** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
Yeah, outstanding HOLY HELL....

Out of box : no dead pixels
No BLB
Minute IPS Glow
No Coil Wine
No input lag, or none that i could notice or tell
No Ghosting that i could tell or see using setting 80 as per tft central settings

I will get a picture uploaded soon showing BLB though all i can notice is slight IPS glow. from right top and right bottom corners.

-----------------------------------------------

I think i have gotten lucky lol

freesync is OMG i dont know why i went without it for so long, NO MORE STUTTERING ....

i have found that the default freesync range is 35-90
that is pretty good imho as most demanding games wont let you get there anyway

but i tested out 57-144 range and its also good if you dont drop under 60fps that is but that could be used for games that you know you wont drop that far to.

im testing out other ranges as im trying to get a better lowerbound ....

though so far using TFT` centrals settings the monitor is fantastic.

This is how I feel about mine as well. After reading all the horror stories I was really scared but I can't find a single fault with it :)

Soldato
Well guys.. here are the images. ;)

Any images with 2 monitors showing - Left is my AOC Ultrawide monitor - Right is my Asus

-------------------------------

share link : http://imgur.com/a/8T4KY

---
Images taken in pure darkness with flash off on my galaxy s6 edge+ and resampled quite a bit but you get the idea :)
---

Back Light Bleed / IPS glow test =
XGDaYUC.jpg
4vh3r5z.jpg

Straight View quality test = 1st image native res | 2nd image 4k
KPdeUAo.jpg
1HH8c9o.jpg

Last Pic - Youtube 4k video @4k resolution with proof :
R8WC6Hz.jpg

----

as you can see guys from the BLB/GLOW image there is virtually none at all
you can clearly see the monitor is on but the picture shows near no bleed/ips glow

anyway like i said the pictures dont do this screen justice, it looks miles better to the naked eye....

P.s hope these images are allowed if not i will spoiler tag them.

Associate
At first I thought where is a photo which test for blb,after a while a notice power led of the monitor.That's what I like, pitch black screen.Panels like that boost my confidence in ordering on in the future.

Associate
Hi all..I'm toying between 2 monitors and this MG279Q is one of them(the other a dell u2715h) I see the last post here was 31st Dec,so has anyone else had this monitor since?if so what's your thoughts on it,I noticed That people seem to be getting better Rogs at the moment,any thoughts would be great..Thanks all

Associate
If you game then get the MG279Q, especially if you have an AMD graphics card.

Hi Melmac..I primarily game and I have a R9 390,it's just I've heard a few horror stories about the MG279Q,whereas the Dell seems pretty good regarding issues Blb,IPS glow etc...bloody hate choosing a new monitor :) Thanks 4 your advice

Soldato
Anyone usine one of these with an Nvidia card? I'm thinking about getting one even though I'm using a geforce. I'm using a 24" G-sync monitor at the moment and G-Sync is in NO WAY worth an extra £300+!. I'd rather just sink the money in to the screen itself and put the rest in to a new GPU later.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone usine one of these with an Nvidia card? I'm thinking about getting one even though I'm using a geforce. I'm using a 24" G-sync monitor at the moment and G-Sync is in NO WAY worth an extra £300+!. I'd rather just sink the money in to the screen itself and put the rest in to a new GPU later.

So, what is your question? Without an AMD GPU its a monitor without any new syncing technology and your choices are triple buffering and or vsync.

I bought PG279Q and two of these, they would only run in surround at 60hz without forcing things, but doing that, and getting 50-60fps on a game, I noticed huge tearing on the two MG279Qs and none on the PG. So that, combined with the fact I couldn't get 144hz surround, I replaced both the MG's with PG's.

But they certainly work fine, so if you are happy with vsync or no syncing options then its fine.

Soldato
Is the Asus MG279Q discontinued?

Have noticed a few retailers out or low on stock and saw one saying discontinued?

With the continuous QC problems owing to the Optronic panels, would it be surprising?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using mine with a single 970 and love it. Getting high fps in all the games I play (not AAA titles) and it looks fantastic. No bleed at all and minimal glow only visible on plain black.

Couldn't be happier.

Associate
Hello,

Is it the time to buy this screen (6 month old) or other models may be more interesting in freesync QHD ? I have no information on possible new panels 27" freesync.

If yes, I feel that a lot of merchants (here in France) are out of stock, including amazon. Is it risky to buy one of the last remaining stock? Or Asus had already solved issues on new series.

Finally, on receipt, is that there are specific things to check other than IPS glow (on black background) and dead pixels?
I have not read all the pages but I saw some issues with asus.

Thank you a lot :)

Soldato
Yea, the QC on some recent gaming monitors has been shocking. They must think we are a bunch of mugs.

It's why I'm being cautious now. Already had to rma a duff Asus monitor.

Associate
Associate
I bought a B grade MG279Q -- One dead pixel at the top right of screen, but unnoticeable unless on a white image.

Is there a way to check that I haven't bought a pre-firmware update version?

Also, I thought the overdrive/tracefree was disregarded when set to Freesync? Seems to be a lot of trailing/inverse artifacts at 90hz w/Freesync. using 60 Trace Free.

Back
Top Bottom