What did you do to your bike today?

Caporegime
That's strange,could be the top of the spoke inside has cut through your inner tube,but usually there's a rubber rim tape covering them

Sure you covered your whole tyre with soapy water to see any punctures? Air will escape from the nearest gap

Edit: I think you've just just a puncture in the tyre somewhere and its choosing that spoke to escape from

Last edited:
Associate
Petrol evaporates though within seconds,they are soaking it in the stuff,doesn't chain cleaner contain solvents? That would disolve and grease past the seals just the same I would have thought?

@sparc congrats

Plastics are oil-based, so they're not all stable in petroleum (oil) based solvents. Depends on the plastic.

"Citrus" degreasers are kinder, that's what I tend to use although obviously they're more expensive. I'm no expert but I've always understood that citric acid-based solvents tend to react less with plastics.

Depends on the bike really. If I need to tackle something really gunky like the inside of a chainguard or around a front sprocket, I'm not averse to chucking a load of paraffin in there to dissolve the chunks of gunk. But in general cleaning I avoid it. I've also found that once wheel paint starts to flake, paraffin seems to accelerate the process.

There's no right or wrong, except don't use washing up liquid! :)

Associate
That's strange,could be the top of the spoke inside has cut through your inner tube,but usually there's a rubber rim tape covering them

Sure you covered your whole tyre with soapy water to see any punctures? Air will escape from the nearest gap

Edit: I think you've just just a puncture in the tyre somewhere and its choosing that spoke to escape from

I just called a local garage that does motorcycle repairs too and he said a garage wouldn't be allowed to fix a puncture?? He said I could ring around other places, but as far as he knows it's not legal for them to do that and it'll be a new tyre job.

I'm going to try calling a few other places to see if they agree.

Man of Honour
Fitted my rear braided line and new rear disc, tried to fit my new caliper but the threads in one of the mount holes appears to have been absolutely ****ed which meant I rounded off my new stainless allen bolt so I spent an hour or so swearing at that and grinding and getting a grip of it with a pipe wrench and managed to get it out.
Stuck the old caliper back on with the old bolt, fitted new pads sorted.

Haven't taken it out yet but with the old warped disc the bike would kick around when I let the wheel roll in first up on the stand now it's fine so it seems to be all good.

Damaged the new caliper slightly when I slipped griding the bolt so I've got no chance of getting a refund on that as along with that they'll just say I cross threaded it.

Anyway to re thread the caliper so it's not a total waste for me?

Also seems that HEL sent me the rear line for the naked SV which is slightly longer than the S but it still fits just runs along the swingarm on the exhaust side rather than along the top, but it doesn't swing about so I'm happy to leave that as it is.

Associate
They will stick a new innertube in,but they can be repaired, probably just covering themselves

I phone a few places and they said they'd only replace the tyre.

I've got my first service next Thurs at Streetbike, so I gave them a call, and they're going to pick the bike up, sort the tyre + do the service, and drop it back off.

I've ridden the bike pretty much every day since I got it back. 6 days is the longest I've been off it, and already feeling a bit agitated :p.

Caporegime
jingo can you drive? you'll save more taking the rear wheel to local bike shop,if its got innertube then all it needs is a new one roughly £10-£15,if its a tubeless tyre and the puncture isn't close to the edge then they can plug the hole

Associate
jingo can you drive? you'll save more taking the rear wheel to local bike shop,if its got innertube then all it needs is a new one roughly £10-£15,if its a tubeless tyre and the puncture isn't close to the edge then they can plug the hole

Yep, I drive. Do you know anywhere around brum who'd do this? I tried a few close to me and it was a no.

Soldato
Just done a dummy build of the rear and the wheel fits perfectly, so the hours of messing around measuring, making spacers and machining parts to fit has paid off. Still need to get the swingarm adjuster slots milled out to 25mm to fit the CBR1000RR spindle, I made some sleeves to make the original spindle fit just for the dummy build.

The USD forks and front wheel are all ready to be fitted, so making some progress now.

WP_20160226_004%20Custom_zpsztblt7gf.jpg

WP_20160226_007%20Custom_zps7zz81oya.jpg

WP_20160226_006%20Custom_zpshtjwloj8.jpg

Soldato
Depends on the part :p

Exactly what I was going to say!

For basic spares - wemoto are good.

M&p,busters,demon tweaks,eBay,they are all good depends what you need

Sorry should have been more specific lol, i want to change the exhausts so i wanted to know the best place to buy any spares i might need. I'm not paying £700 for arrow cans or akropovic.

I think this is the best i'm going to find.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-M...874366?hash=item2a37af7dfe:g:lpAAAOxyVLNS-sPK

Back
Top Bottom