Shiny New PC on the cards? (What games will you get?)

Associate
Fingers crossed, in a few months I will be embarking on my first PC build.
My current system, an off the shelf Vista 32bit is now verging on the tech antique.
I'm more or less settled on the component list, its mainly for gaming but will also be doing some PS & Zbrush work.
Build thread: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18717623
Edit: build Will now include 16Gb ram.

For past year or two I have been drooling over new games my system could not handle.
All those stunning game worlds to explore, and the best I could do was watch lets play videos and stare in wonder at the adventures others where having.
Now that I'm settled on the build I can relax and turn my attention back to those games I have had my eye on.
I thought I would share my "Just cant wait to play it!" list, its a chance to get some feedback from the guys n gals that have already spent some time in the games listed.
I could also do with recommendations for games I have not listed, I play most genres so am easy to please lol :)
It would also be cool to hear what games others planned to get when they got that shiny new PC.
I want to play this: (And hopefully on Ultra settings) :)

Elite Dangerous (Elite Dangerous first but then in no particular order)
Mordheim: City of the Damned
Wasteland 2
Savage Lands
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
Arma 3
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Cities: Skylines
Subnautica
Total War: Warhammer
XCom 2
Naval Action (still in two minds about this one)
Pillars of Eternity
TESO (I already own this but have to play on minimum at the moment)
Star Citizen (When its eventual released)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Usually, rather than build a new pc for demanding titles, I have tended to just upgrade one or two components such as the graphics card & sound card. However, I do recall one period (I think it was around 2003) when it seemed that in a short space of time my system wasn't capable of handling the latest / several AAA games. So, for Unreal 2 : The Awakening, Project IGI 2 & Morrowind (which was a little older), among others, I more or less bought an entire new system. Unsurprisingly, I saw a much better boost in fps. Unreal 2, which performed the poorest before I upgraded (single digit fps as low as 1), was now quite playable.

I think the cpu before hand was an AMD Thunderbird 1.0 or 1.1ghz, & afterwards it was an Athlon XP 2500.

The video card jump was from a Voodoo 5 64mb to a Radeon 8500 LE 64mb.

Can't recall much else.

Last edited:
Soldato
You've got some good games listed there. A couple that I would like to get as well. Savage Lands looks like a good game and is on sale at the moment. In two minds about whether I should get it or not.

Associate
Would have recommended Arma 3 and Cities:Skylines if you didn't list them, so good call on those ones.

From your list I'd like to play Star Citizen myself.

And I will recommend that you add to your list Kerbal Space Program.

Soldato
Rust if you like survival games. I've just tried it again and enjoyed it but my little starter home got ransacked. You have to be ok with logging in to disappointment!

Associate
OP
Rust if you like survival games. I've just tried it again and enjoyed it but my little starter home got ransacked. You have to be ok with logging in to disappointment!
Cheers Darg, not to sure about rust. I love survival games but was put off this title as crafting guns seemed to be so out of sink with the rest of this game world.
Maybe add this to my "maybe" list.

Associate
Old school gamer from the 80’s. Not played any games apart from the odd shot on a wee ones Ps or Xbox. 2004 build PC so Bf2 PR Mod was the last game I played and spent time on.

Of course having been an Elite original player in 85 its brought me back and new rig later this year although I’ve been saying that for a few years. Buying games on steam on sale and my Ks backer copy of Elite. Disappointed no really great RTS out just now but I see a few on the cards.

So this is what I have waiting all bought on sale.

Elite Dangerous
CS Go (Must be something in it everyone plays it)
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition
Prison Architect
Sid Meier's Civilization V (the Complete pack)
Tropico 4

Following and will by in time

Naval Action
Dayz (love the idea behind this)
Squad (Guys from PR Mod )
Planet Coaster

Associate
OP
I'd suggest holding out a little longer for the new cards and in that time, save some more so you can have 16gb and a 500gb SSD.
Cheers Drollic, Build will now include 16Gb as suggested :)
As for the 500Gb SSD, I have a 500Gb mechanical and 500Gb external drive for data etc. The only software on the SSD will be the OS and and what ever game I'm playing at the time. That said, if I had a choice I would go with the 500Gb SSD :)
What cards? I'm not up to speed with all the upcoming tech yet. When are they due out and have you got any links? The build is still a few months off, will they be out by then?

Associate
OP
Old school gamer from the 80’s. Not played any games apart from the odd shot on a wee ones Ps or Xbox. 2004 build PC so Bf2 PR Mod was the last game I played and spent time on.

Of course having been an Elite original player in 85 its brought me back and new rig later this year although I’ve been saying that for a few years. Buying games on steam on sale and my Ks backer copy of Elite. Disappointed no really great RTS out just now but I see a few on the cards.

So this is what I have waiting all bought on sale.

Elite Dangerous
CS Go (Must be something in it everyone plays it)
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition
Prison Architect
Sid Meier's Civilization V (the Complete pack)
Tropico 4

Following and will by in time

Naval Action
Dayz (love the idea behind this)
Squad (Guys from PR Mod )
Planet Coaster

Quite a few games on your list that interest me. Is the Dayz mod just on the ARMA 2 Platform or is it now on ARMA 3 as well?
I like the idea of trying out a new flight sim as well, whats the aviation game play like in ARMA 3?

Back
Top Bottom