TV Licensing Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
They like to act tough and use scare tactics to frighten you, but the reality is, if you don't talk to them and refuse to let them in your house, there isn't much more they can do. How can they prove you are watching TV without entering your property and gathering evidence? They'll use their detector vans!! Oh wait... They don't exist!

I've recently moved property and like a lot of things, pay in advance, everyone else was able to refund me what I'd paid, even the council. But not TV licencing, they only refund in 3 month blocks apparently, as I pay quarterly I lost out on two months. Dreadful company.

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'm not sure what to make of this, I'm glad the loophole is going to be closed but I'm not sure how the BBC will monitor it. Maybe they should introduce a subscription model instead.

I wonder if they'll limit the number of devices per account.

Man of Honour
Bloomin' Netflix have stopped the use of alternative DNS codes now so I can't get the American version :(

No they haven't. They've blocked a handful of the very popular ones. It takes about 2 seconds to find alternative dns which works.

It's not even a half hearted attempt to keep some people happy.

Soldato
I am glad the loophole is going to be closed as I agree with the article. The License fee pays for the programs, why should freeloaders get access to programs my license fee pays for just because they want to wait until after the transmission date?

I think it's a good thing that they have recognised people watch TV differently now to how they did ten years ago, but I'm slightly concerned about how they will implement this... I don't have a TV license because I don't watch actual TV, but occasionally I'll hear about a BBC program I like the sound of and I'll go and watch it on iplayer. Am I freeloading? well yes, once a month I guess I am.

I have no problem with contributing to the cost of producing programs I watch, but if the method by which this is made an option is just to require a full £150 TV licence (or however much it is) then I'm obviously not going to pay it, and will therefore miss out on whatever it is I might watch once a month.

I'm hoping that a sort of 'pay as you go' option gets implemented, so that the amount I pay depends on how much I watch. However, I'm not expecting that's what they'll actually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom