"Authentic" Burrito recipe

Associate
Hi everyone, I have recently been wanting to make some burritos but I can't find an authentic recipe. I'm not sure if there is an "authentic" recipe but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas (What do you use in your burritos) as I'm stumped as far as finding a good recipe like those from Tortilla/Barburrito etc. :D

Also from your knowledge does anyone know if there is such a thing as an authentic burrito as I'm starting to think it's just an American invention :)

Soldato
I think probably the most authentic 'recipe' part is just what you do with the meat, and the other ingredients used (chillies etc). Have you checked out Thomasina Mier's Wahaca recipes? That's pretty much the most authentic mexican food you can get in the UK. I have one of her books which has lots of recipes for different taco fillings -- I'm sure you can adapt for burritos.

Here's one recipe for burrito; http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/14/food-and-drink-thomasinamiers

Much love for the burrito :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think probably the most authentic 'recipe' part is just what you do with the meat and the other ingredients used (chillies etc). Have you checked out Thomasina Mier's Wahaca recipes? That's pretty much the most authentic mexican food you can get in the UK. I have one of her books which has lots of recipes for different taco fillings -- I'm sure you can adapt for burritos.
Here's one recipe for burrito; http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/14/food-and-drink-thomasinamiers
Thanks :), that recipe looks great. I'm surprised it didn't use chili con carne as the meat as I thought that would be a component in the burrito :confused:

Caporegime
Thanks :), that recipe looks great. I'm surprised it didn't use chili con carne as the meat as I thought that would be a component in the burrito :confused:

Absolutely not going to be chili con carne at all.

Traditionally you will have a choice of a grilled marinaded chicken, steak, a low cooked pork or beef, and tripe.

Man of Honour
I do actually make a chili out of ox cheek/beef shin for my burritos. It's not completely authentic but it's so delicious...

Aside from that, the recipe already given looks pretty good.

Associate
OP
Absolutely not going to be chili con carne at all.
Traditionally you will have a choice of a grilled marinaded chicken, steak, a low cooked pork or beef, and tripe.
Hmm, I may try the chicken as usually I go for beef so it should make a nice change.:) Still surprised chili is not authentic at all :confused:
I do actually make a chili out of ox cheek/beef shin for my burritos. It's not completely authentic but it's so delicious...
Aside from that, the recipe already given looks pretty good.
Ooh, that does sound tasty, I'm used to ground beef in chili but I bet beef shin has much more flavour. May have to have a go at that in the future :D

Thank you for your ideas guys :)

Caporegime
Hmm, I may try the chicken as usually I go for beef so it should make a nice change.:) Still surprised chili is not authentic at all :confused:

Ooh, that does sound tasty, I'm used to ground beef in chili but I bet beef shin has much more flavour. May have to have a go at that in the future :D

Thank you for your ideas guys :)

Chili Con Carne isn't its common form is not at all authentic in the slightest, it an American soup, but the Brits seem to serve it with rice and not ina bowl with some bread.

You can make an authentic chili, a type of Mexican stew, the recipe FrenchTart links to is very close to authentic and damn tasty (my recipe is almost identical). But that isn't something you would put in a Burrito, it would be like putting a Steak and Ale pie inside 2 slices of bread and calling it an authentic sandwich. A pie is a pie, a stew is a stew and a burrito is a burrito.

the closets think would be some slow cooked beef barbecoa, e.g.
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-to-feed-a-crowd-slow-cooker-barbacoa-beef-165301 Its not a world apart forma good chili, but its more of a slow cooked pulled beef. Equally popular is slow cooked pork.

Man of Honour
That recipe also looks awesome. Barbacoa is pretty delicious :)

Another thing to look into is carne asada recipes. A very similar dish, though with lots of different flavours going on.

Associate
"Authentic" Burritos originated from Chihuahua and are a bit different to the Tex Mex ones from America. Google Burrito Chihuahuense. They're smaller, have fewer main ingredients and use wheat tortillas.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Tacos > Burritos
Absolutely not :D
"Authentic" Burritos originated from Chihuahua and are a bit different to the Tex Mex ones from America. Google Burrito Chihuahuense. They're smaller, have fewer main ingredients and use wheat tortillas.
You're right, they appear to have more emphasis on the meat and rice/potatoes in their recipe with little to do with salsa and the other trimmings. They remind me of large chimichangas :)
That recipe also looks awesome. Barbacoa is pretty delicious :)
Another thing to look into is carne asada recipes. A very similar dish, though with lots of different flavours going on.
I was looking at what carne asada was but again I'm still not quite sure as there are so many variances. It appears to be steak cooked and cut into strips in various herbs and spices (Depending on the recipe you use)
Chili Con Carne isn't its common form is not at all authentic in the slightest, it an American soup, but the Brits seem to serve it with rice and not ina bowl with some bread.
You can make an authentic chili, a type of Mexican stew, the recipe FrenchTart links to is very close to authentic and damn tasty (my recipe is almost identical). But that isn't something you would put in a Burrito, it would be like putting a Steak and Ale pie inside 2 slices of bread and calling it an authentic sandwich. A pie is a pie, a stew is a stew and a burrito is a burrito. the closets think would be some slow cooked beef barbecoa, e.g.
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-to-feed-a-crowd-slow-cooker-barbacoa-beef-165301 Its not a world apart forma good chili, but its more of a slow cooked pulled beef. Equally popular is slow cooked pork.
I'll definitely have to try that recipe in the future as it sounds different but quite nice and you're definitely right about it not being but into a burrito (It would probably get a bit messy if I did) :)
Thank you, I'll check that out although I must admit that the shots of espresso surprise me but it's not the first time I've seen coffee or cocoa go into a chilli :)

Soldato
Breakfast burritos are good, scrambled egg, chopped up bacon, salsa/hot sauce and cheese. Win!

Carnitas is amazing, good recipe on serious eats.

Pretty much any grilled meat or fish even is good, grilled halibut or shrimp burritos are yum. Or slow cooked meats, carnitas, barbacoa etc.

Add filling - rice, beans (black beans, pinto beans, refried), grilled fajita veggies (onions, bell peppers, jalapenos), sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole etc.

Then wrap it up in a flour tortilla and you are set :p

Start off with ceviche also, man that is sooo good.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Breakfast burritos are good, scrambled egg, chopped up bacon, salsa/hot sauce and cheese. Win!
Carnitas is amazing, good recipe on serious eats.
Pretty much any grilled meat or fish even is good, grilled halibut or shrimp burritos are yum. Or slow cooked meats, carnitas, barbacoa etc.
Add filling - rice, beans (black beans, pinto beans, refried), grilled fajita veggies (onions, bell peppers, jalapenos), sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole etc.
Then wrap it up in a flour tortilla and you are set :p
Start off with ceviche also, man that is sooo good.
I've just had breakfast but after reading this I'm starving :D
I was thinking of grilled marrinated chicken, mexican rice, pinto beans, pico de gallo salsa, sour cream and monterey jack cheese but I cant find a recipe for the Mexican rice :(

Soldato
I've never, ever had mince in a burrito :)
I am somewhat limited in my motor-skill/tortilla-folding capabilities, so mince makes it easier to pack it with the beans and rice and so on. I do insist on decent mince, often using lamb instead of beef, depending on what seasonings are going in - I am also limited to non-spicy recipes and often those with no onions, beans or garlic.

Interestingly, the word Fajita supposedly referred specifically to the cut of skirt steak used... although people don't like it being mentioned when they bring out their 'traditional' chicken fajitas!!

Breakfast burritos are good, scrambled egg, chopped up bacon, salsa/hot sauce and cheese.
And far superior to breakfast pizza... I do like to include sausage (boerewors, cumberland or lorne, preferably) and mushrooms in mine, minus the hot sauce.

To me, "burritos" are more of an adaptable concept than a precisely defined recipe.

Associate
OP
cook rice, add coriander and lime, done
That's not mexican rice, I mean the orange one (Although I do like corriander and lime rice) :)
I am somewhat limited in my motor-skill/tortilla-folding capabilities, so mince makes it easier to pack it with the beans and rice and so on. I do insist on decent mince, often using lamb instead of beef, depending on what seasonings are going in - I am also limited to non-spicy recipes and often those with no onions, beans or garlic.
Interestingly, the word Fajita supposedly referred specifically to the cut of skirt steak used... although people don't like it being mentioned when they bring out their 'traditional' chicken fajitas!!
And far superior to breakfast pizza... I do like to include sausage (boerewors, cumberland or lorne, preferably) and mushrooms in mine, minus the hot sauce.
To me, "burritos" are more of an adaptable concept than a precisely defined recipe.
I know but I was just wondering if anyone knew an authentic burrito recipe as I've seen and had many delicious "Personalised" recipe but I was wanting to see what the "Original" was like :)

Associate
The Burrito I had in Chihuahua was just beans and cheese. There were several on the menu and I got the impression that if you want more ingredients you order more Burritos. They're more like a snack and were the cheapest items by far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom