SSD and RAM upgrade for 2011 MBP

Soldato
Looking at putting an SSD in my 2011 Macbook Pro. Thinking I'll remove the disc drive and keep my 750gb HD as well as I have a rather large music and movie library.

Are there any recommendations for what SSD to go for? and what size would suit me best considering I would be keeping my current 750gb as well.

Also looking to upgrade my RAM to 8gb, any recommendations with that?

Associate
I used an SSD from Crucial in mine, came with a 512gb spinning drive so replaced it with the same size ssd. Regarding ram i used crucial ram and put 16gb in mine.

Associate
I have the same one (early 2011) and put a crucial M4 in it with 8gb crucial ram. Haven't noticed any drop in performance in 4 years and have had no issues.
I guess it comes down to price, could go for Samsung evo if you don't mind paying a bit more and want a 'bigger' brand.

Incidentally I bought a caddy for my superdrive from a well known auction site and that works well as well although in fairness it seldom gets used.

Associate
I have an M4 in mine also (Early 2011 15"), great drive and perfect for that machine.

Unfortunately the machine itself is now slowly dieing so I'll be getting a replacement when they do the next refresh (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Soldato
I used a Samsung Evo in mine, coupled with 16GB RAM, and the machine was more than capable for the web dev and photo work I do.

I had to buy a new one last week as the GPU died in the '11, but if that hadn't happened, then it would still be in every day use for a year or two more, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom