Australian Grand Prix 2016, Melbourne - Race 1/21

Caporegime
All the criticism is about cars not being on track but I thought the rule was they had to stay out until eliminated, surely that should have forced at least two to be out until the end of the session?

Unless that rule was rescinded I don't understand how they could have chosen to stay in the pits etc.

That rule was never there. It was a badly worded release that made it look like that was the case that lead quite a few people (including me) to think it was. But it would have never worked with the tyre allocation and how F1 cars perform in Qualifying.

There was a lot of discussion (a lot by me) about how either with or without the cars being forced to be on track the format was crap and wouldn't work. As I said earlier in here, its quite worrying that random fans on the internet can see how stupid it was based on 10 minutes of reading through the proposals, yet the collective intelligence of most F1 team bosses, FOM, and the governing organisation of world Motorsport couldn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
As mentioned above, "one simple tip to get cars out on track" seems to be giving them more tyres for allocated sessions..

P1 used to be boring as everyone saved their tyres, now with a free set for the first 30 mins, all cars go out.. surely with some extra allocated sets just for qualifying, teams would do as many laps as they could without fear of burning through their race allocation.

Caporegime
As mentioned above, "one simple tip to get cars out on track" seems to be giving them more tyres for allocated sessions..

P1 used to be boring as everyone saved their tyres, now with a free set for the first 30 mins, all cars go out.. surely with some extra allocated sets just for qualifying, teams would do as many laps as they could without fear of burning through their race allocation.

Drivers have less tyres per weekend now than they did when we had those indestructible Bridgestones that had to last a race.

There are a lot of very easy, very simple, very obvious fixes that can be made to F1. They are things fans have been saying for years. Yet the FIA just ignores them.

Associate
Come on this is f1, they won't just fix it they'll stick a plaster on it. How about a live graphic of the drivers weight while they stand on the scales for the chequered flag?

Soldato
I liked Bernies comment on the BBC page:

Bernie said:
Ecclestone said: "If we go back, Mercedes would be first and second.

They were first and second today :p and they'll be first and second for the whole season probably cos they've got a car with over a second in hand on 90% of the field!

Not sure blatantly turning round and saying you're changing qualifying with the sole intention of messing Merc up is a good message to be sending out either it's competitive sport not WWE scripting the races! If they're the quickest team then it's up to the others to beat them not make them pull a trailer or something to slow them down :p

Associate
They were first and second today :p and they'll be first and second for the whole season probably cos they've got a car with over a second in hand on 90% of the field!

The idea is that with elimination, is that they've got 5mins to put a representative lap in instead of the usual amount of time. This makes it a bit more difficult for teams and drivers so there's a higher chance they cant put a lap together. I think it does increase the chance that a fast car/driver cant make it through, as evidenced by kvyat who I think would have been fine in a normal session.

Everyone hates the new system so I think that's it done for. However, I feel like it did make Q1 quite good, the track at the start was packed, similar to what we see when there is rain expected. Wasn't sold on it for Q2, it didn't seem to make much a difference and I think perhaps reduced running later in the session. In Q3 the whole thing was a farce, and it completely removed the climax of qualifying.

Back
Top Bottom