Fuji X Series

Associate
Marvellous, innit? Refreshing in the age of endless cynical product roadmaps driven by marketing only.

Obviously these companies exist to make money, they're not charities after all, but there's nothing like a manufacturer that stands by products well into their lifecycle.

The new X-E2S is basically the X-E2 with the new firmware. And as the RRP is $699 (X-E2 was $999 originally), so even new adopters get a good deal.

Roll on February!

Excellent news. Fuji have earned a lot of loyalty through their excellent product support. I wont be buying the XPro2 but i'll be pretty much guaranteed to buy the XT1 successor.

Soldato
I've ordered the X-Pro2, will trade in my X-T10 and keep the X-E2 as a backup.

Fuji's support and updates are a large part of why I feel happy buying early as it's awesome to know the camera I get will continue to improve over the next few years :)

Associate
I've ordered the X-Pro2, will trade in my X-T10 and keep the X-E2 as a backup.

Fuji's support and updates are a large part of why I feel happy buying early as it's awesome to know the camera I get will continue to improve over the next few years :)

Interested to hear you're opinions on it. Looks like an excellent upgrade, particularly the focus point control.

Soldato
Would like to see some in-depth reviews on the new sensor. The viewfinder seems a little small also (I don't understand why it's 0.6x when the xt1 is already 0.77x - seems a bit odd for the flagship to have a lesser sized viewfinder.

When's the xt2 supposed to come out?

Soldato
X-T2 is rumoured for June/July but nothing confirmed as yet.

The X-Pro2 is Fuji's "rangefinder" model, if you don't want the hybrid OVF/EVF or like the styling then the X-T2 will be cheaper (probably) and a better bet as it's a more traditional DSLR style and the EVF will likely be even better than the X-T1.

Soldato
Thanks rick. Just seemed odd that their most expensive in the range has some lesser specs. But as you say, it's their rangefinder model. I got the x100t a few months back and even with a fixed prime the ovf doesn't seem particularly useful and I find I don't use it. I expect most lenses on the xpro2 obscure a lot of the ovf view as well.

Soldato
The OVF/EVF is pretty expensive, it accounts for a good chunk of the cost and yes it only really works nicely with the wider prime lenses but that's pretty much the target market. If you're shooting the zooms then the X-T1/2 would be the high-end model.

Personally I love the style but I am also one of the crazies who bought the Leica Q :)

Associate
The OVF/EVF is pretty expensive, it accounts for a good chunk of the cost and yes it only really works nicely with the wider prime lenses but that's pretty much the target market. If you're shooting the zooms then the X-T1/2 would be the high-end model.

Personally I love the style but I am also one of the crazies who bought the Leica Q :)

When's your X-Pro2 shipping? I'm seriously tempted. Want to wait for some more in-depth reviews though....

Soldato
When's your X-Pro2 shipping? I'm seriously tempted. Want to wait for some more in-depth reviews though....

I've been told "early February" (I live in NZ by the way), I know that US orders have been pushed back until late February in some places so I'm not quite sure which is correct.

We're heading to Alaska in late April so as long as it arrives before then I'll be happy :)

Edit: Just been told that my order will be late Feb, apparently Fuji are holding back so they can ship to all suppliers at the same time and have had more preorders than expected.

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
It's been a very long time since I last posted in here, but wanting to get back in to photography again as I have a few planned trips away this year, mainly; Brugge, South Africa and Dubai.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a X-T1 for when I go to Brugge for Easter and then hopefully upgrading to an X-T2 ready for Safari and Victoria Falls in July for 10 days and 5 days in Dubai on my way back home.

If you was trying to keep your lens choice down to a bare minimum but cover full focal range, which ones would you take?

I'm presuming the new 100-400mm is a given for the Safari :D

Soldato
Does anyone have any experience using the teleconverter TCL lens or the wide converter for the x100t series? I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile getting either - probably more drawn to the TCL, even though it's bulky, as it looks like the 50mm equivalent and 1.4x reach would be useful, but not sure if it's worthwhile or just to hold off an get an xt2 later instead.

Associate
Just setting up Firmware 4.00 on my X-E2, and quite impressed with all the new functionality.

Being able to set the directional buttons to instantly change focus points/areas is the real biggie. Such a simple change, such a big difference in usability.

If you want to do it the old way though, you get 7 function buttons which is nice.

New interface is great- being able to set photometry, raw capture and ISO directly from a function button is fabulous.

Electronic shutter could be useful- it's certainly very quiet- the most you hear is a tiny "shlick" sound from the aperture.

Will try and get out later and test out the AF system. So far indoors it seems great, although I've seen a bit of hunting on my 23mm 1.4. Apparently the 35mm f1.4 now has rocketship-fast AF, will give that a try too.

Just about the only thing we don't get is auto playback on the LCD- annoying but minor. At least now when assigning EVF/LCD to a function button it toggles between them rather than having to select from a pick list, so it's more streamlined than it was.

Exciting!

Last edited:

RaV

RaV

Associate
^ Ya so far Im very happy with the update. The EVF UI changes are really nice and a lot more minimal. Can see a few people maybe having an issue with font sizes, but its fine for me and my glasses.

Associate
OP
So who here is thinking of buying the X-Pro2? I've been drooling over all the reviews!

Kind of torn between the new Sigma SD quattro H and the Fuji X-pro2 for my next camera. I know logically Fuji makes more sense as I'm invested into the lens system but the Sigma SDQH is a medium format beast!

Associate
So who here is thinking of buying the X-Pro2? I've been drooling over all the reviews!

Kind of torn between the new Sigma SD quattro H and the Fuji X-pro2 for my next camera. I know logically Fuji makes more sense as I'm invested into the lens system but the Sigma SDQH is a medium format beast!

I had a good looooong think about it, but the Firmware 4 for the X-E2 has kind of distracted me- it's basically a new camera.

Soldato
I've owned a couple of the previous Sigma DP models, in ideal conditions they can give fantastic images but you pay a heavy price for the Foveon tech. I couldn't even get over ISO400 before noise really ruined the party, battery life was woeful (20-30 images) and overall performance was so slow it was actually quite amusing. They were interesting characters but they are an entirely different animal to the X-Pro2!

I thought the H was a weird APS-H sensor? It is not quite full frame but larger than APS-C (and definitely not medium format).

Hoping my X-Pro2 arrives in the next 7-10 days (that is what I've been told) but the X-E2 has filled the gap very nicely and it's almost encouraged me to pick up my Leica Q which had been a bit forgotten as I've been enjoying the Fuji 56mm a bit too much.

Associate
OP
The Sigma APS-H sensor in terms of resolution is close to medium format, and given its IQ performance in the right condition I think it could be a serious contender to some lower end medium format.

The X-E2 firmware upgrade really give new lease of life to the camera?

Soldato
The X-E2 is genuinely like a different camera, I have an X-T10 and the firmware update for the X-E2 has brought it up to being the same camera just in a different (and to my mind better) body.

Soldato
The X-E2 is genuinely like a different camera, I have an X-T10 and the firmware update for the X-E2 has brought it up to being the same camera just in a different (and to my mind better) body.

What might the effect of this have on XT1 sales? Might there be a drop in price of the XT1 prior to the release of the XT2 in June?

Soldato
The X-T1 is pretty old now and IMO overpriced when you consider the X-E2 and X-T10 give you 90% of the tech/features.

If (and Fuji has not confirmed it) the X-T2 launches in June then the X-T1 will definitely get a price cut but at that point you'd possibly be better picking one up second hand as there will be likely be a lot of people upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom