**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
You don't 'clinch' on the floor. It's slightly ironic how you're bored so easily but follow a sport where the biggest star has possibly the most boring style of all time. Also that supposed 'striker' is the one who initiated the takedown because he was hurt and turned into a wrestler.

Tell us more how nobody watches MMA because of the grappling, though. It's great reading.

Caporegime
What's funny is the majority of the match was striking anyway, they were barely on the ground, I think you're underestimating how effective Ju Jitsu is, not everyone can choke each other out (Nate is at an elite level, trained by some of the best in the world) and you also have fighters who are very good at defending submissions. Conor lost because he took the fight to a place he had no chance of winning, Nate did not lose badly and win lol, that makes zero sense. He ate everything Conor had and did what he excels at, rocks fighters, takes it to the ground and submits them.

The best thing about MMA is you have various styled fights throughout the card, how anyone can find that boring I don't know.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't get the big deal. He stepped up got beat goes back down fight some more maybe try again in a few years.

Wish more fighters would show more ambition and drive when they are dominating their division instead of siting there waiting to get knocked off their peddle stool

Soldato
really ? mma will go back to obscurity when Mcgregor retires.
Watching people roll around on the floor trying to choke eachother is boring..Mcgregor brought in new fans because he's a striker when they go back to 2 dudes clinched on the floor it's boring.

MMA wasn't in obscurity before McGregor, only the MMA illiterate would say that. As for your lack of appreciation for the ground game, I don't really know where to start.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's amazing how many people are talking about the fight last night who have never watched it before or knew anything about it before Conor.

My dad even asked me this morning if I watched it, and he'd NEVER normally care about MMA, so I'd say C64 has a point unless someone else with his level of charisma comes along

Soldato
MMA is hitting the mainstream unfortunately, and the media clung to McGregor's hype because that's what they do. They feed on a bigger-than-life character to sell interview's and media time. It has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with marketing selling an illusion. The illusion is that a single man can be so good that he can beat anyone and everyone in multiple weight classes.

We all like the idea of superheroes, but until genetic re-coding becomes a reality we're stuck with the flaws of human nature and Jon Jones...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just watched it and I think McGregor gave a good account of himself to be honest. He did look pretty tired but it can't be easy against someone who is clearly taller and more punch resistant.

MMA does have "boring" fights as do any competitive sports. Boxing has its fair share of tear-ups. I just treat them separately.

I think it's much easier to appreciate the ground-game if you have a go yourself - it's certainly not just rolling around, it's a game of chess.

Last edited:
Suspended
I was surprised by how gassed McGregor was by the 2nd round. Why was that? A function of the strikes by Diaz? In the post-fight interview he mentioned a few times that he felt he was inefficient and I don't understand that. He missed a few kicks, but most of his punches seemed to connect.

Soldato
I was surprised by how gassed McGregor was by the 2nd round. Why was that? A function of the strikes by Diaz? In the post-fight interview he mentioned a few times that he felt he was inefficient and I don't understand that. He missed a few kicks, but most of his punches seemed to connect.

Excess water from trying to make the weight perhaps?

Aren't they all doped up? Perhaps he had to back off the drugs to make weight.

Soldato
Well it was half in jest. Boxing is known to be dirty as **** and a few top MMA fighters have been caught out (Ubereem :() pretty much all sports have it at the elite level don't they? Even tennis was in the news recently. Cycling, running...you name it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it was half in jest. Boxing is known to be dirty as **** and a few top MMA fighters have been caught out (Ubereem :() pretty much all sports have it at the elite level don't they? Even tennis was in the news recently. Cycling, running...you name it.

Nah you're not wrong, I just thought you were another boxing fan being a bell. Also Conor didn't have to cut any weight. Pretty sure he even bulked up a bit, too. They both weighed in under 170.

Soldato
Wow!

I thought one surprise was enough, but two, and both to submission! You couldn't make it up!

I reckon McGregor regrets the trash talking! He should have toned it down a bit!

In the run up to the fight the way Diaz and him were going at it, it was impossible to ever end up on the score cards. I thought McGregor would win after a battle, I was surprised he was so laid back in the fight, didn't bother to capitalize which is important when fighting a guy like Diaz as your first fight at that weight; get him out early!

Tate was just not expected! Rousey will easily beat her again, and I doubt she (Rousey) will win against Holms when they meet again.

I used to be a big MMA fan but not any more, much prefer boxing; has more class and skill to it. However MMA lately has been so hot it's hard to ignore.

Back
Top Bottom