative that your response to this is as condescending and sarcastic as possible; replying "it's ok", or "don't worry about it" is simply not acceptable, at the very least you should respond with something along the lines of "well clearly - only a complete ****ing moron would purposefully walk into a stationary object! :rolleyes:".

Of course, taking this approach also puts some responsibility onto you; if you're going to change trajectory whilst walking, for the love of god check over your shoulder to make sure someone isn't about to overtake you before you suddenly turn 90 degrees without warning, and don't just stop dead in the middle of the pavement when someone is walking behind you :mad:

Caporegime
I hear ya OP. Pathway etiquette should definitely be a thing.

I do a lot of walking, although not in London, but experience similar issues. I've even got categories:

• Double Trouble - Two people(usually couples) walking towards you that won't go single file when they walk passed and inevitably pushing you into the road as there's not enough space. Man, this one makes my blood boil.
  • Middle Laners - These are the people that seem to look straight through you. Walking towards these idiots down a narrow pathway and they just amble down the middle like you're not there. Stick to your side!
  • Shop Zombies - These are the people that walk out of a shop or any doorway and just stop in the middle of the your path. They don't seem to realise where they are or what they're doing. Old people seem particularly bad for this.
  • The Magnet - So you're walking down a path and see someone approaching you. You can see they're sticking to a particular side so you pick the other side hoping to stay out of their way. You get within 20 feet and they started drifting over to your side! It usually happens slowly and catches you off-guard. With enough notice you can quickly step over to the other side, but occasionally I've been pushed up against a wall or bush trying to avoid them.

:D So true

Soldato
I totally have empathy with the OP with this, this is a pet hate of mine (alongside another extensive list). Its rude and inconsiderate and 'why the hell should I move all the time?!?!?!'

I do have a strategy for this though that is confrontational (I do not apply this to anyone who I perceive to be under the age of 16).

If I see a potential 'impact' walking along the pavement if neither me or the other person deviate, I commit to not moving. Moments before impact (assuming the other person has not moved) I brace my entire body for it and continue to walk. 9/10 this usually involves the other person getting launched.

I continue to walk as though nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom