• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Bench Thread

Soldato
My 970 is just as unplayable at those settings as bennyboys 290X, 970 has a 2fps average over three ~60 second runs which imo are definatly not an indication of in game performance.

The game seems way more memory hungry than it should be, probably requires the dev to sort that out. Mantle had similar memory management problems, they were eventually fixed. The problem was specific to BF4 and was fixed by Dice.

Caporegime
The game seems way more memory hungry than it should be, probably requires the dev to sort that out. Mantle had similar memory management problems, they were eventually fixed. The problem was specific to BF4 and was fixed by Dice.

DX12 requires the developer to be much more careful with memory management. DX11 drivers have a lot of complexity to handling resources like textures, geometry buffers

Associate
We could do with some Fiji cards benched. It will be good to see how DX12 fairs on both.

If I got some time over the weekend I'll re-install ROTTR and bench the Fiji Pro. I am guessing the AMD guys are running 16.3 Catalyst. I'll need to upgrade from 16.2.1

Maybe I could bench with the slightly older drivers and then the newer ones to see if there is any difference. Is the DX11/DX12 choice made within game options?

:)

Associate
GPU - GTX 980 @ 1581/3703
CPU - 4790K @ 4.5ghz
Drivers - 364.51 Drivers

DX11 @ 1080
2rro4le.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Permabanned
We could do with some Fiji cards benched. It will be good to see how DX12 fairs on both.

We can't run it. Not with very high textures, that's undoable in DX11 & 12.

How are we even getting results for the 970, 980 290 etc?

If I put very high textures on the benchmark falls apart because 4 gb's is not enough, I get missing textures, huge stutters and minimums that are minuses yet people are giving competitive results for 970's 980's and 290's.
It doesn't seem possible.

Permabanned
Caporegime
We can't run it. Not with very high textures, that's undoable in DX11 & 12.

How are we even getting results for the 970, 980 290 etc?

If I put very high textures on the benchmark falls apart because 4 gb's is not enough, I get missing textures, huge stutters and minimums that are minuses yet people are giving competitive results for 970's 980's and 290's.
It doesn't seem possible.

Nvidia and Hawaii cards may have better driver memory management for this game. Fiji having HBM likely has a very different driver path. AMD has mentioned that they have to optimize the memory usage on Fiji cards to help mitigate the 4gb VRAM, limit, so it's possible they simply have t achieved that yet. It is also possible that there is much less AMD can do to optimize memory in DX12 since that is song which the API explicitly exposes for developers.

Back
Top Bottom