Punisher water cooling.

Associate
Ok so assuming the chips that are on the way are all good now I have to cool the thing without it sounding like a jet engine.

The case is going to be a Supermicro CSE-748-1400B so is a little tight on internal space.

Because the case was a little out of my control the only rads I can mount are one 120.2 and one 80.3.

The rads are alphacool the 120 is 60mm thick with noctua fans the 80 is 45mm thick also with noctua fans.

Cpu blocks are cuplex kryos delrin reused from good old Hydra, with a MCP655 pump res combo.

My question is do you think the rads are enough to cool 4 E7 4890's each putting out 155W (Should have asked this before ordering the rads:rolleyes:).

I know the forums have a water cooling section but this build is a little different and probably more in your guys territory:)

Man of Honour
Depends on ambient, ability to exhaust hot air from location, few other things. But...

Short answer, no not really. I think you would struggle to do it quietly, sure even with loud radiator fans it won't be as loud as that case would be using its default fan setup, but depends how quiet you want it.

Could you mount a 360 or 480 and hang it off the back? Is the 748 going to be rack mounted or used as a tower?

Associate
OP
Was going to try and use it as my daily driver with a few mods to windows server so it will be pedestal next to the desk.

It couldnt be as loud as the current setup it really does sound gas turbine like when the fans spool up to 8000rpm:eek:

I could always put the 64 core rig in it and run the new one in an Elysium with bigger rads, will have to look at my options when all the parts are in.

Still waiting for any of the cpu's to turn up so I can confirm the motherboard if fully functional:(

Associate
OP
Finally got a bios that works so build progressing.
Brackets to hold the rads built and fitted.
I got the wrong size pipe for my fittings so waiting for that to arrive and the water block mounts need trimming to miss the ram and heat sinks but nothing impossible to overcome.
Not sure as Biffa said how quiet it will be with this setup but must be better than the air it came with.

Soldato
Good to see Sir BaBa yet builds! :) Where you locate the spare time and cash, I wouldn't venture to guess (train robbing? ;)), but looking good! Glad you got the BIOS sorted.

Associate
OP
Its ALIVE:eek:

After MUCH messing about it lives, this has probable been the most tortuous build yet.

But 75C in my lounge with it paneled up at 100% load.
Think a few more fans are needed:rolleyes:

Soldato
ba would the temps not be any lower with it like this

RAD --- CPU 1 --- CPU 2 --- RAD ----CPU 3 --- CPU 4 ---- PUMP ----

I have never used water cooling im just looking at it thinking that would take some load of the 3rd cpu

Associate
long debated but the temps prob wont change by changing the order, im just wondering if that inner vertical rad is doing much , hope its pulling but even then its got the drive bays in the way?
Have you got the temps for the individual cpus? 75c prob not that bad considering :) , i want 1 !!!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
RAD --- CPU 1 --- CPU 2 --- RAD ----CPU 3 --- CPU 4 ---- PUMP ----

That's how I had the setup on Hydra the 48 core rig but at the time everyone said it would make no noticeable difference, only getting 2C difference between hottest and coolest.

Inner rad is in the same position as the fan bank before I removed them and the front is vented.
Aft rad has fans in external pods that I switched out for some more Noctua ones.
It is a lot quieter than the stock setup but I think 3 more fans on the aft rad will not go amiss to try and get the hot air out.

Associate
It actually stabilizes down and varies to ambient temps and runs just about the same difference, which in your living room will be fairly high, so if the room warms up so will the loop
1 of my pcs with the outdoors rad varies according to outside temps which i think is the best you can get (in winter even better ) all that 0c air blowing over the triple rad does wonders :) you can feel the difference between the cold tube coming from the rad and warm tube going back in.

BTW what projects have you got it running on?

Associate
OP
Currently running a batch of nfs ,pogs and universe.

Want to try folding but not really up on what version to run ,tried a basic v7 windows install and couldn't get it to do more than 32 threads even when manually set to 120.

Man of Honour
Currently running a batch of nfs ,pogs and universe.

Want to try folding but not really up on what version to run ,tried a basic v7 windows install and couldn't get it to do more than 32 threads even when manually set to 120.

Windows 7/8 32bit only supports 32 cores, 64bit supports 256 cores.

However Windows 7/8 only supports 2 physical processors.

Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition supports up to 64 physical processors and up to 640 cores

Back
Top Bottom