Lets talk Vodka!! (I'd rather Drink Vodka myself)

Caporegime
more expensive vodka do tend to taste nice straight but by that they just burn less IMO as for taste there isn't much is there?

i can't stand whisky unless it's with coke. vodka i can drink with anything. i really like a rum and coke.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dont-be-fooled-4-alcohol-scams-2013-10?IR=T

this link is interesting.

i think the whole more expensive alcohol is just a ploy. i have 2 bottles of crystal skull, belvedere intense, russian standard, grey goose, ciroc, etc all in my collection but tbh nothing really beats russian standard after the first 2-4 you can't tell the difference. i will collect one of each premium vodka just to have in my collection i won't buy more to drink i think it's mainly placebo effect.

i was at a party serving goose and another serving belvedere when it ran out and switched to smirnoff (which used to be my regular before russian standard) i couldn't tell the difference tbh.

if your drinking neat then sure buy something around £20-£30 per 70cl, if mixing buy something around £15-£20 per 70cl.

cheaper stuff like glens, vodkat is just turps.

i would like to hear what peoples thoughts are on the best bang for buck?

russian standard
zubrowka
ketel one
stoli
absolut
green mark

which one??????

Last edited:
Soldato
It's always been my understanding that grey goose isn't actually better vodka than say Smirnoff?

I thought it was just some genius who saw a gap for "premium vodka" smacked a fancy label that made it premium and bottled up normal vodka and sold it for £xx more than others?

It was created specifically as a more premium Vodka at a higher price point. Whether it is any better or not and how much you are paying for the brand name, I don't know.

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2015/01/grey-goose-a-brand-history/

No.

Chart

This proves nothing other than someone made a chart of their opinion :confused:

Commissario
Now as someone who (as I said) assumed vodka was alcoholic water with no taste, I don't know where to start. If I were to want to just sample the odd glass of vodka, where would I begin?

Educate me as a total vodka n00bling.

Caporegime
Now as someone who (as I said) assumed vodka was alcoholic water with no taste, I don't know where to start. If I were to want to just sample the odd glass of vodka, where would I begin?

Winning BOTW this year will be a good start ;)

Man of Honour

They all taste different it's just far more subtle than say whisky, where you can get big Smokey or peat flavours.

You can't go wrong with grey goose or kettle one easy to get hold of and generally well rated.

Soldato
I do love me some vodka! :D

Really need to get some of the better brands though as I usually only have Absolut on hand. I do have Crystal Head, Ciroc and some old Smirnoff Black (I rather like that one actually :p). I did have some Chase but that went down smoothly as did the Grey Goose which was kinda disappointing.

I did try 2 new ones (to me) last night - both Chase - one Marmalade the other Oak Smoked. 1 hit, 1 miss in that order - the smoke flavour is very strong and rather unpleasant to my tastes!

Caporegime
I never understood vodka. The cheap stuff rates like a homeless pures in hurled up his whisky bottle. The premium stuff is cleaner tasting, but is basically various grades of pure ethanol with subtle trace amounts of impurities. It like homatherapy - the closer to pure water the better it is?

Give me a good whisky, cognac, brandy, Bourbon, rye, calvados any day.

Man of Honour
Bit of a misnomer. That it's just pure.
Gin is generally triple distilled, but you wouldn't hear anyone saying it's flavourless due to the distilling process, distilling doesn't remove all flavours, which also happens to be the number of times a lot of vodka is distilled.
The flavours are subtle but distinct, go try a black cow vodka compared to say grey goose.

Back
Top Bottom