Imagine if...Trump wins and there's a BREXIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
None of it really matters.

You will keep working and earning roughly the same as you would have ceteris paribus, whether in or out of the EU.

Your kids will go to the same schools.

There won't be a WWIII.

Nothing much will change either way.

Associate
OP

You will keep working and earning roughly the same as you would have ceteris paribus, whether in or out of the EU.

There won't be a WWIII.

i pretty much agree with all that, but would love to see boris on the world stage being boris as we know him (yes i know a lot of it is carefully stage managed), what a breath of fresh air it would be

Soldato
I could not resist: So a military invasion is brotherly kumbaya in your opinion? I knew I was doing it wrong all these years!:o

Sevastopol is the home of the Russian Black Fleet, it gives them access to the Mediterranean Sea. They weren't going to risk losing that. You have to understand that this is the Russia that was invaded by a European power and lost 20 million people 70 years ago, and was involved in the Cold war with America for 50 years after that. Don't expect them to welcome pro EU governments forming in what they view as a buffer state, Russian culture just isn't like that.

Caporegime
The pound is dropping pretty quickly as a result of the BREXIT indecision. It'll be interesting to see how low it goes in the next few months!

Caporegime
If Trump magically becomes president then it will be hilarious. None of his so called policies iwll ever pass the senate and he will be the most useless president since independence.

What I don't know is faster 1-2 years of insanity if there is some kind of executive decision possible by the senate to force a reelection.

Soldato
That part of Ukraine is of huge strategic importance to Russia, they would go to war before they gave up their naval base in Sevastopol. It's about as important as Pearl Harbour is to the Americans, who would do the exact same thing if anything threatened their ability to project power from Pearl Harbour.

The main difference is that we can vote in our own Politicians, where as you can't do that with the European ones. That's why Gordon Brown isn't Prime Minister anymore.

We do vote for MEP's or at least I do (sometimes).
Andi.

Soldato
You'd have to catch it first. It moves around a lot. It's like a ferret on speed.

I hear it's quite docile, and hasn't always seen eye-to-eye with the fluff dictator:
676550.jpg

Soldato

There won't be a WWIII.

Can't agree, I mean you might be right, but leaving the EU is going to cause a great deal of uncertainty and it's definitely not guaranteed that everyone would keep working and earning as before.
I don't see why the rest of the EU will do us any favours when it comes to trade agreements, yes we import a lot of the EU but as a percentage of overall EU trade it's not that significant, and if UK exports are no longer competitive due to tariffs that's a growth opportunity for businesses in Europe. They could easily destroy the viability of our finance services but requiring that transactions denominated in Euros be conducted in a Eurozone country.
It might sound fearful but there are real potential threats and we have no idea how they'll be resolved if the UK chooses to leave, blithely assuming it'll all be ok is folly and "sovereignty" won't mean jack is the economy collapses.

Soldato
If Trump magically becomes president then it will be hilarious. None of his so called policies iwll ever pass the senate and he will be the most useless president since independence.

What I don't know is faster 1-2 years of insanity if there is some kind of executive decision possible by the senate to force a reelection.

I like to think that Trump is just projecting his rather unique public image in an attempt to get elected, and that behind the walls of the Whitehouse he would act completely differently... Maybe we'll find out maybe we won't! Still, whether there is or there isn't I'd sleep better at night with him in the Oval Office rather than with Hillary Clinton - she gives me the creeps.

Soldato
I like to think that Trump is just projecting his rather unique public image in an attempt to get elected, and that behind the walls of the Whitehouse he would act completely differently... Maybe we'll find out maybe we won't! Still, whether there is or there isn't I'd sleep better at night with him in the Oval Office rather than with Hillary Clinton - she gives me the creeps.

I couldn't disagree more. Forget Hillary for a moment. If you contrast Trump with Obama the difference is plain to see. Obama is cool, calm and collected. He thinks things through for the betterment of whatever he does. He's articulate and has charisma and he has a fair heart and a fair view on the important issues and how to work them through. Trump comes from a background of bluster and sound bytes. He divides people where Obama seeks to unite people. Trump seeks to play on ignorance and fears where Obama has tried to evoke positive change and equality. Obama seeks to tear down walls not build them up, he's a diplomat and seeks reason and compromise in order to push things in the right direction. Trump is reactionary, knee jerk politicking sideshow. Grabbing headlines but not offering any substance. He's a brute force in a world where we need a delicate reasoned tactile approach. It's a real shame Obama has to step down because whoever follows in his footsteps will be overshadowed by his grace as a politician on the world stage.

Trump does business deals, he's not the refined politician that America needs. He's a loose canon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom