Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Rookie error - upgraded my other gen8's processor to an E3-1220L but forgot to shut the VMs down first so they all had to have their saved state removed (equivalent to a hard reset). D'oh. I remembered to do if for the other one so no idea why I forgot this time!

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I always configure auto-start/auto-shutdown on my home ESXi hosts, so a clean shutdown of ESXi will trigger all the VMs to cleanly shut down as well.

Soldato
I'm not entirely sure, but it seems that the celeron is struggling. I've just learned that Chromecasts don't natively support MKVs properly, which is what most of my movie collection is in.

It is encoded as H264 MP4 so if I understand it correctly, it should just stream it in another container, correct? Trouble is, the video is only 4GB and it's running on a gigabit network with Wireless N. WiFi signal doesn't seem to be in issue by the chromecast, and most films are running fine.

Is the server simply struggling to transcode this particular file?

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

This assumes all your guests can be shutdown softly via guest tools or acpi.
Yep! If not, it will time-out after 120 seconds of waiting, and will force power off. Saving session on disk is really slow and blocks out a fair amount of disk space (I only use SSD).

Soldato
What are people's views on Teamviewer? I'd really prefer to not rely on MS RDP and port forwarding. Is teamviewer secure enough for use on my home server?

GDL

GDL

Associate
I use it for mine for access outside my network and never had an issue. Obv use secure passwords across the board.

Associate
What are people's views on Teamviewer? I'd really prefer to not rely on MS RDP and port forwarding. Is teamviewer secure enough for use on my home server?
Big fan for using outside my home. Can set microserver to WOL other PCs too via teamviewer which is amazing.
Internally(or via vpn) I use VNC or RDP as I prefer working that way but for reliability and ease of use for quick changes/moving files teamviewer is brilliant.

Associate
I'm not entirely sure, but it seems that the celeron is struggling. I've just learned that Chromecasts don't natively support MKVs properly, which is what most of my movie collection is in.

It is encoded as H264 MP4 so if I understand it correctly, it should just stream it in another container, correct? Trouble is, the video is only 4GB and it's running on a gigabit network with Wireless N. WiFi signal doesn't seem to be in issue by the chromecast, and most films are running fine.

Is the server simply struggling to transcode this particular file?

I think it's the codecs, not the containers that are the problem. I moved away from the Chromecast for this reason.

I didn't have trouble with video codecs (h264, vc1, avc) but audio. It REALLY likes aac, and doesn't do well with many other audi codecs. My N40L managed fine if there was a stereo AAC codec in there, but was trouble whenever it had to transcode. trying to force Direct Play didn't help.

Soldato
Change the option when you install it to personal use only and you won't.

You will if it sees you accessing too many different machines or too often. We use at my company to access our management PCs on customer sites and the odd occasion I have fresh installed on my laptop and set it to personal only to be greeted with a message about commercial use.

They also now seem to put a pop-up up if you remote onto a machine licenced as commercial from a personal machine.

If you are just using it for you then none of this is obviously going to be an issue though :)

Soldato
Hi. I'm running n54l with 4 hdds, 2 of them in raid1 and ssd with os. Can i add 2 more ssds to be used in raid1? Obviously will sort out cables etc, but want to know if bios will support.

Soldato
Some advice needed please.

I have a N36L with 4 gig of ram installed. Currently running synology software on it. It is only used to run the Plex media server, everything I have thrown at it works perfectly well so far. The problem is updating the software to run the latest version of Plex, I am about 10 versions behind and it cannot feed PS4s or ipads.

I was thinking about putting win10 on it to run the plex server, would it cope with it do you think?

Thanks

Soldato
I run Plex on mine with Win10 on it, I however am on a Gen8 with E3-1260L so a hell of a lot more grunt that you are chucking at it, it might do it if you tweak the stream quality a lot...

Soldato
Is that the gen8 with the celeron cpu?

Some good deals on that at the moment and it possibly could be time to upgrade anyway.

Was the install easy enough onto the gen8, I used the media tool for my PCs, could I do the same for an initial install here ?

Thanks

Soldato
The Gen8 has a socket 1155 unlike the older Gen7 that has 3/4 soldered options iirc.

Mine did come with the Celeron G1610T which I then swapped out for an i3-3220T then finally the E3-1260L..

Having had the Gen7 and the Gen8, I do prefer the Gen8, its a nicer chassis to work on and although it only has 1 expansion slot on it I found that the 2 I had added to my Gen7 (USB3 and second NIC) are built into the Gen8 so I also added a P222 to give me more grunt..
The main failing of the Gen8, imho, is the gap between the heatsink and the drive cage, makes cooling an issue, and the fact that its limited to 16Gb RAM... the first of those issues has been almost addressed by the new SKU's that were released with a revised heatsink but the 16Gb of RAM is a PITA as I've got 5 VM's that run on mine and rather than leaving them all on I have to shuffle them around and keep an eye on the RAM...
Its looking less and less likely there will be a Gen9 so I might be leaving the Gen8 brigade, stripping it for parts and building something bigger with more expandability that will then go up in the attic...

Back
Top Bottom