Punisher water cooling.

PDW

PDW

Associate
not a question you may want to answer, but what was the over all cost?
You haven't answered this, not that I'd expect you to !

Am interested to know how much it weighs though ?
Would need to weigh up (pun intended) whether I could pick up and move something that size before I started :eek:

Soldato
True in some applications, and you still find HPC code older than my grandpa around, which is probably at least half the problem. But it would be interesting to see if BaBa's monster ranch can be matched via a cheaper, off-the-shelf route. :)

Man of Honour
You haven't answered this, not that I'd expect you to !

Am interested to know how much it weighs though ?
Would need to weigh up (pun intended) whether I could pick up and move something that size before I started :eek:

You could put one together (without the case) for around £4K, I'd guess memory is the killer unless it takes normal DDR3, supermicro says use DDR3 ECC LRDIMM in the cheapest board, but LRDIMM isn't cheap from what I can see. Although he has only populated two slots per bank.

Maybe you can use regular ECC DDR3 in which case they could be quite cost effective with 16 2GB DIMMS

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You could match it using E5-2670's(current price performance king)

However you would need 10 single or 5 dual rigs ,the price would be about the same and more difficult to manage/store etc.

Running costs would also be higher.

4 slots per cpu populated 8gb dimms (would have liked 16gb but that was price prohibitive).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Regular 1.35v DDR3 ECC DIMMS.

Think you need LR-DIMMS for the higher capacities.

Probably why I am not quite seeing the performance I expected in Cinebench, getting 5890 ish.
Have seen 6500+ for similar setups but it could also be OS related.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Will post some more shots when the gpu is in and working.

Got the temps down below 65 with a front bay fan and finally found the dodgy ram stick(for some reason the bios shows different config to the motherboard markings:/)

Associate
OP
OK so finished making the gpu power adaptors today:)

Moved the PUNISHER up stairs to its new home was just down powering the other rig to rob its titan when I noticed drips of water on the floor.

Surely they didn't come from the rig that's been running without a hitch in the lounge for days:eek:

I thinks its me being punished ,no time tonight to chase the leak.
Case open in the warm computer room another job for the weekend:rolleyes:

Associate
Hey BaBa was there any update to this in the end? Was following this at the time a year ago, then just suddenly popped in my head and wondering how you got on!

Back
Top Bottom