Is it just for games?

Caporegime
Is VR solely for games or will there be other applications as well? I'm thinking along the lines of films, virtual tourism or experiences and vistas like skydiving or tropical beaches.

I know it might sound boring, but it just seems to me there are so many possible avenues for it to take.

Could we one day see people donning their VR headsets and shopping in VR supermarkets?

Associate
From my small experience owning a Oculus DK2, one of the most awesome things was loading up a movie (a 3D movie I must add) and watching it in a virtual cinema!
The biggest letdown was the resolution but that will be much improved with the coming hardware releases.

People are developing many different experiences for VR. I'm excited about an Everest one that they are making https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9DrXFTHM3o which I think could be great.

Soldato
VR literally has uses in almost everything we do, one way or another. Initially it will be games and some entertainment, but eventually everyone will be using it some how. Even estate agents in some places are already getting into the action.

Being able to essentially give someone a virtual tour of their new home before its even build in true 1:1 scale is better than any sales pitch can ever be.

Associate
I can imagine estate agents selling properties with virtual walkthroughs.

Does VR cinema mean being able to pretty much look over your shoulder and see actors and scenery behind you?

I would have thought it would be more like watching a huge cinema screen in front of you rather than you being "in the film". That kind of immersion is way beyond our technology yet. Although I look forward to the time when holodecks become real :)

Soldato
Would be great for home and garden designing so you can get a better perspective of our structural changes wilful do affect living spaces etc.

Soldato
I would have thought it would be more like watching a huge cinema screen in front of you rather than you being "in the film". That kind of immersion is way beyond our technology yet. Although I look forward to the time when holodecks become real :)

Ah yeah, actually, that would be very impressive!

Back
Top Bottom