• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dual CPU's dx12

Soldato
Hi

Not sure we're to put this question but here goes.

I've been given a PC

e5 2620 (2.0ghz) x2
asus z9pe d8
32gb 1600mhz corsair

I've been googling around and I can't find any info on weather dx12 will make use of both CPU's .

If not I'm going to sell and get a 5820k with mobo and ram to go with it.

Or will the one CPU it uses been OK?

Associate
Judging by the Ashes DX 12 benchmarks, core clocks still very much matter, sell and get the 5820k.

Also unless you are playing all new games, dx11 games dislikes 2 CPUs very much, games like gta v will not even run unless I disable one. (I run 2x e5 2640 v3s) 2.6-3.4 ghz, which is enough for all the games I play.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hang on a second guys. I Googled e5 2620 and it's a 12 thread monster. He has two. That makes a total of 24 threads at 2Ghz. Yes the Clock speed is low and yes it's a server type configuration, but I reckon DX12 games would make good use of those cores.

The best thing the OP can do is wait and see before upgrading. Alternatively if the hardware can fetch a pretty penny, sell up and get a 5820k after all.

Soldato
OP
I've looked around and I can buy a 5820k, mobo and ram with the money I get from the sale.

But because it was a gift I don't really want to sell it. But to make myself feel better I will spend every penny on the new build.

But on the other hand I don't want to make the mistake of selling when it perfectly fine. Plus it looks like a beast when you look inside and see all that ram and 2 cpu's.

I know what your thinking, don't sell if it was a gift. Yeah I know but if the other CPU will never be used then its a waste and i could have a much more powerful PC with a 5820k

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've also thought about that, but my googling fails me. I can't find a straight answer to weather you can disable one socket. I've had a look in the BIOS and can't seem to find a option for it.

Seems there's little information on dual socket boards are there really only for servers

Edit. I should just try it :-/ lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah. Only played payday 2. It runs OK on medium settings with a gtx590. My monitor is 1920 x 1200

My older rig ran a little worse with a i7 920 and a gtx 480

I'll have to test with some more games

Associate
Stuff playing games on that, that's a Virtual Machine hosting and video encoding monster. I doubted Windows Home or Professional would let you use all those cores and then I googled this;

Windows 10 supports maximum memory configurations that were formerly available only in the realm of servers. Windows 10 Home supports up to 128GB of RAM on the x64 platform. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise both support up to 512GB on the x64 platform. The x86 versions of Windows 10 support a maximum of 4GB of RAM. Windows 10 supports a maximum of two physical CPUs, but the number of logical processors or cores varies based on the processor architecture. A maximum of 32 cores is supported in 32-bit versions of Windows 8, whereas up to 256 cores are supported in the 64-bit versions.

Reminds me of my old dual CPU rig with Slot-1 processors.
Go play!

Back
Top Bottom