Had my new Macbook pro retina for a week now. Hate it so far.

Man of Honour
Finders crap.
Still don't find window management as good as Windows.
It's infuriating when you open a file open window from within an app and even though it's set to group by date showing most recent first sometimes files from that day will just not exist even though you can go into Finder and they appear as expected.

Saying that for the sort of thing I use my laptop for at home these days it's perfect, and the hardware is great.

Soldato
The initial learning curve is high, I found I knew the answers on windows quickly and easily, on OSX I had to re-learn and become familiar with the tools available. I initially installed Parallels as I needed some things for work that just couldn't work in OSX. Now I rarely have to fire up Parallels and i've gotten used to OSX.

Soldato
OP
Trying out Commander One now.

Another minor thing. I hate this stupid 'desktop' thing. I just want to go back to the desktop and see the stuff I found on it, or if I click and app it comes up, and not look like it isn't responding because it's on this other mythical desktop.

Soldato
I feel your pain. My missus has a mbp and whilst the hardware is great, osx is worse than Windows in nearly every way. People claim its intuitive but have to Google a solution on how to do simple stuff. It's not even that pretty anymore, in fact it looks a bit 2005

Soldato
If you're used to it then it's easy and reasonably logical. if you're coming from windows then it's only natural you will have to re-learn things.

Associate
I think most of us who have been a member here for over 10 years would have come from a PC background hence overclocking.

But c'mon Windows is just a pile of puke!

Soldato
Made the switch to OS X back in 2012. Could never go back to Windows. Do use VMWare Fusion for Windows VMs. Spotlight is a nice touch. Use that a lot! Also little things like being able to add markup to images inline while using Mail.

Commissario
It's just different. Once you've got used to a different OS, you'll be as proficient using OS X as you are using Windows.

If you'd been using Mac OS since 1992 (which is when Windows 3.1 was released) and suddenly changed to Windows 10 with absolutely no experience of Windows previously, you'd probably be saying exactly the same thing.

Soldato
OP
I remember having my Blackberry Playbook. Took a little while to get used to it but when I went back to an Android device I REALLY struggled to use the Android device, even though I was familiar with it, as I had become so used to the faster way of doing things on the Playbook.

Of course there will be a learning curve, I just don't like everything seeming to be a gesture on the laptop, or a keystroke, and where is the insert key? lol

I am not complaining, I am just finding it really hard to adapt, and do simple things. That install option for applications you download... what the hell is that about? Just icon's, no explanation etc.

Anyway.... I've now handed my laptop back to work, and so I have no choice but to us the Mac. I am sure I will get used to it, and it will probably be beneficial to me because I have to do a lot of Linux based work.

Associate
I recommend trying Mission control for changing between apps and desktops (spaces). Take a look at the options available in system preferences/mission control to configure it to your liking.

Personally I like to uncheck the "Group windows by application". In addition to that, bind it to your favourite shortcut. I use it with gesture on touchpad and normally bind it to thumb-button of a mouse if bother to use one.

I've mostly given up on mouses with OSX, since touchpad + gestures just feels better. I even got a bluetooth touchpad to use with my desktop mac. For gaming, extensive excel and image editing I still prefer a mouse.

Biggest benefits of OSX are in my opinion Mission Control, command line and Time machine. Biggest drawback by far is Finder, which I find utterly horrible even after more than 5 years of daily osx-usage.

Associate
It's what you get used to. I was always Windows until about 10 years ago before switching to Mac. I hate windows now ... have a Windows 10 machine still, but just prefer a Mac now.

Back
Top Bottom