• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Bench Thread

Permabanned
Nvidia and Hawaii cards may have better driver memory management for this game. Fiji having HBM likely has a very different driver path. AMD has mentioned that they have to optimize the memory usage on Fiji cards to help mitigate the 4gb VRAM, limit, so it's possible they simply have t achieved that yet. It is also possible that there is much less AMD can do to optimize memory in DX12 since that is song which the API explicitly exposes for developers.

It's a sad state of affairs for HBM's first outing.

It fairs a little better in DX11

https://www.dropbox.com/s/np0ep8sgr1z77g8/20160319115939_1.jpg?dl=0
At least the bushes didn't have to pop in so badly. I've had runs where the grass is missing so you just get a large seethrough gray floor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqh3qoqj9d0tcnp/20160319115808_1.jpg?dl=0

Man of Honour
OP
Nvidia and Hawaii cards may have better driver memory management for this game. Fiji having HBM likely has a very different driver path. AMD has mentioned that they have to optimize the memory usage on Fiji cards to help mitigate the 4gb VRAM, limit, so it's possible they simply have t achieved that yet. It is also possible that there is much less AMD can do to optimize memory in DX12 since that is song which the API explicitly exposes for developers.

With a Fury X I measured what the memory was doing @1080p the other day.

With DX11 the card was using the full 4gb of HBM and swapping out another 3gb to RAM/Disk.

With DX12 the card was using the full 4gb of HBM but hardly anything extra was getting swapped out. It could be that AMD are yet to optimise memory management for DX12.

Soldato
With DX12 the card was using the full 4gb of HBM but hardly anything extra was getting swapped out. It could be that AMD are yet to optimise memory management for DX12.

AMD can't do anything for the memory management since it is explicitly controlled by the application. Which is part of the purpose of having Low Abstraction API's.

Soldato
Yet Hawaii cards run ok.

Can be due to a mixture of things and not just memory managment, considering the issues that GOW:U had. DX12 is rather broken for all in this game at the moment.

Although people have been getting better performance in game compared to what the benchmark shows. The DX12 benchmark can vary a lot between consecutive runs.

Man of Honour
OP
Can be due to a mixture of things and not just memory managment, considering the issues that GOW:U had. DX12 is rather broken for all in this game at the moment.

Although people have been getting better performance in game compared to what the benchmark shows. The DX12 benchmark can vary a lot between consecutive runs.

Sometimes it is a sign that a card does not have enough memory if you get variation between runs.

Permabanned
Is Maxwell still a good choice for these DX12 wrapper games?

IMO, Over the short term if Nvidia keep themselves involved in DX12 games development like they've been with Tomb Raider and Just Cause 3 which has a DX12 patch due then yes,

Long term no-one knows it depends how different the capabilities of there Maxwell replacement is to Maxwell. If as suggested by some it's practically the same just die shrunk then it should continue to do okay but if the new chips are capable of DX12 tech's like A-sync compute on a hardware level then they may actually use that to push people to upgrade from Maxwell by using the tech to highlight it's weaknesses against the new stuff.
Then again this could all be foil hat chat so the truth is we won't know until it happens, At the end of the day they won't suddenly become incapable of running games.
If I needed a card today I'd play it safe and go for a 390 but if I could wait I'd wait.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom