*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
FYI I just had the installation completed and it was pretty quick, but I would keep some paint handy as there are now marks all over the walls around where the cable has been installed.

Associate
If possible, always always go ethernet.

If you're not confident about installing it yourself then just get someone to do it for you who has experience of drilling walls.

There's plenty of forum discussions over years and years of people seeking help on problems about wifi and homeplugs. Yet ethernet there is next to no problems in comparison.

No gamer should ever use wifi or homeplugs for online multiplayer.

Associate
No gamer should ever use wifi or homeplugs for online multiplayer.

Latency is a much bigger concern for gaming than raw throughput, since the actual data stream used by online games is usually tiny, as in KiB/s. Homeplugs obviously aren't anywhere near as good as Ethernet for throughput, but having tested my own LAN, which is configured as

Ethernet<----->Homeplug<----->Homeplug<----->Ethernet

the latency is an average of 3.8ms, spiking as high as 10ms. A straight ping across Ethernet to the router is ~0.7ms. A ping across ADSL is much higher than any of these - about 26ms, for me anyway - and I'd imagine that games are written with this in mind.

Associate
Latency is a much bigger concern for gaming than raw throughput, since the actual data stream used by online games is usually tiny, as in KiB/s. Homeplugs obviously aren't anywhere near as good as Ethernet for throughput, but having tested my own LAN, which is configured as

Ethernet<----->Homeplug<----->Homeplug<----->Ethernet

the latency is an average of 3.8ms, spiking as high as 10ms. A straight ping across Ethernet to the router is ~0.7ms. A ping across ADSL is much higher than any of these - about 26ms, for me anyway - and I'd imagine that games are written with this in mind.
Yeah, ethernet is 100% reliable and stable. Wifi/homeplugs can have the odd tantrums for lag spikes that often people mistake and blame their ISP.

Soldato
Has anyone actually done an actual speed test on hyperoptic yet?

All I've ever seen are pointless tests to the nearest speedtest server which is hardly "the internet".

Can someone test New York, NL, Paris, etc? Test Manchester if you're in London, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone actually done an actual speed test on hyperoptic yet?

All I've ever seen are pointless tests to the nearest speedtest server which is hardly "the internet".

Can someone test New York, NL, Paris, etc? Test Manchester if you're in London, and vice versa.
Even though I'm in Birmingham city centre, according to internet sites they all think I'm in Manchester.
5183452491.png
5183859921.png
5183756477.png
5183794003.png
5183814270.png
5183748914.png
5183821862.png
5183835717.png
5183742063.png
5183716017.png
5183872963.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Appreciate that very much.

Moscow, NY and Sydney are amazing results to be fair. You have an awesome connection.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't know what it is but my 100MB Hyperoptic connection has been garbage these last two nights. Took me a LONG time to get through to support too.

Not sure whether it's the router or not. It was fine for two months solid though (no reboots needed)

Associate
Had mine installed today. Could only test on wifi with my sony xperia z2 as I'm not moving my desktop at the place I had it installed until the weekend. Got 50 up and down.

I've gone for the 100mb package, what's the best way to get close to that 100mb through wifi, if it's possible? E.g. which wifi adaptor? Obviously will depend on walls, but it's going to only be one thin one (sounds it!) and the desktop will be otherside of the wall the router is located, so a distance probably of < 1 m.

Associate
I preordered Hyperoptic's 1Gbps 12 month package last week. Still awaiting an install date!

Had mine installed today. Could only test on wifi with my sony xperia z2 as I'm not moving my desktop at the place I had it installed until the weekend. Got 50 up and down.

I've gone for the 100mb package, what's the best way to get close to that 100mb through wifi, if it's possible? E.g. which wifi adaptor? Obviously will depend on walls, but it's going to only be one thin one (sounds it!) and the desktop will be otherside of the wall the router is located, so a distance probably of < 1 m.

Best way is to buy a decent router and make sure your devices support 802.11ac (or buy a USB adaptor if it's a laptop/PC that doesn't).

I got an TP-LINK Archer C2600 router last month for £110 but they seem to have gone up now. I get really good 5Ghz wifi speeds to my iPhone 6s and macbook.

Associate
Can the hyperoptic router be replaced or is it still needed as the modem? So you run a cable from it into a better router?

Unless you need the landline (I believe Hyperoptic allow you to connect a normal phone to their router and seamlessly use the internet as a "phone line"), then you don't need their router at all. Just connect your own router (a proper router with a RJ45 WAN port, not an ADSL router) to their faceplate using a cable - job done.

Alternatively, you can use both at the same time by connecting their router to yours - however this will likely need a bit more playing with.

https://hyperoptic.com/connecting-a-non-hyperoptic-router/

Associate
Ah that's handy. I need one ideally I can stick onto the wall so it's not on the floor in the hall. Don't need the VoIP.

I guess I need to do my research on routers. I might upgrade to 1gb in the future who knows, so will probably go for a good one. Cost isn't an issue. That asus 5300 one looks like a scary beast although not sure if it can be wall mounted. The flat isn't large and at most the signal has one wall to through as the hall is in the centre. As I said as well, walls seem thin (hurrah to newish developments). There are a lot of networks around however.

The wifi adapter I have for the pc is a Belkin N from 2010. Not used wifi on the desktop in ages so not needed to buy one. I see some around that support ac and have some nice external antennaes which should help ensuring I get close to 100mb?

Isn't the hyperoptic router ac? I'm not in the flat so can't check until the weekend.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah that's handy. I need one ideally I can stick onto the wall so it's not on the floor in the hall. Don't need the VoIP.

I guess I need to do my research on routers. I might upgrade to 1gb in the future who knows, so will probably go for a good one. Cost isn't an issue. That asus 5300 one looks like a scary beast although not sure if it can be wall mounted. The flat isn't large and at most the signal has one wall to through as the hall is in the centre. As I said as well, walls seem thin (hurrah to newish developments). There are a lot of networks around however.

The wifi adapter I have for the pc is a Belkin N from 2010. Not used wifi on the desktop in ages so not needed to buy one. I see some around that support ac and have some nice external antennaes which should help ensuring I get close to 100mb?

Isn't the hyperoptic router ac? I'm not in the flat so can't check until the weekend.
The Hyperoptic router wifi is sadly N 2.4Ghz, not AC. Hopefully soon they will run out of their bulk-buy N routers and order in a load of AC routers.
Not that I need an AC router though as I don't need any faster than like 40Mb speed for my iPhone updates, but I'd buy their AC version whenever they announce they have some.

Living in a flat you are almost guaranteed the same speed no matter what room you're in. My previous BT HomeHub5 (wifi AC 5Ghz) and this Hyperoptic router gives a 3/3 bar wifi signal to all 4 of my neighbours on the same apartment floor - even though somehow the insulation and sound dampening is extremely good in my 3y/o apartment.

Just make sure both the router and mobile device are wifi AC 5Ghz, and the router has a RJ45 WAN socket so you don't need the Hyperoptic router to act as a modem.
There's no need to nit-pick about different brands, antennas and such. These days there's not much difference between any of the AC routers, anyone who disagrees have just been re-reading benchmark reviews over and over.

Associate
I preordered Hyperoptic's 1Gbps 12 month package last week. Still awaiting an install date!
On Feb 18th I received an email saying my block is ready for pre-orders, so that evening I placed my pre-order for 100Mb broadband only.
Easily within a few days they phoned me they asked when I'd like my install date to be. Two weeks later it was installed.
Two days later my block was still registered as "Taking pre-orders" so I changed my pre-order from 100Mb to 1Gb... guess what... the next day my block was live lol. Money talks, or something.

Associate
Can the hyperoptic router be replaced or is it still needed as the modem? So you run a cable from it into a better router?

I'm on fibre only, completely replaced the Hyperoptic router with a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. Works flawlessly with Hyper, just plug and play. I think they provide you with any settings required too.

Back
Top Bottom