*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
Just tether a mobile for a short period of time. Or arrange to work from somewhere else for four weeks until your internet is sorted.

Associate
Just tether a mobile for a short period of time. Or arrange to work from somewhere else for four weeks until your internet is sorted.

Exactly. IMO, you would be a fool to cancel such a good service, just my 2 cents.

@benparker

It's not the standard BT budget faceplate ;) Its a RJ45 network faceplate.

Associate
@LackyT thanks, so one end rj45 or both ends?

Since they install near the entrance and my flat doesn't have a power outlet there, they probably need to take it into living room which is a 6-7 meters or so.

Instead of them extending which may put landlord off, I'm probably better of running a rj45 to which ever room I want to put the router.

Associate
The customer service guy said he'd call me back to see if anyone is able to do it sooner, so will hear hopefully from him on Tuesday.

Edit - they called me today. I was skeptical as you know what CS can be like. Two weeks from now is my date :).

Last edited:
Associate
I think I'm the first person in my apartment block to have Hyperoptic. They fitted their socket last Monday I was deffo the first person to have the socket installed, then my building went live today on Thursday.

I previously had BT 76Mb, lately I was getting anything from 71-73Mb.

With Hyperoptic though my ping seems to be exactly the same to all the same servers when I was on BT. So I'd assume that Hyperoptic take their fibre cable all the way to the local BT exchange building and from there they connect to BT's main/national fibre cable.

This si the best result I had on speedtest.net at around 6:30pm:
5156609410.png

Fibreoptic supplied router > 10m Cat6 ethernet--coupler--10m Cat6 ethernet>switch>3m Cat5e ethernet>PC.
There seems to be no difference at all in ping, jitter and speed when I connect my PC directly to the first 10m Cat6 cable.

Last edited:
Associate
My previous router the BT HomeHub 5 (AC 5Ghz) maxed out my 71-73Mb bandwidth. I had already upgraded it from the BT HH4 router but to be honest the upgrade to the HH5 was a total waste of money as I doubt I rarely used more than like 20Mb on my iPhone while at home. So the Hyperoptic router suits me perfectly.

Using the Hyperoptic router ZXHN H298N (wifi N 2.4Ghz)
iPhone 6s (wifi AC 5ghz)

Distance: 30cm?
1575685811.png

Distance: diagonally 9 or 10 meters? no line of sight:
1575687590.png

25049652604_60db4cf7c0.jpg

10 floors, over 70 apartments, new build.

Soldato
With Hyperoptic though my ping seems to be exactly the same to all the same servers when I was on BT. So I'd assume that Hyperoptic take their fibre cable all the way to the local BT exchange building and from there they connect to BT's main/national fibre cable.

It will be, if you're in Manchester - anything you ping will almost certainly exceed 9ms because all your traffic will have to go down to London and out through LINX, the only way to get a very low ping is to live in London,

I had hyperoptic in Southwark for 3 years and my ping was 0.8ms lol :D but in reality, there's absolutely no difference whatsoever between a ping of 1ms and 30-40ms, the input lag from your keyboard and mouse, and to your monitor will be around 25ms, so I wouldn;t worry too much :)

Associate
It will be, if you're in Manchester - anything you ping will almost certainly exceed 9ms because all your traffic will have to go down to London and out through LINX, the only way to get a very low ping is to live in London,

I had hyperoptic in Southwark for 3 years and my ping was 0.8ms lol :D but in reality, there's absolutely no difference whatsoever between a ping of 1ms and 30-40ms, the input lag from your keyboard and mouse, and to your monitor will be around 25ms, so I wouldn;t worry too much :)

I respectfully disagree; Hyperoptic peer at IX Manchester, where connections to the BBC, Virgin Media, Akamai, Janet and a few others besides are present.

This means I've seen pings to Manchester University of 3msec, rather than the ~20msec that it would take to go via London and back :)

So it's not all bad!

Soldato
I respectfully disagree; Hyperoptic peer at IX Manchester, where connections to the BBC, Virgin Media, Akamai, Janet and a few others besides are present.

This means I've seen pings to Manchester University of 3msec, rather than the ~20msec that it would take to go via London and back :)

So it's not all bad!

It will do if you're in Manchester pinging man.ac.uk - JISC will most likely advertise man.ac.uk towards peers at IXManchester with a lower MED, or shorter As-Path, to suck in local traffic, however Hyperoptic only have 1Gbps at IXManchester, so I'd bet that 98% of Hyperoptic traffic from Manchester egresses via someone like Cogent, or goes via LINX/Lonap for most stuff, (because most stuff is physically based in London)

Associate
The Uk is so far behind Europe in regards to Internet and you get totally shafted in the wallet.

I emigrated from the Uk in 2011 and eventually ended up settling in France (not that bad once you get a grip on the lingo). We live in a small town on the outskirts of a northern city and get FTTH with guaranteed 500 Mbps down / 200 Mbps up. + landline with unlimited European fixed and mobile calls + TV with 160 channels, VOD, pause play, replay e.t.c for 30 quid a month!

Associate
I'm currently waiting for the engineer to come and install Hyperopic to my flat but I had a bit of a networking question;

As it currently stands I have my (sky) router located in the lounge and then all of my consoles etc connected via ethernet to it. Ideally I would like to replicate this with my Hyperopic setup but I don't want to run a cable all of the way from my front door and down the hall way to my lounge.

I'm considering having the hyperopic router installed into my utility cupboard which is just opposite my front door and then using a power line adapter to get to the lounge. In this scenario I would turn off the wifi of the hyperopic router and use the one from the lounge as it's located in a more central location, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? It allows me to use ethernet for all my devices under the TV but I don't know if there will be that much difference than if I just turned on their wifi connections considering that the power line adapters will add a possible overhead.

Any opinions on this?

EDIT: I should also mention that I'm going with the 1GB connection because.... SPEEEEED! (Yes I know I'm never gonna use it, but I'm a champion for my building so I get the first year free)

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting a 1GB connection and then connecting it via Powerline is a terrible idea. You'll loose a significant amount of speed.

If you're going to run everything over Powerline or wireless then you may as well save some money and select one of their slower options.

Associate
Getting a 1GB connection and then connecting it via Powerline is a terrible idea. You'll loose a significant amount of speed.

If you're going to run everything over Powerline or wireless then you may as well save some money and select one of their slower options.

See the "I get the first year free" bit.

But yes I realise that the power line option isn't a great idea, but it's the latency that I'm trying to battle here rather than the speed itself which is why it's still an option.

Associate
If you really need to minimise latency, it might be better to just bite the bullet and run one ethernet cable from the entry point to your living room (you can always clip it along skirting boards and paint it, etc) and put the one router in there.

Associate
If you really need to minimise latency, it might be better to just bite the bullet and run one ethernet cable from the entry point to your living room (you can always clip it along skirting boards and paint it, etc) and put the one router in there.

Well what would you say the latency difference between wired, wifi and power line is? If there isn't a whole lot in it then I might as well just stick to the wifi.

Back
Top Bottom