Spec me a low energy, low heat high performance 4k rig

Associate
I want to game at 4k...........well

However I need a small, low electricity using, low heat producing high performance machine.

Just the base unit. Budget is £2k as I already have the screen and peripherals.

Main games will be Blizzard games and Battlefield games.

Man of Honour
You are gonna struggle - The only thing that is going to come close to anything like energy efficiency and playing BF4 at 4K with any decent quality settings is probably the Fury Nano or possibly the GTX980 (I believe the actual core heat output is higher than the nano) - anything else will either severely struggle with performance or use a lot more power.

EDIT: TBH for 4K gaming performance you aren't really going to do it justice without going to more powerful GPUs where energy efficiency largely goes out the window unless you are exclusively playing older games.

Processor wise - almost any of the modern Intels if you fully enable power savings settings, don't overclock and/or stability test to see how low you can set the vcore will give pretty decent energy usage so you don't necessarily have to go that low end there to get energy efficiency.

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
bliz games are not super thirsty on gpu, it might be ok with 1 card
the op doesnt sound much into compromises tho :)

Man of Honour
bliz games are not super thirsty on gpu, it might be ok with 1 card
the op doesnt sound much into compromises tho :)

Depends on which BF games he is talking about and what settings - my 780 turned upto approx stock 980 performance averages around 40fps in BF4 at 4K with everything turned up which is struggling for playability at times.

Man of Honour
Crossfire sucks so I wouldn't recommend dual Nanos. Will one really cut it in 4K for long?

Depends if he is just sticking to Blizzard games and a bit of BF or also a wider range of stuff in the future. Hence 4K with any kind of significant considerations for power efficiency doesn't really work.

Soldato
ok when I say power efficient, something that is relatively easy on the electricity bill and doesn't make the room it operates in turn into a sauna.

also space is quite important, im thinking 6700k chip on an itx or matx setup and one card.

Last edited:
Associate
Pow this is the best option i reckon it can run games on good but for some games you will need to turn the settings down at that res. It has a 1tb ssd as its so cheap it will be mega responsive and nice also ssds are more reliable from what ive seen. if you want full ultra on everygame at 4k you will need to get a 980 ti or titan x which will produce a good bit of heat so thats up to you but this is the best i can come up with.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,518.00
(includes shipping: £14.10)

Associate
Haven't run Crossfire for a good amount of time so I can't really give any inside regarding its stability. It shouldn't be too bad since a lot of drivers are relished recently, no?
If you need small pc (MATX, ITX) the nano seems like a pretty good choice due to its size and power.
But for 4K gaming, you probably need 2 cards especially Battlefield series.
Mine setup is pretty similar to your requirements. I play with the MG279Q 1440p so far everything is very smooth and efficient. I also only play blizzard games and BF4. Pop another Nano in the rig then I think 4K gaming is possible. :)

Associate
OP
Electricity bill, also have very confined space to so need small computer and it needs to be quiet.

Just ordered the following:

6700k CPU
Asus Z170 MATX
Corsair H100i GTX
Corsair Carbide 240
32gb Corsair Memory
2 x Asus ATI Nano
Corsair 1000w psu
1 x 1tb Samsung SSD

Is there significant performance difference between 1x ssd and 2x ssd in raid?

Back
Top Bottom