I want a Plasma TV again!

Soldato
OLEDs are nice but I think they can't get anywhere near resolution during movement of a Plasma :(

from hdtvtest something like 300 lines with no interpolation, and 650 with :(

I believe Plasmas can do full 1080 lines during movement

V F

V F

Soldato
Plasma always looks organic. That is the thing I love about them plus how clear and smooth they are with Blu-Ray.

Caporegime
If my panny plasma broke tomorrow and had no warranty I would buy a plasma to replace it

I can't stomach 2k for a oled TV. It's too much.
When oled are nearer 1k than 2 is probably when I'll jump.
I think led tvs are terrible really.
Oled trumps plasma tho. No argument there

Caporegime
Only paid £1170 for my oled, but it is only the 1080p model. At only 55 inch and normal viewing distances I don't think there is a huge difference with 4k anyway.

There is a huge difference if you use real 4k content. 10GB for like a 60 second clip.

Streams then no a 1080p blu ray is on par with a 4k stream.

It's just the fact there is no real 4k content and streams are so compressed which means 4k atm is a waste of time and will be for a long time.

By the time 4k really takes off i'm guessing a 4k OLED will be the same price as 1080p models are currently.

Soldato
I wouldn't go out of my way to replace mine with an OLED :)

that said if I re-bought now I'd prob get an OLED - not that I would have a choice anyway

I still think the picture you get from a Plasma has a certain quality and uniformity that is very hard to beat - even know - but then I'm biased - I spent a small fortune on my ZT65 at a time I could have bought a very decent 4k set for same price !

about 300W of power use isn't great though !

Soldato
I've still got an older panny G20, still produces a nice picture, ok the quality is far surpassed by the newer models but its still a great tv :) I bet they can be had for peanuts second hand nowadays too.

Associate
I got a 50" LG Plasma about about 2.5 years ago. It's fantastic. Much heavier then a modern set, but I think it looks way better then most cheaper panels I see people using.

Seems a shame they let the tech die.

Associate
Still rocking a Sammy ps42q97hd from about ten years ago. Lacking connectivity, huge borders, glare is pretty bad and weighs and absolute ton but still think the pq with SD stuff is great. It's died once but 40quid later in TV shop and it's been fault free again. My son has played hours of the same game on it but never suffered from burn, had IR for a while but never stayed.

Got a ps51d550 in the lounge now and love this even more.

I always found plasmas to excel in SD content while a side by side comparison of HD content LCD/LED would come out better. Would still buy a plasma tho if I could.

Never seen these oled tvs, are they as good as everyone is saying then? Not that I'll be upgrading until one dies and oled come down in price.

Caporegime
OLED is very good but it's still really new tech and has its niggles. You cannot really compare say a 15th generation plasma to a 1st or 2nd generation OLED. it's too new.

I would wait for at least the 5th or 6th gen panels.

Back
Top Bottom