Any recommendations for great printing services?

Soldato
I've finally decided it's time to get some prints of some of my photos, but I wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for printing services?

I of course know about photobox etc, but they're a bit 'run of the mill' I've found.

I've recently used Artifact Uprising (http://co.uk.artifactuprising.com/) for mini square prints, and their hardcover photo book, and I was really pleased with both. But they do not currently offer all of the same print services as they do in the US.

In the US they offer this http://www.artifactuprising.com/photo-prints/large-format-fine-art-prints

So I'm after something similar, really good quality prints, preferably on archival matte paper.

So any recommendations?

Soldato
Just found this place, anyone used them?

https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/

Yes, they're the print service I always use. They perhaps aren't the cheapest but they provide top quality prints and service, fast and reliable. Great customer service too if you have any special requests or need advice on colour profiles, custom print sizes etc.

Try their C-Type print service, it's so much better than standard inkjet prints. C-Type is exposed onto photographic paper by laser and the results are stunning. I feel it works equally well for digital artwork as it does for photographs as long as you don't want a textured finish of course (then you need giclee). You do need to convert your photos to a custom colour profile (which they provide) but this is easy to do and well worth it.

I find the C-Type Fuji Matt looks best, but they also do gloss and metallic finishes if you prefer. And of course several giclee options. If you aren't sure I think they do a sample pack for a fiver.

Soldato
OP
I've just ordered the sample pack actually, as I will be really picky about the paper I want.

Their framing seems quite expensive. A 15x10" print is £12, but £123 framed and mounted! I might the prints from there, but get them framed locally.

Do you have any photos of your prints?

Soldato
I've just ordered the sample pack actually, as I will be really picky about the paper I want.

Their framing seems quite expensive. A 15x10" print is £12, but £123 framed and mounted! I might the prints from there, but get them framed locally.

Do you have any photos of your prints?

Yes, don't use their framing service, it's too expensive. Do the framing yourself or find a local service. Besides, it whacks up the postage too of course. If you buy just the prints they come in a scroll tube and the postage costs are reasonable.

It's hard to take a photo of my prints as the ones I have here are framed. The C-Type prints have the smooth texture of old style 35mm enlargements because it's real photographic paper. If you want something more textured then you need a giclee print.

The sample pack is the best thing, it'll give you an idea of the different papers and print processes they offer.

Caporegime
I used The Print Space a few times as well. They are great. I ended up going for giclee prints for my colour photos (Hahnemuhle Pearl) and C-Type (Matt) for B&W. I think the latter really goes with contrasty B&W images. It'll depend on the type of shot as well though. Most of my images are nature/landscape so a more "painty", slightly textured finish just goes (IMO).

I'd certainly choose differently if I was doing portrait or architectural however.

Caporegime
Giclee printing at Loxley is a lot more expensive than TPS last time I checked, not sure how they compare though as I only ever get normal prints done with them.

The Giclee prints from TPS are leagues better than Loxleys standard prints, but then they are a different product (and price range!).

Back
Top Bottom