****The Sony RX100 Series Owners and Tips Thread****

Caporegime
I did some searching but could not for the life of me see a dedicated thread for this incredibly popular camera series, just a collection of short and disprate threads dealing with many minor issues.

I just ordered a Sony RX100 Mk I as a "carry everywhere" pocket cam and thought it may be good to have one single "go to" thread where people could ask questions and discuss the tips and tricks for the RX100 series in general, and also the particular quirks of their models.

Useful tips would be:

• Ideal settings under difficult lighting conditions
  • Strengths and weaknesses
  • Anything else that new or existing users may not know
  • Photo samples and settings also welcome!
  • etc etc.

Really looking forward to getting some good use out of this thing. :)

PS: Please kindly keep hotlinked images to sensible sizes (1080p wide) or use Flickr to avoid the thread being skewed on mobile devices.

Cheers,

Rich.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Love mine, not exactly a great photographer but I get a lot better photos then I ever do with my phone. Quite fancy getting a filter kit for it for my next trip away too.

I also butcher them far too much in lightroom :(

please make images smaller if you are going to embed them, or put them inside spoiler tags
20255458123_3c759f5617_h.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Quite fancy getting a filter kit for it for my next trip away too.

Bought a lens mate filter adapter online and works brilliantly. Only caveat is it can show up if you use the built in flash (at least on the M4).

I also bought the handgrip adaptor which makes holding it much more reassuring that it's not going to slip out of your grip.

Gary Friedman does a series of books explaining all the features and whilst the manual tells you a lot, his actually explains a bit more of the why about various settings, what works particularly well, what less so etc.

Wish Apple had NFC enabled so my iPhone would work with it.

Great little camera.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Love mine, not exactly a great photographer but I get a lot better photos then I ever do with my phone. Quite fancy getting a filter kit for it for my next trip away too.

I also butcher them far too much in lightroom :(

Nice. Any chance you can please re-size or use Flickr so the thread isn't skewed by huge images? Makes a big difference when browsing on mobile devices. :)

Bought a lens mate filter adapter online and works brilliantly. Only caveat is it can show up if you use the built in flash (at least on the M4).

I also bought the handgrip adaptor which makes holding it much more reassuring that it's not going to slip out of your grip.

Gary Friedman does a series of books explaining all the features and whilst the manual tells you a lot, his actually explains a bit more of the why about various settings, what works particularly well, what less so etc.

Wish Apple had NFC enabled so my iPhone would work with it.

Great little camera.

Can you please link to the filter kit and the handgrips so others can see? :)

Last edited:
Associate
Can you please link to the filter kit and the handgrips so others can see? :)

Sorry, had just woken up though brain hadn't...

lensmate online and also do handy bits for other compacts too. Personally, I bought the official Sony handgrip but only as I passed a shop selling it.

I did see a grip attachment that slides below the camera when required like this one. Looked very good but already had my Sony one.

There are plenty of different material grips out there if you Google, wooden veneer, plastic, leather, aluminium etc.

Soldato
Really enjoying mine so far, although I've had limited time to play with it. I bought it as a decent camera to accompany me on motorcycle trips where I didn't want the weight and bulk of an SLR.

I haven't purchased any additional kit for it yet beyond a hard case, and I'm not sure I will tbh.

Gin bar by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Soldato
I would say I know very little about photography, just a brief understanding of the exposure triangle and all that stuff. Took MK1 on a trip to Iceland a few years back and was happy with the 'auto' shots.

Recently purchased a MKIV but have yet to make the most of the upgrade. The slow mo feature is quite impressive but the recording time seems too short.

I purchased the LCJ-RXF case, good quality feel and protects the camera quite well but does add a lot of bulk to the camera and seeing as the one of the main features is it's size it's a bit of trade off.

I also purchased this book which goes into some detailed tips etc.

Soldato
Awesome thread idea :D

I love my MK1 (cheapo 2nd hand from eBay) and sold the LX100 with no regrets at all

After a recent thread around the quite frankly crap strap which comes with the camera i bough some 5mm split rings and used them to allow me to attach my Peak Design quick release toggles:

Bit of a bump !

I ordered some 5mm split rings from eBay and they came today:

JPzMwxa.jpg

Threaded them through

687DLj8.jpg

SElXIg7.jpg

Then looped the PD toggle

etnkQiq.jpg

One each side

YGjteoz.jpg

And voila !

udc2t3D.jpg

I have also added the "leather look" stick on decals to give a bit more grip to the camera (I like the look too:p)

A few of my recent ones :

River Weaver Pano by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Week # 5 - Subject "Abandoned" by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Bridge ahoy by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Week # 4 - Subject "Happy" by Jon Parry, on Flickr

R2D2-2 by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Week # 2 - Subject "Captive" (alt crop) by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Old Pale Comms Towers by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Bike and Lake by Jon Parry, on Flickr

And all the RX100 shots from my Flickr here

Caporegime
OP
Awesome thread idea :D

I love my MK1 (cheapo 2nd hand from eBay) and sold the LX100 with no regrets at all

After a recent thread around the quite frankly crap strap which comes with the camera i bough some 5mm split rings and used them to allow me to attach my Peak Design quick release toggles:

I have also added the "leather look" stick on decals to give a bit more grip to the camera (I like the look too:p)

Cool, thanks. :)

A few of my recent ones :

Bridge Ahoy

Nice shot... did you add any blurring or out of focus aspect to it yourself, or is that "as shot"?

Associate
I bought a mk3 last summer as a light alternative to my dslr. I'm well impressed with the quality of the images it can produce.

This was taken handheld...

original.jpg

Associate
i've been after one of these for ages - either the m3 or m4, where would anybody recommend that's reliable? Also the prices of these seem to be set in stone - anybody know anywhere a bit cheaper than the rest of them?, they rarely seem to pop up second hand anywhere except Ebay - not my favourite place for anything costing over a tenner/

Caporegime
OP
Well, I spent a weekend with my camera using it mainly on Auto mode due to the chaos of skiing and apres-ski not giving me any time to get used to the manual controls and to be honest I was not completely enamoured with the results in terms of sharpness or exposure due to the automatically calculated results. Putting it into sports mode did obviously get better action stills, but it still wasn't great considering how good the lighting often was... I think I need to spend a few hours learning how to navigate the UI and getting used to the A and S modes. :)

Associate
i also found that getting the autofocus settings correct also helped capture action. AF-C is the mode you want also check if it refocuses after each shot, my camera (a5000) has 2 modes one where it will re-focus and one which is designed purely to bash out loads of shots.

after that, if it purely action then i would go with S mode and dial it up a few stops.

if you could post up a couple of shots we might be able to give you some pointers. It would also probably help some others out who are also new and experiencing ****tyimage syndrome.

Soldato
I can't say I have had any real issues with sharpness. Saying that I would always watch my white balance and post process for added sharpness when doing snow/action and landscape shots anyway.

Back
Top Bottom