BBC iPlayer loophole to be closed and also ad blockers to be looked at

Man of Honour
Shouldn't they be looking into what's causing so many people to ditch normal TV? I think they are trying to fix the wrong problem.

There isn't anything to fix, TV is an old system. They're now up against very cheap and massive catalogue online streaming.
Give it another 50 or so years and the closest thing to TV will be online streaming of sports and other events.
Why do you have an issue with them implementing a paywall? Don't pay the license dint watch the content.

Soldato
There isn't anything to fix, TV is an old system. They're now up against very cheap and massive catalogue online streaming.
Give it another 50 or so years and the closest thing to TV will be online streaming of sports and other events.
Why do you have an issue with them implementing a paywall? Don't pay the license dint watch the content.

I'd love to see the BBC even attempt to put everything behind a paywall, going to cost a lot of have a system that properly polices who can use iPlayer. I have no issue with a paywall, i'm not sure they're going to have much success with the way they are going about it.

Soldato
Stopping ad block? If sites used regular, non intrusive ads (like say a 30 second ad on youtube or a skippable one every 5-10 vids or small embedded ads with no sound playing content) would be fine.

Getting a 1.5 hour ad on yt that's meant to have a 5 second skip option but that glitches out? Hello adblocker......

Man of Honour
I'd love to see the BBC even attempt to put everything behind a paywall, going to cost a lot of have a system that properly polices who can use iPlayer. I have no issue with a paywall, i'm not sure they're going to have much success with the way they are going about it.

Really it's Nott going to cost a lot at all. They already have accounts, they already geo block, they already have a pay store.

All they got to add is license number to your account and remove all videos from being public.

Man of Honour
The sooner we get rid of the tv licence the better.

Its ridiculously outdated - whole system falls apart if your lifestyle doesn't match a fairly limited range of "normal" options i.e. try getting a license when you technically don't have a fixed abode as such i.e. I know people who spend quite a bit of time living off boats and just don't bother because the system doesn't accommodate them.

Man of Honour
Its ridiculously outdated - whole system falls apart if your lifestyle doesn't match a fairly limited range of "normal" options i.e. try getting a license when you technically don't have a fixed abode as such i.e. I know people who spend quite a bit of time living off boats and just don't bother because the system doesn't accommodate them.

What?

It's easy to get a TV license if you live on a boat - either you live on a boat randomly in which case your home TV license covers your boat usage as well or you actually properly live on a boat in which case your license can be registered at the address your boat is licensed at - same as the other utilities boat owners will have to pay.

:confused:

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;29238310 said:
What?

It's easy to get a TV license if you live on a boat - either you live on a boat randomly in which case your home TV license covers your boat usage as well or you actually properly live on a boat in which case your license can be registered at the address your boat is licensed at - same as the other utilities boat owners will have to pay.

:confused:

Some of the situations I'm aware or or have affected me are quite long and boring to explain but not everyone has a situation that is nice and tidy like that.

Some people don't have a "home" address they can use and the system doesn't (or didn't - was awhile ago it came up so I dunno if they've sorted it since) accommodate where they aren't fully permanently living out of the boat (particular case I'm referring to they spent quite a bit of the year caretaking/renovating boats and properties and renting outside of that).

I was affected by it (or atleast couldn't seem to find a way) when I was moving around a lot for work - several places I was staying in for a few weeks weren't licensed or not initially covered by a license and the closest thing at the time to a permanent address I had the owners didn't have a TV license for religious reasons and wouldn't allow one registered there either by me for the same reason and there isn't any allowance that I can see in the system for a "personal" license so to speak that isn't registered to a fixed address.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Lol I am just picturing TV license men coming to visit your boat on a canoe with paper work to find out if you ha e a TV license.

Heh

Its silly and very unlikely to ever be caught if you didn't have a license - but some people like to try and do things by the book.

Soldato
Once this series of Fresh Meat is over, there is nothing I watch on the BBC. I don't listen to the **** on their radio and if there's a decent documentary on there, I usually end up just buying the blu-ray once its released.

I'd rather stick the TV licence towards a takeaway/gym membership/fuel/etc.

Associate
As a recent former employee, I can say this has a secondary target, proxies. If you google iplayer outside UK, VPN's and proxies will sell you access to iplayer. I'm not totally sure on the details, but I think the license fee only applies to the UK, but iplayer doesn't have to. In order to let people watch iplayer on holiday, which people write in about btw, they need a verification system. This would also enable people to buy iplayer from outside the UK, as at the moment, BBC gets nothing, the proxy companies are raking it in though. It would also allow fee payers get access with just a log in.

There are obviously people who don't have a license, students etc, who watch iplayer, so having them sign in using their parents account, as many Sky users do, isn't going to change anything. There is also the question of whether the fee remains, if it gets cut by 50% for example, then revenue will have to come from other sources, BBC Store is one, but selling content access to iplayer is another. If you are wondering what iplayer has that BBC Store doesn't, it's live streams and content that BBC doesn't own but can put online.

The ad blocking thing is nonsense.

Soldato
I don't have a licence, cancelled it a couple of months ago, watch a fair bit of catchup but very little on iPlayer, if they require a licence in the future I shall simply stop watching it, no skin off my nose whatsoever, plenty of stuff to watch without iPlayer and I'd rather spend my money on blurays or netflix.

Caporegime
as long as they confine it to just iplayer and not all on demand services like Amazon Prime, Netflix etc.. then I'm not really fussed

Soldato
There's nothing stopping anyone from watching things live on iPlayer currently, even if it isn't technically allowed. If they were going to introduce licence checks why wouldn't they have already done it for live content?

Back
Top Bottom