Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Gents,
Sorry to ask such a basic question. However never had an occurrence of a buy out before when trading. Can you tell me if all share holders will receive the 26p per share? if so how and when is this normally paid?
This is for HOME which recently sold off Homebase.

Really appreciated.

Caporegime
But what if you don't have hours? I invested in low risk stocks for longer periods of time because I don't have a lot of time to be researching stocks, but if I can I would like to make more money.

if you don't have time then just stick with stocks over a long time frame... buy and hold, value investing type approach.

I know Diddums completely condones it, but what about binary options? I won't lie, I am worried I will run into the same problem as chipperhead, but this website: http://www.binaryoptionstrategy.eu/binary-options-brokers-comparison/
provides tons of options for brokers.

So what? Those firms aren't FCA regulated, even for firms that are FCA regulated these sorts of binary options are generally a rip off. How can you expect to make more money by trading a product that is likely (almost certain) to lose you money. If you're going to trade options then you do so via an exchange and you've got no business trading them without investing time into educating yourself.

Last edited:
Associate
Gents,
Sorry to ask such a basic question. However never had an occurrence of a buy out before when trading. Can you tell me if all share holders will receive the 26p per share? if so how and when is this normally paid?
This is for HOME which recently sold off Homebase.

Really appreciated.
At some point your broker will email you with timescales. You'll receive the money straight into your broker account ready to use to buy different shares or withdraw.

Soldato
Ask the broker, its not advice so they can tell you dates. Or read the RNS but I assume if the company is to be sold completely it will all apply until the end of trading and the shares delist

I read sainsbury is taking it over and also they are the most shorted stock on the ftse 100. Like BG and Shell you could buy that stock instead, sometimes a premium on one end of the deal makes the other cheap and surely SRBY is less risky over time

Shell a 100bn company rose 5% today, not an average move. Some story I read had gas stocks more favoured over oil as its a better market dynamic longer term. Its harder to transport, maybe less liable to flood a market not sure

Im told markets to stay bearish still unless sp500 confirms above 1920

Caporegime
not used it

can think of some immediate red flags though

are trades getting routed to any underlying market or are they acting like a bucketshop in that they take the other side of the trade... and therefore have all sorts of conflicts of interest?

how do they allocate large orders where there isn't sufficient liquidity - if it is a bucketshop then does everyone get slipped? If these orders are routed to an exchanged or ECN then who gets filled at the better prices or are all the accounts following a particular trader given some average fill?

this in itself seems dodgy - say some trader has a system that trades within a short time frame... supposing he then gets a bunch of followers and suddenly his trades are triggering large orders, does he now get worse fills as a result? Does he get filled first then his followers?

how are they accounting for performance - are open positions marked to market?

do they publish any summary statistics relating to all users?

Last edited:
Caporegime
So today's rise. What do we think? I think we have more pain on the way for oil prices so sold a lot of BP today with view to get back in lower. Results 3rd Feb

How much money could you make in a week on the stock market?

You can make lots with a crystal ball. You can also lose a lot.

Associate
if you don't have time then just stick with stocks over a long time frame... buy and hold, value investing type approach.

If you don't have hours, then make some time or don't bother - you will lose money. With no knowledge binary options will accelerate that process ! Only full time professionals can make money on those - or the very, very rare independent home trader.

Most people should play dumb which sounds like an insult but you can get rich playing it as simply as possible. Buy a plain FTSE tracker then if you lucky or smart, sell high buy low or just buy regularly

Options I think of like insurance, its an essential part of the market but most should not expect to make money from it. Human bias inclines you into gambling. You could take high risk unit trusts, I have Neptune Japan which gained 130% in 2008 as the manager is a maverick who shorted the entire market. Most funds wont do that but a couple are high risk. He operates long Sterling and short Yen strategy which currently looks really not good

I used to hold options via ETF on commodities in line with CRB. This was more passive management, it has decay as all options do and an ETF fee but it paid off as commodities rose. The largest part of CRB is oil so right now Im not sure but I think a fund is best

Thanks for the advice!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Wonder if anyone could recommend me a suitable online broker ;

So basic info ;

Shanghai based UK expat
Paid in CNY, but can easily convert to £, $, HK$
$5k for now
Planning to buy and hold.
Mostly interested in NASDAQ based stocks

Soldato
Not sure there is day traders but Im interested in what you might post sure. Do you have views on ETE WMB CHK and PSX efficiency wise

oil price ticked up a bit recently, first Iran oil arrives in europe but I think the lowest oil rig count for very many years is why.

buffets plays http://valuewalkposts.tumblr.com/post/140941282780/warren-buffett-moves-further-into-value-territory
4rSGFHs.png

PWN, maybe save up a bit more and look at https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1338
recommended by someone I used to chat with

Back
Top Bottom