The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
Have you tried making sure the cable is in properly at both ends and/or changing cable? I've found the stock cable a bit unreliable the connectors don't seem to be the most robust.

Checked cable
Changed cable
Uninstalled drivers and then used DDU
Re-installed drivers
Used the monitor with a different GPU
Used the monitor with an entirely different rig

Still nothing.

Soldato
Well according to a gent over at Asus the lack of HDCP support could be that the panel shipped with faulty firmware i.e simply not enabled.

Not really a big deal TBH as I only ever needed the HDCP feature once and the panel is pristine.

On a side note I found out what was causing the screen flashes.

I have the monitor plugged into a power strip that also has my dehumidifier plugged into it, Everytime the heater would click on the screen flickered, I changed the dehumidifier over to a different outlet and the problem is gone :)

Soldato
Fair point....is there any back light bleed? I know about the lottery with the IPS swift. Can't remember about the TN panel though.

It's still as much of a lottery. But the thing i didn't like most about this monitor (besides the dead pixels and random flickering which mine had) was the pixel inversion lines. Once you see them it's hard to ignore and looks awful.

Does this do 3D Vision well? I've read some comments saying it's pretty bad. Anyone tried it?

Yep, it's pretty poor on this monitor. Theres tons of ghosting on it.

Last edited:
Associate
So, I've had my swift for about 10 months now and I'm having the problem where the monitor turns itself on for no reason and sometimes doesn't turn on at all, detailed in this thread on the asus forums:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55509-PG278Q-turning-back-on-by-itself

It seems from this thread that the issue is caused by shoddily designed power bricks, so ideally I would want asus to just send me a new one - what's the best course of action in getting asus to do this?

The posters on that thread seem to be getting told by asus they need to send their entire monitor back for RMA and I'm very reluctant to do that honestly. I do also have a cluster of dead pixels that occurred about 6 weeks after I got the monitor (not sure how many, but they make a diagonal line about 3 millimeters across), so it would be nice to get one without that defect.

Honestly though, I'm concerned about the cost of shipping (I'm hugely skint at the moment :/) and being offered a replacement that is worse than my current monitor. I know asus send out refurbished monitors as warranty replacements, but I've kept my swift in mint condition and there are just too many stories of people being offered terrible monitors as replacements.

I have almost non-existent BLB and in general it's a perfect monitor outside of the two defects it's developed.

What do you reckon my best course of action should be? If I should just get a replacement power brick, how can I convince asus to send one out individually? Apparently some people were told by asus support the best thing to do is buy a new one themselves, but there's no way in hell I'm spending money on a replacement to a defective component from a (at the time) £600 monitor!

Man of Honour
Didn't pay anything for shipping - Asus sent a courier to pick up the faulty one and swapped the panel at the door.

The power adapters seem like garbage to me and I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't half the cause of these panels failing - though I've only got faulty ones to test the ones I've tested with an oscilloscope have shockingly bad regulation - if they are like that normally I'd strongly recommend just buying your own replacement :S

Associate
So I bought one of these monitor units second hand and faulty which was DOA since late 2014. It sat in the box ever since as the guy could not be bothered with an RMA process. It had a faulty flickering screen which was replaced with a new one and now I just RMAed the power brick. So all in all, I managed to get a pretty much new unit at less than half price. While I’m happy about the purchase, I can’t say the same about the colour vibrancy of the monitor. Coming from a Dell ultrasharp IPS, I’ll have to get used to the poor viewing angles of a TN, but the colours look really washed out to me. Any recommendations on a good colour settings and ICC profile?

Man of Honour
So I bought one of these monitor units second hand and faulty which was DOA since late 2014. It sat in the box ever since as the guy could not be bothered with an RMA process. It had a faulty flickering screen which was replaced with a new one and now I just RMAed the power brick. So all in all, I managed to get a pretty much new unit at less than half price. While I’m happy about the purchase, I can’t say the same about the colour vibrancy of the monitor. Coming from a Dell ultrasharp IPS, I’ll have to get used to the poor viewing angles of a TN, but the colours look really washed out to me. Any recommendations on a good colour settings and ICC profile?

Default gamma curve is whacked, decrease the gamma in the driver control panel to somewhere between 0.8-0.9 and it'll be vastly improved.

From my experience many of these panels have a slightly different colour profile out the box so you'll probably have to tweak to taste or calibrate it properly rather than use someone elses ICC profile.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Assuming you use an nVidia GPU there is a section in the nVidia control panel for desktop colour settings - adjust the gamma down a little there - it should completely fix the bleached look with minimal if any impact on overall colour fidelity.

I haz 4090!
Don
I thought I'd share my experience with Asus support on getting mine swapped after it developed the fault. I put it on the back burner for a while since I bought an X34, but I've been playing more CS again recently, so the try-hard in me needed the swift. :)

Anyways, the RMA process itself was quite painless. One online form to fill in, a slight delay whilst I provided a video of the issue, and a swap on my doorstep was arranged in a few days (form completed Sunday, swap took place today). I was happy with that, until the replacement arrived today.

In the top-left hand corner, the panel isn't flush with the screen, it sticks out a few mm, none of the controls on the back work, the power light doesn't work on either the bottom panel, or the surround of the base, and the whole bezel has marks where someone has stuck a screwdriver in to wrestle the panel out.

On top of that, the "Light in Motion" option is permanently on the screen, and as the controls on the back panel do not work, I can't choose an option to get rid of the menu, rendering the monitor practically useless.

Shocking, SHOCKING quality control on the refurbs. I'm understanding where Asus support get their reputation from now.

I've emailed support, as well as the MD of Asus UK with a lightly worded, constructive email about my issues. No reply from either as of yet.

Man of Honour
Sadly been my experience with RMAs more often than not with Asus :( my current RMA replacement I think is on its way out (slowly) when I got it gently pushing on the sides of the panel largely eliminated backlight bleed but now its coming back and pressing the edges only sorts it for a short time before it starts to gradually return and the DP socket on the monitor is degrading and moving the cable results in momentary blackscreens sometimes dropping down to 85Hz until I unplug it and plug it back in again - based on my experience within a year the socket will die entirely.

Have to say I'm not to fussed at this point once it dies/becomes too big a problem gonna stick in the bin and maybe try the Dell as the extra HDMI socket would be handy anyhow - already decided I'm not buying anything else by Asus in the future.

I haz 4090!
Don
Sadly been my experience with RMAs more often than not with Asus :( my current RMA replacement I think is on its way out (slowly) when I got it gently pushing on the sides of the panel largely eliminated backlight bleed but now its coming back and pressing the edges only sorts it for a short time before it starts to gradually return and the DP socket on the monitor is degrading and moving the cable results in momentary blackscreens sometimes dropping down to 85Hz until I unplug it and plug it back in again - based on my experience within a year the socket will die entirely.

Have to say I'm not to fussed at this point once it dies/becomes too big a problem gonna stick in the bin and maybe try the Dell as the extra HDMI socket would be handy anyhow - already decided I'm not buying anything else by Asus in the future.

Agreed, Asus are off my manufacturer list in future.

They make such good products usually. The CS of things should be a doddle to sort. I really don't understand why people struggle so much with it, it baffles me.

Soldato
Mine died last week, not even going to bother sorting out an rma so looks like it will end up in the bin. Bought the Dell g-sync & couldn't be happier at least if it dies they have good customer service to fall back on.

Soldato
Quick question re this test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

I've had my PG278Q since it came out. I always noticed a bit of weird flickering on light coloured screens, usually when scrolling. It's never really bothered me until now as I have just started playing a game with a white base background and it is very noticeable.

On running the above test, all of the 11 boxes flicker when I scroll.

Am I to take that this is NOT normal and I should be looking to RMA? I think the original warranty was 3 years so shouldn't be an issue I imagine. Just want to make sure this is an actual fault and what that fault could be - Looks from that site like it could be something to do with voltage settings?

Soldato
Well I raised an RMA and it's been accepted for a straight swap anyway. Hopefully with it being a couple of years since release I won't get hit with a poor quality replacement because of pressures for turnaround times.

Man of Honour
It isn't unusual for those boxes to flicker when scrolling due to the patterns and the way monitors work - don't RMA your monitor over that as there is a good chance you'll be swapping an ok monitor for ropey refurb with Asus's RMA procedures :S

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom