Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Typically just bought a Pi 2, then saw the 3...

Is anyone using a Pi 2 as a HTPC?

I bought one for that intention and then it seems that I can't play Netflix or Amazon Prime videos on it. I mean I should've done my research it's true, but my phone can do that...

Soldato
I was thinking about getting some more Pi as I have 2x Pi v1 B at home for like twitch and steaming lucky I didn't buy one :) will get the Pi3 :)

Soldato
Mine gets delivered today, upgrading from raspberry P2 due to this awesome support...

Pi 3 also has a graphics upgrade, using Broadcom’s 400MHz VideoCore IV, rather than last year’s 250MHz version. The new hardware will support 1080p video at 60fps using the H.264 format, up from 30fps. The new Pi also gains H.265 support for the first time but is limited to 1080p at 30fps.

Hopefully H265 support works as well as stated :)

Associate
Keep almost buying a Pi2 to play around with as an HTPC, but some reviews of the performance kept putting me off. Might have to get a 3 now though, should be good enough as a HTPC as the Pi2 was only just too slow!

As for the current requirements. It says 2.5A is needed for the attached devices, so a pi on it's own should need less, which is also shown here

Soldato
Anyone tested out the WiFi yet? One of the main reasons I would upgrade is decent built in Wi-Fi. Not too bothered about the range but maintaining decent speeds would be nice.

Soldato
Not sure if this has been posted already but seems to be the best review with tests I've seen so far on the raspberry pi 3

http://blog.pimoroni.com/raspberry-pi-3/

Raspberry Pi 3 Pulls 750mA under load & also seems to get pretty hot (75°C) :( (altho throttles @ ~80°C)

pi3 = 750mA
pi2 = 360mA

The onboard wifi seems slower than a USB wifi adapter & also has no connection for a external antenna so would guess it would be a waste if you have a metal enclosure.
Someone posted a picture on twitter earlier today of some small test points that could possibly be used to solder a external antenna to so maybe mod-able.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine gets delivered today, upgrading from raspberry P2 due to this awesome support...

Hopefully H265 support works as well as stated :)

Where did you get this from? The gpu is the same as the rpi2 so it does not hardware decode h265. There is a chance that the latest improvements to Kodi will allow it to software decode medium to lower bitrate 1080p h265 encodings a bit better than the rpi2 (which was ok at 720p and some low bitrate 1080p).

Art

Art

Associate
Well that didn't take long...

Interesting. I ordered mine from Pimoroni, and it came in their trademark sweetie bag inside a padded brown envelope:

YhtPIEs.jpg

Of course it has to arrive on the evening I've lots of work to do for tomorrow...

Art

Art

Associate
That's strange, I think I got my order in at around 7.30am and got a dispatch email around lunchtime. Did you have anything else in the basket? I just bought the 3, so maybe yours has been held up by something else.

Back
Top Bottom